It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:00 am

[ 4 posts ] 
 MmMm Sweet Delicious Widescreen Stereoscopy 
One Eyed Hopeful

for only a ridiculous sum of money (over $8000) you can have an awesome stereoscopic widescreen display!

apologies if this is already old news for everyone here, but the way this is done is pretty cool.. the price of this thing doesn't matter.. this is the kind of tech that is just waiting to be shrunk down to headgear size...

This display can be used simultaneously by multiple users, sitting or standing, and they'll see the same quality image because there is no "sweet spot" anywhere on the screen.

Planar's SD2620W produces amazing wide-screen WUXGA (1920 x 1200) 3D images and delivers comfortable, full resolution to both eyes for stunning stereo imaging.

the science that makes this work is also at work in many cinemas today.. in my case when I watched Avatar in a 3D IMAX theatre.. the glasses they gave me to watch the movie weren't anaglyph (red and blue) but polarized. The 3D effect was slight but noticeable, but supposedly there are 'sweet spots' in an IMAX theatre and I was sitting off to the side and up high, so.. not the best experience.

i won't bore you all with the nitty gritty technical bits, you can find them all here, with helpful diagrams:
http://en.souvr.com/product/201001/5650.html

*if you have a mattress full of cash, perhaps you'd also be interested in the Planar UltraRes 3D 4K LCD Display. Yes folks, it's an ƒƒ84" screen at Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) resolution... that displays 3D. I would probably have to change my pants after watching certain 3D movies.... or maybe just wear some adult diapers.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:46 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Yes, this is old news but nobody talks about 3D anymore.

Back in the day, people would even DIY their own planar rigs for use with the now-defunct iz3D driver (R.I.P).

No way it's worth that kind of money, and the current crop of active or passive 3D monitors are more than fine for the price.

Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

cybereality wrote:
Yes, this is old news but nobody talks about 3D anymore.

Back in the day, people would even DIY their own planar rigs for use with the now-defunct iz3D driver (R.I.P).

No way it's worth that kind of money, and the current crop of active or passive 3D monitors are more than fine for the price.

I'll get up to speed on all this stuff soon enough, lol.. still new to it all. Actually the 3D monitors themselves don't really interest me too much (beyond the 'how it works' level, anyhow), I figure all the interesting stuff is going to be happening with HMD's over the next 5 years or so.

Mon May 05, 2014 10:53 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Quote:
I'll get up to speed on all this stuff soon enough, lol.. still new to it all. Actually the 3D monitors themselves don't really interest me too much (beyond the 'how it works' level, anyhow), I figure all the interesting stuff is going to be happening with HMD's over the next 5 years or so.

I wouldn't say ALL the interesting stuff. :lol:

Regards,
Neil

Mon May 05, 2014 11:29 pm
   [ 4 posts ]