3D help needed - upgrading from GTX 970 to GTX 2060

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

3D help needed - upgrading from GTX 970 to GTX 2060

Post by makarastar »

Hi, all 3D gamers

(if anyone from "Helixmod" blog or the Nvidia forums is reading - I am Makara / Makarastar / Sateesh :-) )

I have an Asus VG236H 3D monitor, and the original Nvidia 3D glasses and emitter (not version 2).

I currently have a Nvidia Asus Strix Factory OC GTX 970 - which has a DVI port - so no issues there.

However I want to upgrade to the Asus ROG Strix 2060 OC - which has NO DVI port -

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/ ... 6G-GAMING/

As my monitor only has HDMI and DVI - I have read that a HDMI to HDMI connection will not give me the full 120 Hz for 3D (nor for 2D?)

So I am guessing the only solution is to buy a RTX 2060 WITH a DVI port -

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX2060-6G/

- or if I want the ROG Strix card (which has no DVI port) - to buy a rather expensive "Dual link" Display Port to DVI "ACTIVE" adapter for over £100 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-D ... B00A493CNY

Am I correct in all the above? People have said "Passive" HDMI to DVI / Display Port to DVI adapters will only give 60 HZ - not 120 HZ...

Many thanks

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D help needed - upgrading from GTX 970 to GTX 2060

Post by makarastar »

Weird - I found an Asus OC RTX 2070 8GB for around the same price as the 2060 Super - are they around the same performance...?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Graphics- ... 817&sr=8-3

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

It's possible the 3060 might have a DVI port and I was thinking of trying to stick with DVI for as long as possible (because my embedded emitter Asus monitor doesn't have Display Port) but I gave in and moved to a 3D capable monitor with Display Port (and separate emitter)

If you're happy limiting your purchase options to cards with DVI then you could go that route, but personally I think switching to a 3D capable monitor with Display Port, while they're still making them, is the better option.

If you can get some more life out of your current monitor, and it's not limiting your choice of graphics cards (i.e. you're happy buying a 2060 rather than a 2070, or potentially a reduced price 2080 once the 3000 series launches (soon)) then it might be worth doing for the short term, but in the long term, having to stick with DVI is going to restrict your purchase options.

The RTX 3000 series is due to launch probably as soon as sometime this month (August) with the RTX 3070 launching probably sometime around the 2nd quarter of next year. The RTX 3060 may also have a DVI port but it might not (it's a safe bet that DVI is on its way out).

Bottom line is, don't miss out on picking up a 3D capable monitor with Display Port because you're stretching out the longevity of your legacy equipment.
Last edited by P.C.Zen on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

makarastar wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 am
Weird - I found an Asus OC RTX 2070 8GB for around the same price as the 2060 Super - are they around the same performance...?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Graphics- ... 817&sr=8-3
Here are some benchmarks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJcEO8Ys4M

RTX 2070 is probably the better choice, especially if it's a custom card with a factory overclock.

Rule of thumb for picking a card for 3D Vision: the faster the video card the better because you want a card that can run the games you want to play at 120fps or over, in 1080p; that gets you 60fps per eye for 3D.

Edit:

To answer your question from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25148

Apart from your intended video card, compatibility-wise the hardware's fine; the biggest problem you'll have is the problem we all have at this point: compatibility with Windows 10 and Nvidia's newer drivers.

Also, I recommend buying a second SSD for a separate install for 3D Vision, so that you can keep one drive updated and the other in a 'frozen' state to help avoid compatibility issues (with 3D Vision).

Also, it might be worth making your main (not 3D vision) drive easily detachable to avoid potential security issues. i.e. if you're keeping one drive 'frozen' and not updating it, it might be a security 'breach' or 'hole' through which a hacker can potentially breach your main drive. Personally I have a dedicated gaming rig for 3D Vision that doesn't hold sensitive data.

So, yeah: you might want to reconsider sticking with your current monitor, unless cash is a concern. Having said that, what you might be able to save on a lower end graphics card you could put into getting better core components (CPU, RAM etc.) and upgrade your monitor further on, if the 3060 doesn't have DVI.

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

Thanks a ton for your detailed responses.

In the end I went with this -

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/ ... 8G-EVO-V2/

It was less than £10 more expensive than the cheapest priced Asus 2060 Super Dual Evo

- and they've reduced the length and height slightly in this "V2" version - my Asus Strix GTX 970 is 28 cms, and JUST about fits...touching the HDD cage...so this V2 being 24.2 cms is perfect.

I won't get the fancy RGB lights of the ROG Strix equivalent (this Dual Evo just has a small rainbow RGB strip) - but that's a small sacrifice to avoid having to shell out for a new 3D monitor.

So I went the most economic route - coupled with getting the best deal on an Asus OC 2070.

Re. waiting for the 3000 series to come out - I was going to do that, but the way card prices are these days I am not totally confident the RTX 2000s will come down significantly in price (I might be wrong).

Could you let me know what 3D monitor you now have?

Also any opinions on the card I bought? I'm a bit sad it's not a (similarly priced with no DVI port) ROG Strix - but is it ok for a 2070? It is 8 GB with Factory OC...

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

I moved to a BenQ XL2720Z but I don't recommend the 27 inch panels from that generation of monitors, including the Asus 27 inch panels (which I think must have come from the same original manufacturer) because they have a weird kind of blotching, like you'd see growing in a petri dish, that's visible during some lighting effects (like looking into a sunrise in Witcher 3 for example, or when using Dark Vision in Dishonored). It seem there might be bacteria growing between the layers in the monitor or it might be something wrong with the adhesive they used in manufacturing, similar to the problems you get with some kinds of laser discs and CDs.

I wasn't really that impressed with the build quality of the recent generation of 3D monitors but the Acer Predator at least has G-sync.

As for that card, I think it was a good find. With only two fans it'll be louder than a longer card under full load, but it sounds like it suits your setup and its got DVI.

I'd say look into whether your HDD trays are removable, to accommodate larger cards for future builds. If not, it might be worth putting a new case on the list of things for future upgrade.

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

Thanks for the honesty re. monitors.

G-sync is new to me, but having just googled it I see it's for better GPU sync. So I'll bear that factor in mind when I buy a new 3D monitor.

I also googled the Acer Predator 3D version (after your comment), and notice that like my Asus VG236 it looks "thicker" than normal monitors - so it seems 3D-ready monitors are still bulkier than normal monitors (correct me if wrong).

Will current-gen 3D-Vision monitors be ok with my original version Nvidia 3D glasses + Emitter? From what I understand the Version 2 of the glasses had "Light Boost", so am envious I don't have those - but am I right in assuming Version 1 is ok for a new 3D monitor?

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

P.S. -

General question - does Nvidia 3D NOT work with curved monitors, such as -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-XG32VQR-C ... B07QHV16Q5

- or do curved 3D-vision monitors exist?

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

P.C.Zen wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:43 am
I'd say look into whether your HDD trays are removable, to accommodate larger cards for future builds
I was going to try that for the ROG Strix versions of the 2070 / 2060 - but then as those don't have DVI ports, I skipped trying it.

However if / when I move to a Display Port monitor (and therefore won't be constrained on my NEXT Graphics card variant) I will re-visit this.

There is one great video on Youtube showing how to wiggle a longer card into a mid-size case -

https://youtu.be/BcjRipBJNb0

The other helpful thing is this - when I looked at the dimensions of the Triple-fan ROG Strix cards versus the Dual-fan Evos (or any type of Dual fan GPU) - I noticed the HEIGHT of the Triple-fan GPUs is shorter...even if the length is longer.

The reason my Asus Strix GTX 970 at 28 cms length just about fits my case is not only due to its length - but also its tall height (5.5 inches) stops it going beyond the HDD cage - versus the ROG Strix 2070 and 2060 being only about 5.1 or 5.2 inches in height.

In conclusion it seems triple-fan cards are longer - but not as tall as dual fan ones.

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

G-sync unfortunately isn't compatible with 3D technology, so bear that in mind. It's just something to have for if/when you play in 2D.

I'm not sure about the thickness of the monitors. It might be that they have a larger back light. G-sync I think requires some extra tech in the backs of the monitors but I couldn't tell you why they're larger. I think they're just packing in more circuitry.

Light Boost technology I'm pretty sure is in the monitor itself and not something to do with the glasses. I have both types of glasses and the difference isn't really that big (edit: but my monitors have light boost, so that might make a difference). At least I don't really notice it unless switching quickly between the older to newer glasses. It's one of those things where you only notice the difference if you have it side-by side. I've found the difference to be minimal to the point of not really being that significant.

As for curved monitors, I couldn't tell you if curved 3D monitors actually exist. I don't think I've ever seen any. If you think about it it might actually give a distorting effect since a perceived curve might appear to hop from left to right at 60hz making a flickering blurring effect so I'd guess they probably don't exist.
Last edited by P.C.Zen on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

makarastar wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:16 am
In conclusion it seems triple-fan cards are longer - but not as tall as dual fan ones.
I think that's probably because they have to accommodate a larger heatsink. Also the fans could very well need fatter blades.
Last edited by P.C.Zen on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

Agreed - the Dual fans on my GTX 970 are huge

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

P.C.Zen wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:22 am
I've found the difference to be minimal to the point of not really being that significant.

As for curved monitors, I couldn't tell you if curved 3D monitors actually exist. I don't think I've ever seen any. If you think about it it might actually give a distorting effect since a perceived curve might appear to hop from left to right at 60hz making a flickering blurring effect so I'd guess they probably don't exist.
Great - I'm now feeling not so left out at only having Version 1 glasses - thanks :-)

Yes, that was what I was thinking about a curved effect on 3D . The only reason I was considering curved is that I don't have much room (width-wise) where my monitor sits...so a curved monitor (had one been 3D) would have worked better space wise than a straight one (to a small extent at least).

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

makarastar wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 am
Great - I'm now feeling not so left out at only having Version 1 glasses - thanks :-)

Yes, that was what I was thinking about a curved effect on 3D . The only reason I was considering curved is that I don't have much room (width-wise) where my monitor sits...so a curved monitor (had one been 3D) would have worked better space wise than a straight one (to a small extent at least).
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the Version 2 glasses unless, maybe you switch to a light-boost monitor? I think that's where they might make a difference...? ...but to be honest I couldn't tell you.

And yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a curved 3D monitor; I wouldn't have thought they existed but I could be wrong.

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

If that is the case - can light boost be switched on / off on those monitors?

Or is it always set to "on" ?

P.C.Zen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by P.C.Zen »

makarastar wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:14 pm
If that is the case - can light boost be switched on / off on those monitors?

Or is it always set to "on" ?
TBH I'm not sure. It's been so long since I configured mine I don't remember. I think light boost comes on when 3D is activated.

The light boost is to combat the dimming effect of the shutter glasses. I think it's possible that 3D Vision 2 glasses might have darker lenses requiring an even brighter screen but to be honest I've no idea if that's the case.

I couldn't really tell you what the difference is between the original 3D vision glasses and 3D Vision 2 apart from 3D Vision 2 glasses being larger and more easily worn with glasses.

I was late to the game with 3D Vision. I received my glasses and emitter from eBay the day Nvidia merge-dumped their 3D Vision forums into their off-topic forum.

I have 3D Vision and 3D Vision 2 glasses and I've used both with a light boost monitor and the difference isn't that substantial; it's barely anything. I only really notice it if I quickly switch from one pair to the other. Rule of thumb for me is that I use 3D Vision 2 for movies (short periods that require slightly better visuals) and 3D Vision 1 for gaming (long periods where the very slight difference isn't really a concern. I find 3D Vision 2 glasses slightly less comfortable over longer periods.).

...outside of a postage stamp sized area in the middle of a persons field of vision we're all basically legally blind, so the extra field of view isn't really that big a deal.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Running searches for the potential difference, I don't think people are really sure. Some think it just comes down to a larger field of view and more comfort, although the comfort aspect is debatable as the 3D Vision 2 glasses are heavier.
Last edited by P.C.Zen on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makarastar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by makarastar »

Thanks very much - now that you've told me the V2 glasses are larger and heavier, I am glad I have V1s - because after 26 years of wearing glasses, I had LASIK surgery last year - and now Nvidia V1 glasses no longer leave a painful "nose mark" over the upper sides of my nose - which they ALWAYS did when I was wearing my own glasses under them (no matter which plastic nose piece size I used for them).

So looks like I dodged a bullet, as heavier glasses (including proper spectacles) always cause my nose discomfort.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”