It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:25 am

[ 4 posts ] 
 AMD/ATI: Stereo 3D is here to stay 
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... iew_4.html

Quote:
Stereo 3D Here to Stay

X-bit labs: What do you think about the new comeback stereo 3D? Will it stay, or will it go, just like it did in the past?

Neal Robison: I like the stereoscopic 3D (S3D) experience as it adds further realism to games. I also feel graphics technology is now powerful enough to drive an incredible S3D experience. The big question is whether it will have mass market appeal while glasses remain a requirement. Will people balk at the $100 + price of active shutter glasses, currently the preferred route to deliver the S3D experience, or even more if they have to buy multiple sets of glasses for family and friends? I believe S3D is here to stay, and will grow in the coming years, but how much growth depends to a large extent on the experience, and for some the need for glasses will be an impediment to adoption.

X-bit labs: Maybe, when there are available BDA-certified 3D glasses and displays/TVs, you are going to release your own stereo 3D software package (akin to Nvidia 3DTV Play, 3D Vision) that tailors games for stereoscopic output?

Neal Robison: 3DTV Play was a step in the right direction for Nvidia as it removed the restrictive requirements that threatened to lock out owners of a 3D Vision kit from enjoying S3D on anything but 3D Vision-Ready displays. Can you image buying one of the new stereoscopic 3D televisions, setting up your 3D Vision computer and then finding that it didn’t work because the television manufacturer hadn’t paid to be part of the 3D Vision-Ready program? It’s exactly scenarios like that driving our Open Stereo 3D Initiative. We want everyone that invests in an S3D experience to get exactly that, a great S3D experience. We intend to remove the potential headaches of hardware incompatibility.

X-bit labs: Will you support implementation of stereo 3D into forthcoming video game as a part of your Open Stereo 3D initiative?

Neal Robison: Absolutely. In fact, we have already developed the quad-buffer capability required to support stereoscopic 3D games, so 3rd party middleware vendors can output stereo L/R images at 120 Hz (60 Hz per eye). At GDC this past March we announced our Open Stereo 3D Initiative and our intent to work with ecosystem partners, encourage cooperation and standards development with industry-wide participation to ultimately provide customers with more choice in interoperable hardware and software.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:49 am
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

I don't know. Sounds like more marketing BS. Where is the support?

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:21 pm
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

cybereality wrote:
Where is the support?
Yeah. Three months after AMD announces Open Stereo 3D "initiative", iZ3D is making excuses that the quad-buffered driver is still unavailabe (although AMD/ATI claims it's in Catalyst 10.3 already), DDD/Tridef is silent, and there are no signs of 3rd party LC shutter glasses being available, except as bundled with stereo 3D all-in-one PCs.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=21754#21754

Sigurd wrote:
right now we can't do anything but wait for ATI to finally release that version of the driver that we were testing with our output. All I know for sure - it works in our lab fine, and that it will work with new drivers as soon as they will be released.
BlackQ wrote:
we are trying to get information from AMD / ATI about final AQBS release - I apologize for our mistake with early announcement, but we had exactly same PR misunderstanding from AMD's quotes.
Update:
BlackQ wrote:
QB Support is in Catalyst already, but it is working on professional cards only right now which have special mechanism to turn it on. I'll keep you informed about progress with general public release date. We agreed about certain steps to make situation better.

So the released version of the Quad Buffer Catalyst driver doesn't really work on Radeon HD series cards despite all the fanfare from ATI/AMD's PR department, though it does work on professional FirePro cards... can it get any more confusing? :lol:

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:37 am
   [ 4 posts ]