It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm

[ 2 posts ] 
 Wolfenstein 3D in stereoscopic 3D 
One Eyed Hopeful

Almost two years ago, I added stereoscopic rendering support to Wolf4SDL, which is an SDL port of Wolfenstein 3D.

Although I included support for OpenGL Quad Buffering as well as interleaved modes, I had not been able to test if quad buffered mode works, because I didn't have a 3D system that supported it, and it wasn't enabled in consumer graphics card drivers until about a year and a half ago. I had only been using it with my Zalman Trimon monitor.

Until a few weeks ago, that is. I got an Asus VG278HE monitor and an nVidia 3D Vision 2 system.

Finally, I was able to try it out and see if it works. Guess what? If worked perfectly.

Since Wolf4SDL also supports custom resolutions, this means with my modified version, you can play Wolf3D in stereoscopic 3D and 1920x1080 resolution.

If you want to try this out, you can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe6ufrmfmxtyr56/Wolf4SDL.zip

You will need the files from the full 6-episode version of Wolf3D for it to work. You can also run it with fan-made maps, of course. If you need help getting Wolf4SDL to work, see this thread.

My modified version has been upgraded to use SDL 2, and has a few other major improvements to the game. I won't list them all here; I'll leave you to find them. :)

To enable quad-buffered stereoscopic mode, run the exe with the parameter "--stereomode 1". To set screen shift, add the parameter "--stereoscreenshift x", where x is the screen shift in pixels. (Default is 64; 96 is better on many monitors.) The camera separation is locked at 7 cm in the game world.

To set the resolution to 1920x1080, add the parameter "--resf 1920 1080".

I bet you never thought it would be possible to play Wolfenstein 3D in stereoscopic 3D. Well, it is, because iD Software released the source code. :)

As many of you probably know, Wolfenstein 3D was released in 1992, and was the game that started the FPS genre. Even with it's primitive graphics, playing it in stereoscopic 3D is an immersive virtual reality experience.

Last edited by Matthew on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Nice one!

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:37 am
   [ 2 posts ]