Borderlands 2 W10 see post 10 and 12

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Borderlands 2 W10 see post 10 and 12

Post by 3DNovice »

Is Borderlands 2 broken on Windows 10?

According to the fix page, the profile needs assigned to Alice Madness returns, I did that. It's still dx9 32 bit.
I tried re-installing the driver 425.31, as well as all game files after deleting all traces.

I can get the game playable, by setting shadows setting to false in the Engine.ini but there are still other issues.
I tried W8 and 7 compatibility as well as disabling Fullscreen Optimizations.

The helix dll is loading AFAIK, I can drop in the debug dll and see red text, so nothing is stopping it from loading.

I also tried starting with administrative privileges.
Last edited by 3DNovice on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:00 am, edited 6 times in total.

Lysander
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Borderlands 2 W10

Post by Lysander »

yes, it was broken for me, too
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2060, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

I think this fix is an early Unreal 3 fix, prior to Helix writing his Lua scripts
The fix itself only shows a few VS shaders as being fixed and kind of looks incomplete, but then again, some of these old dx9 games only need minor fixes.
Download Borderlands (original) and Borderlands 2 and compare

I tried wrapping my head around fixing an Unreal 3 game using his Lua Script, but it was above my head.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... a-scripts/

There were 9 or more versions of the Lua Scripts for Unreal 3 dx9
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dhr/LUA_OPTIONS.zip

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

I completely forgot that Helix had also made an injector version.

Guess what...It works!!

Download the DLL pack here https://s3.amazonaws.com/-HeliX-/DLLS/DllsModPack1.zip

Unzip it, find DllsInjection, grab the helixmod.dll and HeliXmodLauncher.exe and drop them into the game folder where the fix is,
you will not need the DX9Settings.ini from this folder use the one from the fix.

Delete the existing d3d9.dll that was from the fix, now open the DX9Settings.ini, you'll see //DefModuleName = acm.exe, delete that entire line and
replace it with DefModuleName = Borderlands2.exe

Now click HeliXmodLauncher.exe and leave it running in the background

Now, you just have to remember to use HeliXmodLauncher.exe each time and you will "NEED TO" click the game exe in the game folder each time.
Unless someone can make a bat file to do this.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The odd thing, is if I launch HeliXmodLauncher.exe and then use the Steam Library "Play" button or a Desktop shortcut for Borderlands2.exe it does not work!
So I "MUST" click on the actual Borderlands2.exe and then it's working. Well at least in the title screen, I haven't tested the full game or alt-tabbing.

So the best thing to do is make a shortcut to the Win 32 folder found in the Borderlands 2 game files and place it on the desktop to quickly access the game exe.

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

Being that an injector is used, if you want to use Texmod, ENB or Reshade with drop in dx9 Dlls, you probably can.

But I've no idea about using the injector version of Reshade or Special K with the injector from helix.

Also, I've no idea if the Helix injector works with all fixes in dx9 games (keep in mind dx11 fixes use 3DMigoto)

So, if you need to proxy a DLL in some other game, there's a guide on the blog
https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2012/08/g ... fixes.html

eqzitara has
ProxyLib = F:\steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32\smaa.dll
added in the settings, he included a DLL in the shaderoverride folder, but it's a Helix debug DLL

I just deleted his ProxyLib, so it's not looking for something that is not there
Last edited by 3DNovice on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lysander
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Borderlands 2 W10 solution

Post by Lysander »

Oh, cool, I will try that later today
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2060, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Borderlands 2 W10 borked

Post by 3DNovice »

Hmm, so yesterday and this morning, the game was working using the above solution.
But the game crashed during a transition between areas and hasn't worked since, no matter what I do.
I think that it's the cross platform patch and associated VAC back in 2020 that borked the fix.

Launching Steam in Offline Mode or even unplugging the ethernet cable does not help.

At this point, I think it's better to pirate this POS, so the co-op crap isn't borking the fix.

Lysander
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Lysander »

Didnt work for me with Epic version. If I launched Borderlands2.exe, the game crashed with some message about Epic having to run. I launched it from Epic but the shadows were broken.

DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by DJ-RK »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 am I completely forgot that Helix had also made an injector version.

Guess what...It works!!
Ok, so when you say "it works" do you mean you specifically tried with Borderlands 2 and got it working? Because the last time I tried...
Lysander wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 am Didnt work for me with Epic version... shadows were broken.
... was my end result as well. (Steam version, though)

I was aware that Helix had the Lua scripting engine for Dx9 fixes, but I wasn't aware it worked here. I'm pretty sure I tried, though, because I tried a few different approaches to get BL2 working again, but couldn't get anything working again. My recollection and/or assumption was that the fix was pretty barebones because BL2 was one of the few games where the built in Nvidia stereo support in the UE3 engine fully worked (by turning on the AllowNvidiaStereo3D=True flag, or something like that, in one of the .ini files, and somehow I believe that functionality got broken during the Battle for Sanctuary DLC update.

Anyways, would be curious to confirm if "it works" refers to the BL2 fix, or if you were just generally referring to the injector version of the tool?
My Killer 3D Gaming System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: GTX 2080 TI | Mobo: MSI x570 MAG Tomahawk | RAM: 4x8GB GSkill Triden Neo 3600Mhz | Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 280mm | Storage: OS on WB Black NVME M.2, various other SSDs & HDDs | Displays: Asus ROG Swift PG278QR, Optoma UHD50 | VR HMD: Oculus Quest 2 | Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity | Driving wheel: Logitech G27 | Flight sticks: TM Warthog / T16000M | Throttle: TM TWCS | Pedals: TM TFRP | Chair: DX Racer
Performance results here

My Paypal or send to rshannonca@gmail.com <-- For those that would like to show extra appreciation and support for my fixes

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

DJ-RK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:06 pm Anyways, would be curious to confirm if "it works" refers to the BL2 fix, or if you were just generally referring to the injector version of the tool?
When I posted that, the fix was working with the injector being used. It worked again this morning, but then after a crash, I couldn't get it working again.
There is a possibility that I had some shadows turned off in the Engine.ini, but I'm almost certain that I deleted it and then varified games files and relaunched
the game to create a fresh one.

I've tried to replicate my injector success with no luck and was getting pretty irked. But, I have (at least for today, who knows if tomorrow will be the same)
stumbled upon a way that I can replicate repeatedly.

So go into the WillowEngine.ini
Found in C:\Users\yournamehere\Documents\my games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config
Set all of these shadows to False, some are probably already False, like the 2 shown
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
AllowImageReflectionShadowing=False
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True
bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=False
bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=True

Also set AllowNvidiaStereo3d=True

Now start the game, your character is standing on some rocks with a bridge over your right shoulder. Look at the girders, they are messed up, this will be your indicator.
My resolution is 2560x1440, if I select the next resolution down, it's 1920x1440. It might or might not be important that it is not a 16:9 resolution. Leave it at this resolution for 30 seconds or so.
Now switch back to your normal resolution and check that the girders look proper. If not, switch the resolution back and forth again.
It's worked the first time, each time, except once, I had to do it 3 times because my character was 2D and the menus were 3D.

Note: I'm am playing Solo and have Offline mode selected. You can select Offline by hitting the "N" key
Also note that there will still be some shadows and reflections in the game and they will look correct.
Without turning the shadows off, I could not get the game playable again. But it's close to an excellent rating, minus the fact that some shadows are disabled.
Anyways, I hope this helps someone enjoy it until a real solution might come about.

EDIT:::: I only was testing in town, out in combat, I can now see that PhysX effects are not being stereoized properly, such as corrosion pooling. This is using BL2, Alice and 3D Hub profiles. eqzitara recommended Alice profile or these effects hover above the ground.
I'm not sure of the different stereo texture enable properties, but perhaps there is a setting for stereo texture enable that might fix this effect? Damn, it was perfect yesterday and this morning. Maybe I'll try again with the injector vs the d3d9.dll

EDIT 2::: So I thought about this. Batman Arkham City uses PhysX to the max and is 3D ready, so I tried the profile from it and it works for the corrosion pooling, woo hoo
lol, I hope this is my last edit
BTW, this is with the blog fix/dll installed
Last edited by 3DNovice on Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

SpecialK supposedly supports loading 3rd party mods/custom plugins, perhaps it could be used
https://wiki.special-k.info/en/SpecialK/Tools

mercier1200
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Borderlands 2 W10 see post 10

Post by mercier1200 »

Hi,
I did see your post and remembered that I got it working last year using the original fix.

I used the good old technique of “download an older steam version”. Gearbox have indeed broke the fix a while back and getting and older version works perfectly.

You simply have to find the right manifest using steamDB an then download it via DepotDownloader and finally copy it in your game directory.

However, no possibility to play online with this solution.

Hope it can help someone

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

Thanks for posting

How do you keep it from updating? Steam wants to run updates every time you launch a game.

This workaround works, but there are issues. I'm seeing more as I progress out in the wild, in town it was looking good

mercier1200
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mercier1200 »

Yes, I personally don’t understand the behaviour of steam auto-update.

Sometimes you have to play in offline mode, but sometimes auto-update will never bother you (i presently play Hollow Night that way without issue).

From my memory, BL2 also never ask me anything.

3DNovice
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3DNovice »

Thanks again for posting.

Here's a link to a guide that gives step by step instructions to roll back the game version.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2353930763

I'm already halfway through, so I'll just play with the solution I posted, it's good enough and I'm afraid
that my game save might not work with a previous version.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”