AMD Changes the Game

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

AMD Changes the Game

Post by metalqueen »

AMD CHANGES THE GAME WITH ATI RADEON™ HD 5800 SERIES DIRECTX® 11-COMPLIANT GRAPHICS CARDS, HARNESSING THE MOST POWERFUL PROCESSOR EVER CREATED1

World’s Most Advanced Graphics Processor Allows Consumers to Expand, Accelerate and Dominate Their PC Experience with First Full Support for Microsoft DirectX 112

AMD (NYSE: AMD) today launched the most powerful processor ever created1, found in its next-generation ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 series graphics cards, the world’s first and only to fully support Microsoft DirectX® 112, the new gaming and compute standard shipping shortly with Microsoft Windows® 7 operating system. Boasting up to 2.72 TeraFLOPS of compute power, the ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 series effectively doubles the value consumers can expect of their graphics purchases, delivering twice the performance-per-dollar of previous generations of graphics products.3 AMD will initially release two cards: the ATI Radeon HD 5870 and the ATI Radeon HD 5850, each with 1GB GDDR5 memory. With the ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 series of graphics cards, PC users can expand their computing experience with ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology, accelerate their computing experience with ATI Stream technology, and dominate the competition with superior gaming performance and full support of Microsoft DirectX® 11, making it a “must-have” consumer purchase just in time for Microsoft Windows® 7 operating system.

“With the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards driven by the most powerful processor on the planet, AMD is changing the game, both in terms of performance and the experience,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Products Group, AMD. “As the first to market with full DirectX 11 support, an unmatched experience made possible with ATI Eyefinity technology, and ATI Stream technology harnessing open standards designed to help make Windows 7 that much better, I can say with confidence that AMD is the undisputed leader in graphics once more.”

Dominate your competition with Microsoft DirectX® 11 support

With the ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 series of graphics cards, gamers will enjoy gaming supremacy and the ultimate advantage, realizing incredible HD gaming performance and the most engaging experience possible with DirectX® 11 gaming done right:4

* Designed and built for purpose: Modeled on the full DirectX 11 specifications, the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards delivers up to 2.72 TeraFLOPS of compute power in a single card, translating to superior performance in the latest DirectX 11 games, as well as in DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL titles in single card configurations or multi-card configurations using ATI CrossFireX™ technology. When measured in terms of performance experienced in some of today’s most popular games, the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series is up to twice as fast as the closest competing product in its class,5 allowing gamers to enjoy incredible new DirectX 11 games – including the forthcoming DiRT™2 from Codemasters, and Aliens vs. Predator™ from Rebellion, and updated version of The Lord of the Rings Online™ and Dungeons and Dragons Online® Eberron Unlimited™ from Turbine – all in stunning detail with incredible frame rates.
* Generations ahead of the competition: Building on the success of the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series products, the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards is two generations ahead of DirectX 10.0 support, and features 6th generation evolved AMD tessellation technology, 3rd generation evolved GDDR5 support, 2nd generation evolved 40nm process technology, and a feature-rich compute shader, all geared towards delivering the best gaming experience money can buy.
* The ultimate in game compatibility: The DirectX 11 API was developed on AMD graphics hardware and represents the cornerstone of DirectX 11 gaming. All initial DirectX 11 games were developed and/or continue to be developed on AMD DirectX 11 hardware. With more than 20 DirectX 11 games currently in development, this innate optimization for ATI Radeon graphics cards, in combination with monthly ATI Catalyst™ driver releases, help ensure a stable, reliable and high-performance experience for the latest games.

Accelerate with ATI Stream technology

With the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics card, PC users can unleash Windows 7 and realize the potential of a better computing experience to help do more with their PC:6

* Harness the home supercomputer: One ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card would have been one of the top 15 supercomputers in the world just six years ago – today that same processing power can be found in your home PC, working with high-performance CPUs to deliver a superior experience.7
* Windows® 7 done right: Windows 7 is the first compute-capable operating system and the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards with ATI Stream technology accelerate it like nothing else, being the first and only card to support DirectCompute 11.8
* Create and do more, faster than ever before with ATI Stream technology: Enjoy new features, functionality and improved performance in top media, entertainment and productivity applications made possible by ATI Stream technology.6
* Most expansive support of industry standards: The ATI Radeon HD 5800 of graphics cards fully support both DirectX 11 and OpenCL, ensuring broad application support now and in the future.

Expand the PC experience with ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology

Enjoy multi-monitor computing with seamless enablement of the biggest game environments ever seen:9

* The ultimate in seamless flexibility: Arrange one to three displays using the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 and ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 graphics cards, or up to six displays using the forthcoming ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 Eyefinity6 graphics card, in a variety of configurations – any mix of portrait or landscape.
* See them before they see you: Unlock the potential of multi-monitor gaming at up to 12X full HD resolution, the largest game environments ever displayed.10 Experience more visual detail and expanded battlefields that your gaming competitors may lack.
* Enjoy visual computing in eye-definition: Virtually obsolete scrolling by taking advantage of vast desktop real estate to put more information at your fingertips. Enjoy the best of today’s latest visually-enhanced online applications – social networking, video conferencing, video entertainment, and satellite imagery – all in stunning detail.

Ecosystem support

* The ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 series of graphics cards is supported by a dozen add-in-board companies, including ASUS, Club 3D, Diamond Multimedia, Force3D, GIGABYTE, HIS (Hightech Information Systems), MSI, Multimedia, PowerColor, SAPPHIRE Technology, VisionTek and XFX.

Supporting Quotes

“By incorporating the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics processor’s revolutionary DirectX 11 and ATI Eyefinity multi-monitor capabilities into the Alienware desktop gaming system, Dell Gaming continues to lead the industry in delivering performance, immersion and visual experience levels that shatter all previous limitations,” said Arthur Lewis, head of Dell gaming group.

“I had high expectations of AMD’s new DirectX 11 GPUs, but nothing really prepared me for the breathtaking experience that I’m now enjoying,” said Dirk Ringe, vice president, EA Phenomic. “Frame rates are so silky-smooth at ultra high-resolutions, even with all effects turned to max, that the new hardware makes previous hardware look like a quaint antique! The quality of the rendering in BattleForge is something that I used to dream about only a year ago – and the flexibility and power of DirectCompute 11 opens our eyes to a multitude of new possibilities. We applaud AMD’s and Microsoft’s vision in creating the DirectX 11 API and this amazing new hardware and we can say without hesitation that it represents the future of gaming.”

“We were simply astonished by the performance of the DirectCompute 11 hardware in AMD’s DirectX 11 GPUs,” said Ruslan Didenko, project lead, GSC Gameworld. “By meeting the full DirectX 11 hardware spec AMD has created a beast of a GPU that is light years ahead of its DirectX 10.1 and DirectX 10 predecessors. We strongly recommend a full-on DirectX 11 GPU from AMD as very simply the best way to experience our stunning new game, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat. A vision of loveliness, in every gut-wrenching detail!”

“Trinigy remains committed to supporting the game development industry with top-notch game engine technology that combines efficiency, creative freedom and performance,” said Dag Frommhold, managing director at Trinigy. “We’re extremely excited to be working with AMD to support their DirectX 11 graphics processors. AMD’s quality drivers and hardware complement our commitment to game developers perfectly by empowering them to produce higher-level in-game graphics than ever before.”

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

1. Claim of most powerful processor based on raw compute horsepower measured in FLOPS. Internal calculations show that the processor used in the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series can achieve 2.72 TeraFLOPS, more than any other known microprocessor as of September 23, 2009. FLOPS is not necessarily an indicator of leading performance in every application as AMD GPUs are designed and built to excel specifically in applications involving massively parallel calculations.

2. The GPU in the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics has 2.15 billion transistors. As of September 17, 2009, this is more than any other known processor. As of September 17, 2009 the ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 GPU has the highest GFLOPS/mm2 and GFLOPS/W of all known products. As of September 17, 2009, the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards are the only graphics cards to fully support DirectX 11.

3. The performance-per-dollar offered by the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series at launch is twice the performance-per-dollar offered by the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series at launch. Performance-per-dollar calculated as (theoretical compute power in GFLOPS) / (Launch SEP).

4. HD-capable monitor required.

5. In games including Prey (4xAA, 8xAF), Devil May Cry (8xAA, 16xAF), Lost Planet Colonies (8xAA, 16xAF), Stormrise (no settings; 4xAA, 8xAF; 8xAA, 16xAF), ET: Quake Wars (8xAA, 16xAF), and Riddick -AoDA (8xAA, 16xAF), the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series delivers game performance that is at least 100% faster than the competition. Based on internal testing, using Intel Core7i 965 (3.2GHz @ 3.33GHz), Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard, 6GB DDR3-1600 (timings 9-9-9-24), Windows 7 RTM x64, ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 1GB DDR5 850e/1200m or ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 1GB DDR5 725e/1000m, 8.66-Beta2_090819a-087204E-ATI driver or Nvidia GeForce GTX295 2x896MB DDR3 594e/1296sc/1026m, Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB GDDR3 648e/1476sc/1242m, Nvidia GeForce GTX 275 896MB GDDR3 633e/1404sc/1134m, 190.38 WHQL driver. All benchmark data based on 2560x1600 resolution.

6. Requires application support for ATI Stream technology and a Windows 7-capable system.

7. The graphics processor used on the ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card deliver 2.5 TeraFLOPS of compute power, equivalent to a top ten supercomputer from 2003: http://www.top500.org/list/2003/06/100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8. As of September 17, 2009, the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards are the only graphics cards to support DirectCompute 11.

9. Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology. To enable a third display on an ATI Radeon HD 5850 or ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector.

10. Full HD resolution is considered 1080p (1920x1080 = ~2.1 megapixels). The forthcoming ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity6 graphics card with ATI Eyefinity technology supports six displays at 2560x1600 = ~24.6 megapixels for 12 x full HD resolution. Note that ATI Radeon HD 5870 and ATI Radeon HD 5850 graphics cards with ATI Eyefinity technology supports three displays at 2560x1600 = ~12.3 megapixels for 6 x full HD resolution.
©2009, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, ATI, the ATI logo, Catalyst, CrossFireX, Radeon and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

cybereality

Re: AMD Changes the Game

Post by cybereality »

I don't know, I might have to ditch Nvidia...

martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

"The forthcoming ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity6 graphics card with ATI Eyefinity technology supports six displays at 2560x1600 = ~24.6 megapixels for 12 x full HD resolution. "

Sign me up for 3 of these!
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by BlackShark »

I need a new PC... and i'm already looking for which computer parts i'll use for these graphics cards.

And for the first time ever I am seriously hesitation to go for dualGPU.
Does iz3d or DDD benefit from ATi crossfire or not yet ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

BlackShark wrote:I need a new PC... and i'm already looking for which computer parts i'll use for these graphics cards.

And for the first time ever I am seriously hesitation to go for dualGPU.
Does iz3d or DDD benefit from ATi crossfire or not yet ?
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/0 ... tting-Real" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last year a small company called Lucid promised us GPU scaling across multiple GPU generations with near-linear performance gains without restrictions of SLI or CrossFire. The company has been silent for some time, but now it is not only ready to demonstrate the 2nd generation hardware, but also to show the first retail product that will be available with HYDRA technology. In this article there is a quick look at the MSI 'Big Bang' motherboard that sports the P55 chipset and HYDRA chip and also shows some demos of AMD HD 4890 and NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics cards working together for game rendering. Truly platform-independent GPU scaling is nearly here and the flexibility it will offer gamers could be impressive."
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anotherFrench
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by anotherFrench »

3D stereoscopic display/glasses support
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know exactly what this mean but that sounds good :shutter
http://tls3d.fr le site de Toute La Stéréo 3D

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

anotherFrench wrote:
3D stereoscopic display/glasses support
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/ ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know exactly what this mean but that sounds good :shutter
Oh crap!!!! Did ATI finally wake up? If you read the fine print it says:
Requires 3D stereo drivers, glasses, and display
Are they referring to 3rd-party drivers (which already work) or is this something else?

Neil or the guys at IZ3D: can you talk to AMD/ATI and find out what this means?

Neil

Post by Neil »

Sorry, I'm not permitted to comment on this one. :wink:

What made you think AMD wasn't awake?!? They have already worked with MTBS on U-DECIDE and they went on a press tour with iZ3D.

Regards,
Neil

BlackBadger
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BlackBadger »

I got all excited at first reading this thread, however there are caveats that mean the game hasn't changed at all.

1) The Eyefinity (multi monitor) does not support stereo3D.
2) IZ3D is not available worldwide - will it ever be ? So for the majority ATI is only good for anaglyph :cry:

The 5800 series are great cards, however Nvidia will bite back with the more powerful 300 series shortly, providing more options for us 3D users.

If IZ3D got the shutter drivers working, it would be a different story.

As far as AtI going on press tours etc, it really has no relevance to stereo3D. Well time will tell, maybe they have got something nice coming up.

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

BlackBadger wrote:1) The Eyefinity (multi monitor) does not support stereo3D.
How do you know this? What exactly are you basing this speculation upon? Has anybody even tried?
BlackBadger wrote:2) IZ3D is not available worldwide - will it ever be ? So for the majority ATI is only good for anaglyph :cry:
So because you live in the middle of nowhere and cannot figure out how to import equipment therefore the Radeon HD 5870 is not a good product. Nice logic.

On topic: I have been reading more about this Eyefinity and it has a lot of caveats. Mainly that you need at least one DisplayPort capable monitor to enable the triple-head Eyefinity driver. So that rules out the Zalman Trimon and IZ3D right off the bat (obviously the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses won't work). Supposedly there should be some adapters that will allow you to use DVI monitors but they cost over $100 and even then no one can get it to work. I think I am just sticking with Nvidia.

BlackBadger
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BlackBadger »

How do you know this? What exactly are you basing this speculation upon? Has anybody even tried?
You did answer the question yourself, you need a specialist display-port enabled monitor. Although 3d versions with time will no doubt come, currently they do not exist, nor can I find any info of 3D capable screens being released with this. By the time they are readily available the 5800 will be superseded, making it not a wise choice for stereo3D.

I, as millions of others live in high-tech civilised Europe.. the USA is not the centre of the planet. Sure we can import goods at silly prices, with very poor after sales support. It only takes a fools logic to suggest that it would be a good idea. IZ3D prices for Europe are around 2x the price of nvidia compatible 120hz lcd monitor (Samsung or Viewsonic). Which are undoubtedly more versatile better monitors. I did make it very clear
The 5800 series are great cards
but just not for stereoscopic3D, unless you have a iz3d monitor.

I'm just pointing out the facts as they are, I actually would prefer a more competitive playing field it would only benefit us end users. As far as I can see Ati have done little for stereoscopic 3D (apart from paying for mtbs3d). Neil makes out he knows something we don't, hopefully he does.

Neil

Post by Neil »

I think you are all assuming way too much. You are assuming what is being discussed, who is involved, and what the ramifications are. All I said was that AMD has a pulse on the industry, nothing more. Their previous work with MTBS and iZ3D are just examples of this.

Regards,
Neil

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@BlackBadger: I understand there are a large number of people that don't live in the US. However AMD is an American company so you have to expect they will be releasing products in their home country. The fact that you cannot obtain said product in your location has no bearing whatsoever on the merits of that product. Its completely irrelevant. Thats like saying because I don't have a drivers license and can't afford a Lamborghini Murcielago that somehow its not a nice car. The logic just doesn't make sense. I want a Fujifilm W1 3D camera, but its only available in Japan at the moment. Does that make it any less of an innovative product?

Regarding the 5870 and stereoscopic gaming, yes it can certainly work. Out of box its almost surely compatible with the iz3d driver, which supports the iz3d monitor (duh!), the Zalman Trimon (19" and 22"), the VR920 3D HMD, The Hyundai interlaced monitors (up to 46"), the Miracube monitors (24", 32", 46"), every 3D-Ready DLP (there are like a dozen from Mitsubishi and Samsung), CRT + shutterglasses in interlaced mode (Edimensional, etc.), custom dual projection passive-polarized rigs, DIY planar setups, Anaglyph, etc. etc. Then there is also the DDD TriDef Ignition driver which supports most of what I listed above. I've just listed nearly every S3D solution available barring the Nvidia 3D Vision. No 3D support, huh? The only question is will any of these solutions work with Eyefinity, that I do not know. But I imagine with enough effort it would be possible. I know the IZ3D works with the Matrox TH2G, so it is likely it could support Eyefinity maybe with only a driver update. I also know someone that got triple Zalman 19" working in stereo 3d. Its not that big of a leap to think the 5870 could handle this. So the premise for your entire post is just flat out wrong. Sorry.

anotherFrench
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by anotherFrench »

BlackBadger wrote: 2) IZ3D is not available worldwide - will it ever be ? So for the majority ATI is only good for anaglyph :cry:
they work perfectly with iz3D drivers + zalman trimon
they work perfectly with iz3D drivers + planar screen or dual projectors
they work nice with iz3D drivers + edimensinal or other shuter glasses in interlaced mode

and I'm certainly forgeting some solutions that work great with ati's cards and anyway, the futur 3D standarts still have to be defined so if they want to make some 3D products they still have time to make it good, probably way better than nvidia's 3D vision that are compatible with almust nothing, won't even work under xp :roll:

ps: sorry cybereality, didn't read your post and wrote what you already said :oops:
http://tls3d.fr le site de Toute La Stéréo 3D

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by Okta »

IMHO AMD has close to zero relevance in the 3d game at the moment. If you use interelaced mode with an ati card you get the Iz3d driver free i believe. That is nice but i doubt many poeple would base their gpu purchase from this alone. Most would just buy their prefered gpu and pay the extra $50 for the iz3d license if required and still have Nvidia options open.
Just my 2c.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by BlackShark »

You forgot to mention that iz3d and DDD are compatible with Samsung's 3D plasmas which are at last being sold in europe, they are one year late so they're quite cheap now. (Samsung PS42B451 and PS50B451)

The only thing you can't run on ATi are :
- Shutters on CRT monitors -> iZ3D's working on it but seriously who still wants a CRT in 2009/2010 ?
- The nvidia DRM-locked proprietary shutters -> which are interesting today but seriously restricts your consumer freedom of choosing your products. (you have to use a PC, you can't use a Blu Ray player, TV broadcast or a PS3/X360)

You have to remember that there will be a massive arrival of shutter based 3D TVs by Q4 2010 which will come with cheap standard interoperable shutter glasses which will be compatible with everything (unlike the nvidia glasses). Most of the 3D hardware we have today will be obsolete next year.

So don't neglect ATi that easily, it does 3D and it does it pretty well.
It's not about saying which hardware manufacturer crushes the other, i leave that to console wars (sega vs nintendo, sony vs microsoft, etc...).
Nvidia does have an edge with their very nice exclusive shutters but PC is all about the ability to choose independently any hardware and be assured it will be compatible and work.

The nvidia glasses sure are a very neat 3D solution, but it restricts my hardware choices too much, so i'm not interested.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501

winlonghorn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by winlonghorn »

anotherFrench wrote:
BlackBadger wrote: 2) IZ3D is not available worldwide - will it ever be ? So for the majority ATI is only good for anaglyph :cry:
they work perfectly with iz3D drivers + zalman trimon
they work perfectly with iz3D drivers + planar screen or dual projectors
they work nice with iz3D drivers + edimensinal or other shuter glasses in interlaced mode

and I'm certainly forgeting some solutions that work great with ati's cards and anyway, the futur 3D standarts still have to be defined so if they want to make some 3D products they still have time to make it good, probably way better than nvidia's 3D vision that are compatible with almust nothing, won't even work under xp :roll:

ps: sorry cybereality, didn't read your post and wrote what you already said :oops:
I have only one question. Why is it that when I had an IZ3D Monitor, I couldn't get it to work worth anything at all? :( I had very wierd and confusing issues where the one display would be a game and the other would be the desktop display. Why would these issues happen and why couldn't I resolve them? Personally, I very much prefer Polarized 3D, but I had to go with Nvidia due to these issues. Is there any way around that? It seemed like the glasses were great when it came to avoiding headaches too! I want IZ3D to work for me (very much). Any help is very much appreciated.

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

BlackShark wrote: Nvidia does have an edge with their very nice exclusive shutters but PC is all about the ability to choose independently any hardware and be assured it will be compatible and work.

The nvidia glasses sure are a very neat 3D solution, but it restricts my hardware choices too much, so i'm not interested.
well said, when are these global hardware manufacturers going to learn that splintered proprietary hardware/software solutions lead to a fragmented, hesitant and confused user base of potential customers who sit on the fence until the war has ended. And those early adopter manufacturers suffer tens of millions of pounds in deficit revenues just like Toshiba did with HD versus Blu-ray. The global car manufacturers realiseD that and decided to use each other's chassis/ R and D etc to offset costs which surely lessening the impact of the current economic downturn for them.

We need a global player like Microsoft/Apple (with no vested interest with the manufacturers) to mandate a direct X type Blu-ray S-3D standard to "Whip" these manufacturers into shape and finally get this Blu-ray HD S-3D global phenomenon moving with one solution for home theatre and gaming!

As the theatre S-3D solutions seem to be doing fine with their proprietary solutions I feel that they are an exception to the rule and should not be taken as a basis of good practice to follow for home users manufacturers.
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

shaolin95
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shaolin95 »

Sorry but I am not excited at all with this.
DX11...so what, we barely have DX10 games now.
Eyefinity...er, no thanks, I can do 3 monitors with software if I wanted but 6 with those horrible bezels.... :shock:
Besides, 3 or 6 , it is still a 2d flat world.
I am staying with Nvidia until I see full 3D support from ATI and Nvidia is no longer at the same level as them...none of those seem to be happening any time soon.
BTW, I own ATI cards as well and I am an AMD phenom II user so I am not brand fan boy, just go with the one that has what I want.
Regards

Return to “MTBS Newswire”