Winter and ghosting

skyrimer
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Winter and ghosting

Post by skyrimer »

So this winter I discovered that cold weather is a big enemy of my PG278QR. Where in summer I get nearly zero ghosting, now in winter I get heavy ghosting in many games, and after some research it was mentioned int the old nvidia forums that this monitor needs to get heated for the ghosting to go away, and indeed after some play time it slowly starts to dissapear. Still, since it's really cold nowadays in Spain, it takes a really long time for the ghosting to go away, even close to an hour or so.

I was wondering if this issue is well known or something specific to this monitor, or even more it's my specific monitor having this issue to such a extreme. Also I would like to know if there're any tips to improve this. I even left the nvidia 3d demo on for quite some time, but it didn't make it go away completely. Any ideas?
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers

Visit http://www.gamermovil.com for a ton of mobile news and more!

russellk
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Re: Winter and ghosting

Post by russellk »

It's the same for all LCD panels. They all switch slower when cold. Even my old LCD 3d TV mentioned in the manual that it needs to be left on for a while for optimal performance.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH), 9700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, BenQ XL2420T 3d surround, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector (3dtvplay), WMR Odyssey+, WIn 19 1809 (425.31), Win 7 Pro x64

Feisty_Fernando
Cross Eyed!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

The liquid in the crystal would be more viscous in colder temps, might be resulting in that slower switch. I didn't think the liquid moved.

skyrimer
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by skyrimer »

Glad to hear that's normal. Lately I play mostly Divinity OS2 and other isometric games, the lack of skies and high contrast scenes makes it more tolerable, 3rd person games like AC3 Remastered or DQIX have terrible ghosting right now.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
SSD M.2 2280 500GB

russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

skyrimer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:16 am Glad to hear that's normal. Lately I play mostly Divinity OS2 and other isometric games, the lack of skies and high contrast scenes makes it more tolerable, 3rd person games like AC3 Remastered or DQIX have terrible ghosting right now.
I don't think it's very widely known, not that it's ever been hidden. There might have been improvements but afaik it's still an issue and has been for ever.
I remember old calculators were the same and you could see it on the dashboard on some cars when it was freezing cold.

Another interesting thing about it, is how many times over the years have people installed a new graphics card or updated drivers etc. then said it caused more ghosting? I know it's a fact that USB issues etc. can cause ghosting too, but I would bet money that sometimes it's just because the monitor is colder. I've fallen foul of that myself in the past!
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH), 9700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, BenQ XL2420T 3d surround, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector (3dtvplay), WMR Odyssey+, WIn 19 1809 (425.31), Win 7 Pro x64

TimFx7
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TimFx7 »

skyrimer wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:25 am So this winter I discovered that cold weather is a big enemy of my PG278QR. Where in summer I get nearly zero ghosting, now in winter I get heavy ghosting in many games, and after some research it was mentioned int the old nvidia forums that this monitor needs to get heated for the ghosting to go away, and indeed after some play time it slowly starts to dissapear. Still, since it's really cold nowadays in Spain, it takes a really long time for the ghosting to go away, even close to an hour or so.

I was wondering if this issue is well known or something specific to this monitor, or even more it's my specific monitor having this issue to such a extreme. Also I would like to know if there're any tips to improve this. I even left the nvidia 3d demo on for quite some time, but it didn't make it go away completely. Any ideas?
Hi , I encountered this problem a lot in the first years when I started using 3d vision with PG278Q. I am happy with this solution that I have developed for the last two years. 8-)

I use the following settings and methods to get the maximum benefit from my monitor. First of all, let me state this. The methods I will share here are purely personal experience. these settings make me happy. I hope you benefit from it too. It is at your discretion whether to apply it or not, and I will not be liable for any problems or hardware malfunctions caused by these settings. :!:

Over the years I have noticed that the higher the brightness, the quicker the monitor warms up. With these settings I shared, the ghosting disappears faster during the winter months (about 10-12 minutes) ;)
-----------------------------------------------------
monitor.7z
-----------------------------------------------------
+ in windows 10 color management (colorcpl.exe), I am using the profile file I sent in the attachment.
+ From the Nvidia panel, I haven't made any changes for the colors.
+ Monitör
  • Lightboost: MAX
    Brightness: 100
    Contras : 50
    R: 80
    G: 80
    B: 80

I created Hotkeys to easily change the Asus PG278Q display settings instantly. Run hotkey.exe with admin privileges , install "C:\monitor\"
It should be used when there is a 3D image on the screen :
  • Windows+Backspace ..........: 3D-MaxBrightness (I use this if I'm playing a game with lots of action. It just does very little gosting in high contrast scenes.)
    Windows+Shıft+Backspace ...: 3D-Normal (In about 10-12 minutes the LCD will warm up and ghosting will disappear.)
    Windows+Ctrl+Backspace.....: 3D-Cold-LCD (Not for playing games. I use it to quickly browse 3D videos or pictures when the LCD is cold. ghosting is less annoying..)

It should be used when there is a 2D image on the screen. ( I use different brightness settings for Day / Night and 2D games. )
  • Windows+F9 .....: Dark
    Windows+F10....: Night
    Windows+F11....: Normal
    Windows+F12 ...: Game
Extra :
In some games, the image can be too dark for 3D, depending on the color palette used in the settings I shared. In this case, I increase the contrast value a little compared to the game. If I am satisfied, I take note of this value. I always play with this contrast value when starting that game. If the contrast setting that I have specified causes "color clipping" in some places, but "color clipping" does not occur in 90% of the game, I accept this to play brighter

Example :
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 6....Contras: 62
    RESIDENT EVIL 3.....Contras: 68
    CONTROL ............ Contras: 54
I use this software for hotkey. The source code of Hotkey.exe is open in the folder "hotkeySource.ahk" if you want, you can rearrange and compile it yourself. The software required for this. https://www.autohotkey.com/

If the profiles I shared are ineffective, you can create and save your own profiles with ControlMyMonitor.exe. You can learn how to use it from this page.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/control_my_monitor.html

russellk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:09 am Another interesting thing about it, is how many times over the years have people installed a new graphics card or updated drivers etc. then said it caused more ghosting? I know it's a fact that USB issues etc. can cause ghosting too, but I would bet money that sometimes it's just because the monitor is colder. I've fallen foul of that myself in the past!
In rare cases, hardware errors occur on the monitor during graphics card updates. When displaying a 3D image, ghosting occurs at the bottom of the screen. they probably meant this problem. The solution is to unplug the monitor and then plug it back in after 5 seconds. years ago it drove me very crazy. I remember re-installing the driver over and over again, assuming the problem was with the driver software.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TimFx7 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) , i7 6700K 4.7GHz , DDR4 3000MHz 32GB, GTX 1660 Super , PG278Q , 3D Vision 2
My 3D Epic Screenshots I - II and Videos

masterotaku
Cross Eyed!

Post by masterotaku »

When not playing, I use ULMB with 25 pulse width (low brightness). So if I wasn't playing recently, even if the monitor was on for hours, I still need some ingame warm up time xD.
Note that if your colors are at 100, all contrast values above 50 will cause color clipping.

Also, with the PG278QR, in my experience, there is a very very low chance of the monitor not enabling overdrive when switching to Lightboost (this will show as ghosting, but not because of temperature). I solve that by changing the monitor input to HDMI and back to DisplayPort again.

Brightness is good enough for me most of the time. If I'm playing a very dark game, I just make the room dark if I need it.

skyrimer
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by skyrimer »

@TimFx7 this is very interesting, huge thanks for sharing this, I'll give it a look.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
SSD M.2 2280 500GB

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”