3D means new rules for directors

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

by Rafe Needleman

The rise of 3D technology for movies and television will force a change in how directors tell stories.

Say good-bye to gut-wrenching drops off cliffs and swoops through asteroid fields to call attention to 3D effects. Be prepared for directors to use slower pans, less cutting, and more deliberate camera moves to blend the technology into the story. These new 3D movies may look boring in 2D, but they'll end up feeling more engaging when seen in three dimensions.

"Unfortunately, the history of 3D is bad 3D," says Sandy Climan, CEO of 3ality, a company that makes, as he calls it, "end-to-end technologies from image capture to processing" for three-dimensional entertainment. The technology hasn't been up to snuff until recently, he says. He claims his company's tech is leagues better, naturally. But the art hasn't advanced, either, and no amount of technology can fix that. Directors need new rules.
Read the whole story here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10266869-250.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: 3D means new rules for directors

Post by Gae43 »

Say good-bye to gut-wrenching drops off cliffs and swoops through asteroid fields to call attention to 3D effects. Be prepared for directors to use slower pans, less cutting, and more deliberate camera moves to blend the technology into the story. These new 3D movies may look boring in 2D, but they'll end up feeling more engaging when seen in three dimensions
That's good news. As an older viewer, I personally prefer the slower paced films that give you time to absorb the onscreen info and reflect on what you see rather than be bombarded by subliminal imagery which in the end is just tedious and draining on the senses. Slower panning shots and lingering depth shots will look great in 3D.

Gae

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hey! I like swoops through asteroid fields! Give me more popcorn 3D!!!

WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

IMO more directors should shoot like Alfred Hitchcock, moderate pace, but interesting.

Anyone see Dial 'M' for Murder or maybe the original Taking of Pelham 123 (not Hitchcock but well done!)?

(oops, wrong section! :oops: )
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes

WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Heads-up for amatuer directors: if you are thinking of using the 2 cams side-by-side technique be aware that you can't do extreme tilting of the cameras it will mis-align the horizontal level in the scene and wreck havok on the eyes of the viewers.
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes

Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

Anyone see Dial 'M' for Murder or maybe the original Taking of Pelham 123 (not Hitchcock but well done!)?
Dial M looks great in 3D, even on the poor quality VHS version thats out there and Taking of Pelham 123 (original version) is a classic......gesundheit :mrgreen: !!!

Gae43

DavidGhast
Banned

Post by DavidGhast »

WheatstoneHolmes wrote:Heads-up for amatuer directors: if you are thinking of using the 2 cams side-by-side technique be aware that you can't do extreme tilting of the cameras it will mis-align the horizontal level in the scene and wreck havok on the eyes of the viewers.
You say that like its a bad thing. The technique your referring to is the flying dutchman, which i just invented.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”