Optinvent promises to offer Clear Vu HMD for less $200

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Optinvent promises to offer Clear Vu HMD for less $200

Post by Silversurfer »

" While some may say that price isn't the main factor that's been holding HMDs back from mass acceptance, France's Optinvent (a spin-off of Thomson S.A.) is apparently of that opinion, and it's now promising to deliver a full-fledged HMD for less than $200 by the end of next year. In addition to their trend-setting good looks (to be further refined in the final version), the company's so-called Clear Vu goggles make use of a reflection system that displays images in the wearer's field of vision rather than completely obstructing it, which the company says opens to the door a whole host of augmented reality possibilities -- like heads-up GPS directions, for instance. Unfortunately, the company isn't offering much in the way of actual specs just yet, although it does say the goggles will display an image size equivalent to a 71-inch TV placed 2.5 meters away."

Article:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/opti ... -than-200/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope they don't change the style to much as these specs design look quite stylish to me, could double as a nice pair of "Gordon Freeman-Half Life" Sun/augmented reality sunglasses?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Optinvent promises to offer Clear Vu HMD for less $200

Post by cybereality »

Those glasses have some promise for $200. Also, I imagine the final design will be a lot slicker looking than that clunky prototype. However no word on specs so who knows what you get for $200 bucks. Is it even 3D? What resolution? I might pick one up if its decent. I am also waiting for the Vuzix Wrap AV920 so lets see how it stacks up to that:

PalmerTech
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by PalmerTech »

Holy poop, I just figured out how those Vuzix wraps are gonna work. :lol:

Tril
Certif-Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Post by Tril »

There's something I'm wondering, about augmented reality HMDs. A regular HMD contains some optics to make the nearby displays appear to be far away. How does it work with an augmented reality HMD that you see through? You still need optics to make the close displays appear far away or you won't see them as they will be out of focus. Won't the optics interfere with viewing the surrounding through the HMD? Is there another lense behind the displays to make the surroundings undistorted?
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Tril wrote:There's something I'm wondering, about augmented reality HMDs. A regular HMD contains some optics to make the nearby displays appear to be far away. How does it work with an augmented reality HMD that you see through? You still need optics to make the close displays appear far away or you won't see them as they will be out of focus. Won't the optics interfere with viewing the surrounding through the HMD? Is there another lense behind the displays to make the surroundings undistorted?
Thats a good question, I hadn't thought about that one. Could potentially be really weird.

craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by craylon »

Tril wrote:There's something I'm wondering, about augmented reality HMDs. A regular HMD contains some optics to make the nearby displays appear to be far away. How does it work with an augmented reality HMD that you see through? You still need optics to make the close displays appear far away or you won't see them as they will be out of focus. Won't the optics interfere with viewing the surrounding through the HMD? Is there another lense behind the displays to make the surroundings undistorted?
I'm interested in that as well.
So far I have only heard of augmented reality (on a mobile phone i.e.) that mixes the 3d objects into a camera image but if the glasses are see through another technique is needed.

Seems to me we need to do some digging into this subject...

PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Take a look at those pics of thew Vuzix wrap: They have the sunglass lens, and you can see rectangular shaped "something" behind them. I bet they are projecting the image onto the inside of the lens, and that little rectangle bit is the focusing lens.

Okta
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by Okta »

Meh, more ipod viewers, the market is thick with them.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

anotherFrench
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by anotherFrench »

I found this (sorry in french) about similar glasses or are those the same one? from optinvent, they seem to be 3D compatible:
http://www.lexpansion.com/economie/actu ... 81688.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://tls3d.fr le site de Toute La Stéréo 3D

Return to “MTBS Newswire”