Why games will lead 3D tech into our homes

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

Blitz Games' CEO Andrew Oliver on the march of 3D
by Andrew Oliver

Most people tend to see 3D as a bit tacky. A bit '60s. A bit faddy. Actually the first 3D film came out in 1922, and the technology is far from new. And yes, there was a resurgence (of a sort) in the '50s and '60s but most people are simply unaware of the recent phenomenal improvements in 3D technology.

In fact, one of the biggest problems we're coming across at Blitz Games is that people are failing to see the sheer progress made with this technology over the last 87 years and also failing to understand what it can do now.

Back in the so called 'golden age' of 3D cinema in the '50s film-makers still used two projectors to create 3D images, which effectively destroyed the quality of the picture in the process.

The much more recent IMAX films were a step in the right direction, but still used analogue technology and were a far cry from the results we're now getting with stereoscopic Digital 3D.
Read the whole story here: http://www.techradar.com/blogs/article/ ... mes-629869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Why games will lead 3D tech into our homes

Post by ssiu »

One major problem we face before this can become a widespread reality is the lack of technology needed to display 3D games – 3D TVs. But we are closer than you may think and if you've recently bought a new high-end TV, the chances are it will already be 3D-Ready.
I wish that is true but it is absolutely not true, unless the article is from December 2010. (Oh the irony -- if you want to buy a plasma HDTV but can't spend too much, you may stumble into a Samsung 720p model that is 3D-ready (most problably without knowing it), but if you can afford more and got a 1080p model, it won't be 3D-ready.)

martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

SSiu I have a mitsubishi DLP, it is 1080P in 2d and does dlp checkerboard s3d.
fact, one of the biggest problems we're coming across at Blitz Games is that people are failing to see the sheer progress made with this technology over the last 87 years and also failing to understand what it can do

Further to Andrew's point. Friday I was sitting in the PAX game developers conference watching a panel about Halo 3 : ODST. A nice couple was sitting next to me and said they had tried stereo3D a long time ago with the old shutter glasses and crt and they didn't like it. I asked them had they went to a new stereo3d movie like up or monster v. aliens, they said no, they didn't like it back then, and they wouldn't like it now. I spent a lot of time trying to explain it is a whole new ballgame now and much better, and they told me they would go see a new s3d movie and "test" it to see if things had really gotten better. Misconceptions are everywhere for everyone. Lots of people at PAX have heard about stereo3d, but some think it only means anaglyph. Some think it means the glasses of old and will give you headaches. Some think it doesn't do anything and is just a fad. But some, and a few EA people at Pax in particular, seemed very passionate and understood the world is being changed and were very passionate and informed.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

ssiu wrote:
One major problem we face before this can become a widespread reality is the lack of technology needed to display 3D games – 3D TVs. But we are closer than you may think and if you've recently bought a new high-end TV, the chances are it will already be 3D-Ready.
I wish that is true but it is absolutely not true, unless the article is from December 2010. (Oh the irony -- if you want to buy a plasma HDTV but can't spend too much, you may stumble into a Samsung 720p model that is 3D-ready (most problably without knowing it), but if you can afford more and got a 1080p model, it won't be 3D-ready.)
Go check this list, you will see the vast majority of 3d-ready sets are indeed 1080P:
http://www.3dmovielist.com/3dhdtvs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I do agree that the original article is misleading. Only a very small fraction of TVs on the market are 3D-ready.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”