It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 A new 3D photo/video camera? 
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello,

I work in a company that makes various industrial electronics, including some cameras. We've thought that it might be interesting to produce a 3D consumer camera, especially because there don't seem to be many models currently on the market. I'd like to hear/read what you'd think about something like that. Do you expect it would be interesting only to 3D enthusiasts? Or, with some marketing, could we make it interesting to more people?

Regarding hardware, we are thinking something like Panasonic or Fujifilm cameras, with some improvements: about 8..16 megapixel sensor (x2); about 1920x1080 60p video resolution, about 4Kx2K photo resolution; adjustable interocular distance (on a sliding rail probably), adjustable vergence; some kind of expansion port. USB port for external storage, firmware upgrade and media transfer. To keep cost down, probably with a 2D LCD screen only (with anaglyph or wiggle 3d modes); probably micro-DVI or DisplayPort as video output (if any). To keep complexity and power usage down, recorded media will probably need some minor adjustments afterwards to correct for optical distortions. Please comment if any of the above is not needed, or not good enough, or something critical is missing, ...

At the moment, there is no website, timeline, or anything, just a lonely engineer doing market research and assembling preliminary specification. :|

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:13 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Great idea!

What i miss now:
manual white balance, right eye often not in focus, bigger base (adjustable would be cool!), high bitrate (28mbit total is not enough for waterfalls, etc)

What would be the estimated release date? :)

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:32 am
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

relaxman wrote:
manual white balance, right eye often not in focus, bigger base (adjustable would be cool!), high bitrate (28mbit total is not enough for waterfalls, etc)

What would be the estimated release date? :)

White balance, calibrated auto and manual focus, adjustable base: we've already planned to do all that. High bitrate: I'll have to see what we can do about it, the chipset we thought to use supports about 30 mbit/s, but I agree there are scenes where that might not suffice.

There is no concrete release date known yet, and it also depends whether we'll manage to secure the financing, etc... I'll post new information when/if I'll know it.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]