Watch 3-D Movies in 2-D With an Extra Pair of Glasses

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Watch 3-D Movies in 2-D With an Extra Pair of Glasses

Post by Silversurfer »

Photo by West McGowan.

Derilium shows us how to relieve eye pain from 3-D movies:

3-D is becoming more and more popular, and after a long time, I usually get kind of dizzy. So what I do when I go to the theaters is I use the regular 3-D glasses, and then also carry around my own pair of "2-D glasses"

To make my 2-D glasses, I just basically got 2 pairs of 3-D glasses, and switched the left lens on one with the right lens on the other. Then, I end up with 2 pairs of 2-D glasses.

If you're curious for how this works is that the lens on the left filters out the left picture. The lens on the right filters out the right picture. So when I put both of the left lenses together, I end up with just seeing the left picture. On my other pair of 2D glasses, I end up seeing just the right picture.

This allows me to watch a 3D movie in 2D when I get dizzy from too much 3D. So far, wearing these 2D glasses haven't been giving me headaches.

http://lifehacker.com/5567416/from-the- ... -the-milk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Watch 3-D Movies in 2-D With an Extra Pair of Glasses

Post by Silversurfer »

For those who their significant other may be immune to the 3-D love but still wants to see the film. :-)
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you did that you would be seeing nothing. It doesn't make sense.

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:If you did that you would be seeing nothing. It doesn't make sense.
I think what he's done is take the left lens out of one pair of glasses, and the right out of the other. Then you swap them over so you have one pair of glasses with two left eye lenses and another with two right eye lenses.
It should work, but I prefer to just watch in 3D. Could be good for going to the movies with people who get motion sick really easily.

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ah ok, that makes sense. Still seems like an awful lot of trouble to get a worse experience.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

while they are at it they could also have monochrome filters so it's in black and white for those of us who get tired from this whole "vibrant color" deal
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup

Post by Likay »

Real-d glasses are circular polarized. If you pop out the right lense from one pair of glasses and shift to the other pair left lense you'll have to turn them as well to fit the glasses... o.O
This means that wrong side of the filter will face the screen and both eyeviews will leak through (circular polarizers only works properly in one direction). He should mention that this mod involves cutting of the lenses if they aren't horisontally symmetrical.
If the glasses hypothetically were linear polarized at 45° there would be no change in polarization if you pop out the lens and turn it to match the holder. The right eye and left eye filters are cut from the same sheets at the same shape. They get their fixed orientation when mounted into the glasses.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”