Read the whole story here: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6697630.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;3D ENTERTAINMENT SUMMIT: Analyst: Consumers resistant to high premiums for 3D
by Susanne Ault
The first wave of advanced 3D at home products, including the first stereoscopic Blu-ray Disc players and titles, are expected to hit retail in 2010, and consumers should be mostly ready for them, insisted participants at Thursday’s 3D Entertainment Summit, in association with Variety, here.
DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg gave this potential new business segment a grand endorsement in his keynote.
During his keynote at last year’s conference, Katzenberg said he believed that 3D at home products were a long way off, as manufacturers and studios were still hammering out how they would bow compatible hardware and software. However, there has been a flurry of development across the media industry in the last several months, bringing 3D at home closer to a reality sooner.
The Blu-ray Disc Assn. has said it will release complete universal specifications for stereoscopic 3D high-def discs by the end of this year. With that cemented, Sony and Panasonic have committed to 2010 launches of TVs and Blu-ray players. Also, Disney marketed 3D Blu-ray content at its recent D23 fan conference.
“It will be a number of years before you get to deep penetration, but we still will see a robust market that will begin to emerge in 2010,” Katzenberg said. “All the major manufacturers are aggressively rolling 3D products beginning next year.”
Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- 3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm
- Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.