3DTV research to improve experience

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

by Colin Holland

LONDON — Films made in 3D could become more impressive as a result of work being carried out by a De Montfort University Leicester (DMU) researcher.

Dr Cristian Serdean is exploring an alternative way of creating high quality 3D from 2D stereoscopic images – stereoscopic images are created by filming two sets of footage of the same subject but from slightly different angles, corresponding to the viewer’s left and right eye.

Dr Serdean has been awarded a £182,693 grant under the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council’s First Grant Scheme to fund the work.

Traditionally, the 3D effect is achieved by shooting stereoscopic images and then merging them for display purposes. The resulting film is seen in 3D with the aid of special glasses designed to pass the correct image to each eye which the brain then processes into 3D information.

Read the whole story here: http://eetimes.eu/uk/218500241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

funkee
Cross Eyed!

Re: 3DTV research to improve experience

Post by funkee »

Interesting, but hardly new research I would say. This work has been done over and over already. He is also mistaking if he thinks that the disparity estimation as such is the only big problem. There are many things you need to do right, as shown by Philips 3D Solutions. But I am sure that it's a nice PhD project.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I am still a bit skeptical about the quality of a 2D+depth screen. I don't know how this would match the quality of two discrete recordings. It sounds like a clever optimization (especially if you need 8+ views) but I'm not sure its going to give the full detail of a true stereoscopic image. Still, sounds like fun research.

Omni
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Omni »

From the article:

"One point from the left image will have a corresponding point in the right image, but due to the slightly different angles at which the two images were captured, the location of this point will be slightly displaced compared with the location in the left image ."

This is not true. I don't understand how anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of stereopsis can say such a thing.

Omni
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Omni »

All right. He was giving a simplified explanation for a general audience. But what does he intend to do with pixels that have no corresponding pixel in the other eye? I am doing a project with a depth map derived from a left and a right view, so I see the lack of data caused by occlusion every time I look at the depth map.

I don't think autostereo is a goal worth pursuing, maybe because I wear glasses anyway. Orthostereo is much more important. Or at least understanding why orthostereo is not important, as it doesn't seem to matter very much to anybody, really.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”