Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

draven
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus "Rift" : An open-source HMD for Kickstarter

Post by draven »

If the funding keeps going at this pace, this project will be funded before the end of the day... :shock:

rajveer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajveer »

>$50,000 already, I don't think that's going to be an issue :D

druidsbane
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by druidsbane »

BillRoeske wrote:Also, the FOV visualization in the video is extremely panoramic compared to what we've heard up to this point, which is a little weird.
That is weird. Also, if they were both 110 degrees it would have been square not rectangular. I guess we'll just have to wait for QuakeCon and Palmer's next updates :)
Ibex 3D VR Desktop for the Oculus Rift: http://hwahba.com/ibex - https://bitbucket.org/druidsbane/ibex

zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

I see Notch on the pledge list already. Don't know if I should wish for him to promote it or not.

BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

zino wrote:[...] The presentation is really light on real data though. [...]
Agreed, I was also slightly disappointed by that. Particularly since this is aimed at developers/makers, I was hoping for an assault of nailed-down specifications for the prototype/developer unit. Hopefully a project update will nail down details like:
  • display update rate
  • sensor update rate
  • weight
  • hard numbers for horizontal and vertical FOV
  • video interface
  • USB-powered?
That said, the concept for the housing looks remarkably nice (and comfortable)! If that's what we're getting for the developer unit, I'll be quite impressed.

Edit: There's now a brief run-down below the picture of the signed poster and T-shirt. Thanks, Palmer! :)
Last edited by BillRoeske on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Backed it. Good luck, Palmer!

Regards,
Neil

rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Just hit Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/ocul ... n-carmack/

Should make the funding goal by the end of the day.

I like the kickstarter page and video, though it is a little light on the technical details. Not sure if the housing shown will be what ships. Also, a "High Resolution Display" is mentioned...

The kickstarter strikes a good balance between being exciting for the consumer yet geared for the developer.

alexlf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexlf »

Congrats Palmer! In for the month early version! Seems like you might end up changing the commercial VR landscape forever :D

EDIT: Woot, 100k!
Last edited by alexlf on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Well over $80k now so i don't see it not making the $250k when its got another 30 days and quakecon to go :P

How are the international kits being shipped? Just hope its not surface mail so takes the arrival date to Jan/Feb :o
MalDuffin wrote:Just pledged myself.
If anyone figures out how to do it, let me know ( I don't want to pledge 300+275 ( + shipping ) in one go and just get one kit - I'm supporting the project, but I'm not that generous lol :) )
I'd like to know if there is a way to as well, if for some unforseen reason it's nearing 30 days and doesn't look like it will reach the $250k then i'd be inclined to get a 2nd unit to help it get there and also for a spare incase something break.

Hmm regarding breaking if we recieve the unit and something is broken and it doesn't work (or work properly) will it get replaced or will we need to puchase another unit(if able to purchase more)?

Okay it's over $96k now by the time I wrote that :P

Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

:woot 100 grand in two hours!!!

@Palmertech: We all hoped and expected the project to be successful, but did you ever think it would be THAT successful? Isn't it overwhelming considering such demand on the kits?

Anyway, congratulations and best of luck!
Last edited by Omarzuqo on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.

fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Holy Crap!! Already half way to the $250,000 goal!!!!! :woot :woot :woot
In the 5 minutes it took me to watch the video, the pledges went up by $30,000!

The new design looks amazing too!
Last edited by fireslayer26 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details

dmarcos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dmarcos »

@PalmerTech: Congratulations! Well presented! I'm also one of the pre kickstarter backers. Can we get an update? I'm not in a rush just wanted to check we're not forgotten :)

skydave
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skydave »

Endothermic wrote:
MalDuffin wrote:Just pledged myself.
If anyone figures out how to do it, let me know ( I don't want to pledge 300+275 ( + shipping ) in one go and just get one kit - I'm supporting the project, but I'm not that generous lol :) )
I'd like to know if there is a way to as well, if for some unforseen reason it's nearing 30 days and doesn't look like it will reach the $250k then i'd be inclined to get a 2nd unit to help it get there and also for a spare incase something break.
Maybe this could work by creating a second kickstarter account?

nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

I'll be surprised if the funding doesn't break a million by the end of the week.

mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mysticeti »

BillRoeske wrote:
Agreed, I was also slightly disappointed by that. Particularly since this is aimed at developers/makers, I was hoping for an assault of nailed-down specifications for the prototype/developer unit. Hopefully a project update will nail down details like:
  • display update rate
  • sensor update rate
  • weight
  • video interface
  • USB-powered?
That said, the concept for the housing looks remarkably nice (and comfortable)! If that's what we're getting for the developer unit, I'll be quite impressed.
There were a few details provided:
Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

skydave
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by skydave »

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
skydave wrote:
Vaughanabe13 wrote:
The kickstarter has only been live for a few minutes and it already has 50 backers for a total of $15,535.
Hi Vaughanabe13,
sure but the backing rate wont be constant over time. We will see how it goes.
We'll see how it goes, but I have a feeling this is going to catch on like wildfire on the internet, and don't forget they will be demoing the Rift at QuakeCon.
Hm looking at the latest numbers kind of makes my comment earlier a bit funny...

alexlf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alexlf »

I wonder if Palmer has seen how fast the Kickstarter is moving yet. He might be in for a pretty big surprise if he went for lunch or something :lol:

mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mysticeti »

skydave wrote:
Hm looking at the latest numbers kind of makes my comment earlier a bit funny...
No no. Your comment about the rate not being constant spot on. The rate has been increasing! ;)

My earlier comment about the price was off too. There are certainly times when one doesn't mind eating one's own words, right?

Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

After finally watching the video on kickstarter it mentions as well as says on the site "ultra-low latency head tracking" does that mean the tracker is going to come with that 250hz firmware that JC had?

I'm guessing there will be an FAQ at some point on kickstarter that may have all the technical specs that everyone wants at some point?

On a side note in October EB are going to have the biggest games expo thats ever been in australia (so they say anyway, 30k square meters or something, Sony, 2k, Activision, EA, Capcom, Microsoft, Logitech and a plethora more companies), is there any chance of you could get the RIFT on show there?

I know you probably couldn't do it yourself since you'll be too busy but perhaps you could see if any of the companies that have hopped on board would be interested in bringing it over? Maybe one of them will want to do it just to go "nerh nerh we're on board with this and your not" to all those companies :P

edit: $145k.... 3:17am.... maybe i'll just stay up untill it becomes sucessfull just to witness it since it doesn't look like it's going to take much longer :mrgreen:
Last edited by Endothermic on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

mysticeti wrote: [...]
There were a few details provided:
Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms
Oh hey, wow, I must be totally blind this morning. Thanks for pointing that out! Going back to edit my post now... :)

Edit: Turns out that Palmer added them after I made that comment. Still, thanks for drawing my attention to them! ;)
Last edited by BillRoeske on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

brantlew wrote:@PalmerTech: Just curious about the pre-Kickstarter buyers. Will we be included in the $500 Kickstarter Tier automatically or is our package completely separate? Also is the DIY kit different than the assembled dev kit other than simply being unassembled?
You can get the $500 tier, or a refund, or a partial refund, or whatever you want, really. :) I can't figure it out in the next few days, but I promise that any pre-Kickstarter people will be well taken care of.

zino wrote:Great to see this up!

The presentation is really light on real data though. Most prominently resolution is not written out anywhere for example. Just "high resolution display", which I have a feeling will lead to some disappointed people unless they have been following this forum.
I agree. I just updated the page with some hard specs, they are very clear what you get total and per eye, resolution wise. We might actually be able to use a higher res panel if some things work out, but I would not count on it for the dev kit. The specs did not make it into the video because we were nailing down suppliers and parts options till the last second, and the video took time to finalize.

BillRoeske wrote:
druidsbane wrote:[...] Also, did it change to 110 degree horizontal FOV or is that the combined FOV for both eyes? I remember earlier it was just 90 degrees.[...]
As far as I can tell, it's unchanged. Up to this point, people have been quoting a 90° horizontal FOV, and the the video quotes the diagonal FOV. The unfortunate thing about the diagonal FOV is that, while it is a more marketing-friendly number, it doesn't tell you anything about the shape of the view.

Also, the FOV visualization in the video is extremely panoramic compared to what we've heard up to this point, which is a little weird.
I just updated the page to make clear, it is 110 diagonal, 90 horizontal. I mentioned 110 in the video because even as a less useful spec, it is what most HMD makers are using. I beat their FOV spec regardless, but for people who do not take the time to learn the difference, it needs to be easy to compare.

The FOV visualization is indeed too wide. That version of the CG should not have made it into the video, but things were crazy at the last second with all this video editing and filming and re-filming and re-recording audio, etc. Will be putting together a proper comparison as an early update soon.
BillRoeske wrote:
  • display update rate
  • sensor update rate
  • weight
  • video interface
  • USB-powered?
Just added the specs I could, but some of the things are still in flux. I want to avoid making promises I cannot keep. ;) The reason the video is so light is that a lot of people are watching it and getting excited, beyond just developers looking for specs. We are in the middle of putting together some updates with very in depth technical details, and information on the SDK and engine integration.

Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Backed it :)

To the people wanting to get 2 sets, I don't know if Palmer will do this, but I have backed other projects and there I could just pledge more and they marked my "order" to give me both "rewards".
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)

fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Palmer, I hope your going to have some serious production and assembly partners. Because when the consumer version comes out, hopefully with a higher res panel, will FLY off the shelves! Especially if the price is under $500, every gamer in the world will want one of these!!!

I hope you still come visit us in the forums when your a millionaire!! :mrgreen:

Johnny-Mnemonic

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Backed the project in first hour, really wish you all the best Palmer! To you and your team!
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup

BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

Awesome. I totally understand about all the reasons given, and believe me, I've had worse things make it into production releases due to circumstances beyond your control (ask me about Halo 2 for Windows Vista sometime...).

Thanks for keeping on top of this and updating with the specs! Also good to know that I actually wasn't being blind at first after all. ;)
Last edited by BillRoeske on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

So i've been around here for quite a while now, have seen a lot of very encouraged people willing to try things out, even put together my own hmd. But what you have done and achieved in such a short amount of time is breathtaking and inspiring. Id like to thank you for what youre doing for our comunity and the future of VR. Since i just learned that my girl is pregnant i will just get me the tshirt this time, but im sure as hell in for the consumer version when it hits. All the best!

Azel1221
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Azel1221 »

PalmerTech wrote:I agree. I just updated the page with some hard specs, they are very clear what you get total and per eye, resolution wise. We might actually be able to use a higher res panel if some things work out, but I would not count on it for the dev kit. The specs did not make it into the video because we were nailing down suppliers and parts options till the last second, and the video took time to finalize.
Hey Palmer, is the screen on the dev kit going to be upgradable? If so, how difficult are we talking and how much do you anticipate it might cost?

PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Azel1221 wrote:
PalmerTech wrote:I agree. I just updated the page with some hard specs, they are very clear what you get total and per eye, resolution wise. We might actually be able to use a higher res panel if some things work out, but I would not count on it for the dev kit. The specs did not make it into the video because we were nailing down suppliers and parts options till the last second, and the video took time to finalize.
Hey Palmer, is the screen on the dev kit going to be upgradable? If so, how difficult are we talking and how much do you anticipate it might cost?
It will be upgradable if you are good at modding stuff! I cannot anticipate a cost, though, or if it would even be worth upgrading. The display is by far the most expensive part of the HMD, so it might end up making more sense to just buy a new version of the HMD than to buy a panel for a developer-Rift.

Azel1221
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Azel1221 »

PalmerTech wrote:
Azel1221 wrote:
It will be upgradable if you are good at modding stuff! I cannot anticipate a cost, though, or if it would even be worth upgrading. The display is by far the most expensive part of the HMD, so it might end up making more sense to just buy a new version of the HMD than to buy a panel for a developer-Rift.
Yea that was my suspicion, appreciate the candor. How are things shaping up for the consumer version? Obviously we all know it'd be an incredibly rough ballpark pretty much guaranteed to change, but what kind of price, resolution, and time frame are you working toward?

sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

Given the iOS logo on the Kickstarter page, I'm wondering if it will be possible to read the head tracking data on that platform.
The display itself can probably be connected via the HDMI adapter (which also provides a separate dock connector), but will the USB connection be supported (camera connection kit?), given iOS' limited USB support?

[edit]: Over $200.000 already.
[edit]: Wow, that was fast. Congratulations Palmer!
Last edited by sth on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Amazing! It looks like it will be funded by the end of the day!!!

mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mysticeti »

fireslayer26 wrote:Amazing! It looks like it will be funded by the end of the day!!!
Possibly by the end of the hour!

Another $5K pledge just went in.

DougWolanick
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DougWolanick »

The Rift Kickstarter is the top story on Reddit right now :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... l_reality/
Last edited by DougWolanick on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okta

Post by Okta »

Hey Palmer well done :). I have a question regarding the difference between this dev kit and the consumer version. What will be the difference? And will the res/aspect ratio be the same? Will all the dev work done on this model be usable on the consumer version?

$227k already lol, i hope you have a few spare hands around to assemble all these things :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

mysticeti wrote:
fireslayer26 wrote:Amazing! It looks like it will be funded by the end of the day!!!

At the rate its going, your probably right! :mrgreen:

zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

mysticeti wrote:

That's Notch. He pledged 10k. I like him. He can stay. :)

Ref: https://twitter.com/notch/status/230727766520258560

vrforum1512
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrforum1512 »

Congratulations to Palmer and his team today!

Please may I ask some (newbie) questions about the Rift?

The display is described as stereoscopic. There is a lense for each eye, and a single LCD panel somehow giving images for both eyes.

Q: Is it truly stereoscopic?

Q: Is it the case that strictly the left (horizontal) half of the panel gives the image for the left eye, and the right half for the right eye?
Or is there overlap?

Q: Is there a physical divider between the eyes? i.e. blocking the left eye from seeing the right part of the LCD panel.
Or something else (perhaps the optical focus only).

Q: Is the video input two separate inputs, each rendered from different camera positions by the software (e.g. game engine)?
(This is my understanding of how some other stereo displays work.)

Q: If there are two separate left and right video channels, are they multiplexed on a single video cable, or using two cables?

Q: I assume there is a fixed-distance (virtual) focal distance. Roughly how long is that distance?

If some of these questions sound naive, it's probably because I don't know what I'm talking about!

Thanks, Richard

mysticeti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mysticeti »

zino wrote:
mysticeti wrote:

That's Notch. He pledged 10k. I like him. He can stay. :)

Ref: https://twitter.com/notch/status/230727766520258560
That's awesome! I wonder if Oculus will fly Notch out to their HQ twice? :)

BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

Ker-funded! Congrats, Palmer and the Oculus team! :D

SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

Done! Congratulations!

Return to “Oculus VR”