Michael Bay thinks 3D "might be a gimmick"

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Michael Bay thinks 3D "might be a gimmick"

Post by metalqueen »

According to slashfilm.com, American movie director and producer Michael Bay (Transformers, Armageddon, The Island Pearl Harbor) thinks 3 "might be a gimmick"!
Michael Bay Thinks 3D “Might Be a Gimmick”

ShoWest is a convention for movie theater owners, so it’s no surprise that the buzz word of the con is “3D”. Movie theaters are looking to make more money, and so far 3D screens have proven to be vastly more profitable than traditional screens. Enter Michael Bay, who appeared last night to accept his Vanguard Award for Excellence. Apparently Bay doesn’t think 3D is “Awesome”.

“3D? I don’t know… I might be old school. I think it might be a gimmick,” said Bay, later adding: “I don’t know, we’ll see. I’m looking forward to [James] Cameron’s picture.”

When Bay made the comment on stage at the award reception, it drew gasps from the crowd of theater owners. Someone asked if Bay would ever consider shooting Transformers 3 using 3D cameras, and Bay explained that even if it wasn’t a gimmick or fad, 3D is too fragile for his explosive-level of filmmaking.
Read the whole story here: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/03/mic ... a-gimmick/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are your thoughts? How do you feel about Bay's statements?
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

cybereality

Re: Michael Bay thinks 3D "might be a gimmick"

Post by cybereality »

Bay is just a hater. No doubt once 3d goes mainstream he will jump on the bandwagon.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

Well, his cautious statement hopefully indicates good things. :P :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Post by Freke1 »

:D 3D in theater:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWFHj9L_1sQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by Okta »

Coming from a maker of crap movies like Bay i see this as a positve.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I'm glad at least Bay is going to go see Cameron's 3D movie. Perhaps it will blow him out of the water, proove that its NOT a gimmick. Then perhaps we could see Transformers 3(D) :) How great would Unicron look in S-3D. WOW!

Damo3000
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other

Post by Damo3000 »

Michael Bay is a gimmick!

:P
Windows 8
Nvidia 3D Vision
Oculus Rift Dev 1.0
GTX 470
Optoma HD33

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Bay wasn't finished bashing 3D, here are his recent comments:
And so when he finally does get around to Transformers 3, will it be in 3D? On the hot, up-and-coming technology, he says, "I prefer the flat screen. I'm not jumping to do 3-D at all-it's a pain in the neck to shoot it and I actually like the flat image. I've heard that some people can't even see 3-D and, moreover, that a major side effect of watching it is feeling exhausted. Can you imagine how you'd feel watching one of my movies in 3-D?"
http://www.cinematical.com/2009/07/03/m ... -3-and-3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I've read that Michael Bay is considered a joke by many in the film industry let alone what a large percent of us "consumers" think of him. (Personally, I loved Armageddon, not sure what to think of Transformers though.)

I wonder if he'll retract his statements once he see's Avatar.
Can you imagine how you'd feel watching one of my movies in 3-D?"
I don't think I've seen anyone with such a Huge-Ego before...
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by Okta »

cybereality wrote:Bay wasn't finished bashing 3D, here are his recent comments:
And so when he finally does get around to Transformers 3, will it be in 3D? On the hot, up-and-coming technology, he says, "I prefer the flat screen. I'm not jumping to do 3-D at all-it's a pain in the neck to shoot it and I actually like the flat image. I've heard that some people can't even see 3-D and, moreover, that a major side effect of watching it is feeling exhausted. Can you imagine how you'd feel watching one of my movies in 3-D?"
http://www.cinematical.com/2009/07/03/m ... -3-and-3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His points are all valid and didnt really come across as a bash. His movies would be terrible in 3d because he uses shaky-cam ADHD style as a crutch where he close ups on the action so you cant see whats happening.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”