It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Looking for info on 3d glass specs 
Two Eyed Hopeful

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a little project which will incorporate 3d glasses. As far as I understand the tech, active shutter is the best performing current 3d glass tech, but I'm having trouble finding information on whether the quality between different set of active shutter glasses varies a lot, and which glasses are the best in the business at the moment.

The comparisons I find mostly just compare the battery life and all sorts of extra features that I'm not too interested on. Is there differences on the shutter speeds or the amount of darkening when looking through the glasses between different models?

Ideally, I would like to use glasses that have the best shutter performance, as I want to use glasses + OLED screens and have the biggest time window possible in showing images to different eyes.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 am
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

There are definitely differences between different shutter glasses, but it's not by a huge amount.

For the most part, they all seem to run at 120Hz (at least the ones I've tried).

A lot of the time, your choice of display will dictate which glasses you can use. For example, for PC monitors it's almost exclusive Nvidia 3D Vision or for DLP projectors you would use DLP-Link and so forth.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:56 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful

Alright, thanks for the information!

I guess then for prototyping the best option is to go for Nvidia 3D vision so the testing can be done directly on a PC.

Any idea if it is possible to have two monitors to sync with the shutter glasses so they both display the image for the correct eye at the same time?

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:51 am

Syncing monitors is a very difficult task to do on your own.

There is Nvidia 3D Vision Surround, which allows you to use multiple monitors, but only with a single full-screen app running on a single PC.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:41 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful

Thanks a lot for the information, its very helpful. Do you have experience with circularly polarized 3d?

With passive glasses having multiple screens wouldnt be a problem I guess, but what about viewing angles? Does it work at all at steep angles, say looking at a screen from a 60 degree angle from the side?

What I'm interested is does the frame each glass receives get distorted with circular polarization at steep angles. I know that tilting your head doesnt cause any anomalies, but havent found info on wether looking at the screen from the side does.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:46 am

Yeah, so polarized screens would solve the sync issue. However, they typically only look good from directly in front of them.

Vertical angles are even worse, but off-center horizontal is still somewhat lacking.

It's not that it doesn't work, it will just ghost more or result in incorrect color shifts (for example, tinting purple). Depending on your application, this may or may not be acceptable.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]