It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 MTBS' Coraline Movie Review 
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Have you seen it? What did you think of the 3D? Is there a secret door in your house? Do you want one?

Regards,
Neil

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Two Eyed Hopeful

haven't seen it yet ,spose that's because its not out yet (8th of may here in the U.K ) but will be looking into it , need a trip out to the cinema its been a wile since ive been , not to sure if i would like a secret door at the end of my hall way, would be a bit scary wouldn't know what was going to come out of it.

a little trailer for all: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi513934105/

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:01 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

That picture on the homepage is SCARY!!!

There was a secret door in my house and my foot still hurts from going inside.

I plan to see the movie sometime this week, looks cool.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:09 pm
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

I've been looking forward to this movie and now my appetite is truly whetted, nice review Pam, especially no spoilers.

Having recently seen My Bloody Valentine 3D I'm looking forward to seeing another genre of filmmaking, stop animation, and how this fares in comparison to the fast action pace of the real life My Bloody Valentine 3D and its issues with 3D and fast panning. I must say this issue didn't distract too much from My Bloody Valentine3D film experience. Can't see it being an issue with this type of film, hence the reason and I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers again.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:41 pm
Certif-Eyed!

SPOILERS may FOLLOW

I would agree with most of the reviewers comments 3d was good in some parts, flat in others. Stop motion animation was very good and the story came together very well.

"Some scenes are not appropriate for small children." You can say that AGAIN! When I went to see it there were many young children and my friends and I couldn't help but to be astonished such a dark and creepy movie was going to fill the minds of these younguns. We all agreed the concepts presented in the movie from murder to plucked eye balls were very ugly for the many young kids that came to the movie. I also was very dissapointed a movie tailored to young viewers showed the betrayal of her cat friend near the end, this is not a movie I would want my young kids to see and would recommend all parents screen this film before allowing thier young kids to watch this very dark film - this is no nightmare before christmas. Although only one of the kids cried and had to be taken outside of the theater I can't help but think the dark imagery will cause nightmares for several of the children, it sure scared the bejezzus out of me - I haven't slept for 3 days. I had to watch Mr. Bean for several hours of counter therapy.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

I saw it yesterday in Real3D. I never realized that by switching to circular polarization it became insensitive to your head plane, so you don't have to maintain perfect posture to avoid ghosting. Nice, albeit minor tweak. I'm sure RealD is raking it in.

There was very minor usage of 3d effects in front of the screen which probably serves to reduce eye strain. Amazingly, you can watch much of the movie without the glasses on and barely notice much of a difference. Some things are slightly soft, but with the glasses on you can definately feel the depth of things. I was a bit confused at first as to how they had a 3d image on and almost no ghosting without the glasses on. Your eyes are incredibly sensitive and it doesn't take much. Also, the main subject is almost always at the screen-plane with background in depth.

I suspect with behind-the-screen 3d the effect is more pronounced the closer you sit. I wouldn't sit in the back.

As for the story my gf thought it was just weird and didn't know how anyone could think of such random stuff. I enjoyed the dimentia and unique qualities of it. It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland actually. The tunnel and the cat mirrored that. Visually it was fantastic. It was pretty dark, but I didn't have any problem sleeping. :) It was nowhere near as dark as Pan's Labrynth. I had to admit, I was suprised by the outfit on the large woman! Coriline: "Oh my god." I think I said the same thing the same time she did.

Is this pitched to kids?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]