Report: GPS screens going 3D

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by metalqueen »

3D GPS map-A new display technology allows a 3D image to be displayed without old-fashioned colored glasses

Anyone who’s played a modern video game knows there’s 3D and then there’s 3D. Many GPS systems already provide for virtual 3D displays of buildings and surface features, but now technology is getting ready to push in-car navigation systems to true 3D.

The display technology uses a dual-image LCD to shows pairs of slightly offset images that compose to form a 3D image with actual depth. The possibilities the technology could have for interface design, augmented reality and mapping have sparked the interest of some of the biggest names in the business.
Read the whole story here: http://www.carmk.com/2009/07/10/report- ... -going-3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Report: GPS screens going 3D

Post by cybereality »

One of the first companies to make the jump into 3D is likely to be Land Rover, which already has 3D-Ready screens available as an option in its vehicles.
I wonder what purpose that would serve? Is someone really going to lug around a PC with stereo drivers and a wired headset to watch "Spy Kids 3D" over and over again in the backseat of their car?

WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Report: GPS screens going 3D

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Good point.

I think it's probably for future S-3D game consoles.
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes

Return to “MTBS Newswire”