It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 3D side by side in Photoshop 
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Hi guys. Just thought I'd quickly share my findings to anyone who has Photoshop and wants to do 2D to 3D conversions.
Basically, you can convert either a single image or video clip by creating a depth map and then using the distort/displace filter. Depending on how good your depth map is, the results vary from quite good to superb. If you use the "Actions" command you can batch convert images and re-build the 3D video using Virtualdub. I've been experimenting with this method for a few weeks now and can convert a 2D video clip of a few seconds length to 3D side by side in about 20-30 mins. Yes, it's laborious, but with the limited amount of 3D available at the moment it's a great way of seeing some of your favourite 2D clips in 3D. Originally I was using the demo version of bas-relief but as it only does anaglyph (in the demo version) I discovered that Photoshop has an even better way of producing the 3D side.

Here is a tutorial on YouTube that explains how to use the displace filter to create a 3D side by side image from a normal 2D image. The version I use is Photoshop 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r4M_KHt6aw

Gae43

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Ok, thats cool. I actually started working on a program that worked off the same principle. It lets you draw a depth map and convert images to 3D. At some point I want to finish that program (and maybe add video support) but I never have any time.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Yes, I remember you mentioning it before Cybereality.

I guess I've got so fed up of waiting for the new 3D formats to arrive and the realisation that prices will be sky high, I've gone down the 2D to 3D conversion route. I might add that I am a big 3D fan and have almost every anaglyph DVD release of the past few years which I've converted to side by side /field sequential etc. The problem that I found with the conversions though was that there was always some ghosting or colour bleeding and the results were very rarely what you could call "perfect".
What I like about the Photoshop conversions is that the end result is a nice clean reproduction of the 2D side. Also, being able to see your favourite film clips in 3D is a real buzz. So far I've done a 10 min scene from "Jason and the Argonauts" and just finishing off a 3 minute scene from "Goldfinger" (the Alpine Car chase).
I may eventually set up a YouTube page using the YT3D enable player and put up each clip that I convert. There are just so many magic movie moments that are worthy of the 2D to 3D treatment that the problem is, where do you start? Also, it is a very laborious process and can take a week or so ( a few hours a day work) just to convert a few minutes.

Does anyone know what the copyright issues would be, doing short clip conversions and putting them up on YouTube?

Roll on "on the fly" 2D to 3D conversion (if it will every be possible) and I hope the Major studios will start releasing 3D classics and decent 2D to 3D conversions of their classic movies pretty soon.

Gae43

Last edited by Gae43 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 am
Profile WWW

Here's an anaglyph screengrab of the Talos scene that I converted. :)

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:13 am
Profile WWW
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Hey, thats not bad. Looks better than Clash of the Titans, thats for sure.

In terms of copyright issues its still a problem. I had posted a 5 minute clip of Gladiator which I converted to 3D using the TriDef player on YouTube3D and within a week I had Paramount's lawyers breathing down my neck and they made me take the clip off. I had also converted a scene from The Dark Knight and no one said anything about that but I took it off just to avoid any problems. So if you post any of those clips, its at your own risk.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:58 am

Quote:
In terms of copyright issues its still a problem. I had posted a 5 minute clip of Gladiator which I converted to 3D using the TriDef player on YouTube3D and within a week I had Paramount's lawyers breathing down my neck and they made me take the clip off. I had also converted a scene from The Dark Knight and no one said anything about that but I took it off just to avoid any problems. So if you post any of those clips, its at your own risk.

Wow, really? That's a bit worrying. I read somewhere that Columbia are quite litigious too.

Although, the films that you mentioned are quite modern films...that may have been the problem. Personally, I'm only interested in converting short scenes from older classic movies that I have a particular affinity for. Still, after your experience, I think I'll keep any future 2D to 3D conversions that I do strictly for my own viewing pleasure. ;) Well, apart from the odd screengrab here and there maybe! :)

Gae43

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Really great idea to use depthmap function in Photoshop, man!

Thanks for the great tutorial too!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:21 am
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Awesome idea, and awesome guide! Maybe I can put my unemployment to some more good use (Learned how to juggle today!)

I would love to see some of your conversions, the lack of 3D content is killing me! I mean, could someone please rip MvsA already? (haha yes I know there's a lot more to it) Keep up the good work and I hope you can find a way to share what you've done besides anaglyph screengrabs. Thanks again for the guide. If I can get anything remotely decent going I'll be sure to post back here.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:55 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Woww...nowadays need to be extra careful when it comes to IP or copyright.
Seems like everyone afford to pay a lawyer.

Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]