It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Acer H5360BD 720P HDMI 1.4 
Petrif-Eyed

xhonzi wrote:
There are far more people in that thread that share that opinion. I haven't really heard anyone strongly express the opposite opinion- that they've used DLP link and... ANY other kind of glasses and not prefered the DLP link.
When I talked about reviews of DLP-Link problems I was not refering to this thread (which I didn't read), but to several threads on AVS and other sites (including MTBS3D). These come with images showing the difference between DLP-Link and non DLP-Link 3D, and they illustrate quite well the problems I talked about.

xhonzi wrote:
At any rate, I don't have a dog in this fight. I just thought some of you would like to know what the masses of HD33 owners had experienced.
I just pointed out that the opinion of that one guy in this thread can't be extended as a general case. And even if a particular model of RF glasses is worse than DLP-Link, it doesn't mean that RF is inherently doomed. If properly implemented RF should be a lot better than DLP-Link, and better than IR too which have its own share of problems. That's pretty much the reason why 3D Vision Pro does use RF and not DLP-Link nor IR. Bluetooth is also another technology that is interesting and which is already used in several models of glasses (Samsung for example).

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Yesterday I bought an Acer H5360BD which I believe is the discussed projector in this topic. So my setup is the following:

H5360BD
MacBook Pro
- 2 GHz Intel Core i7
- 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB
- Max OS X Lion 10.7.2
Acer 3D Glasses (DLP Link)

I have two kind of movies to test:
1. Side-By-Side 3D MKV
2. 3D Blu Ray

My first question is the most important:
Is it possible to watch Side-By-Side MKV movies from my laptop in 3D on my projector?
If that is not possible, I can use BootCamp to run Windows, there I've been told I should use software like TotalMedia Theater and PowerDVD11 to get the side-by-side 3d effect. Is this true?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:15 am
Petrif-Eyed

You should be able to play side-by-side 3D movies under Mac OS X using Bino if you can force your display into a frame-packing mode (1280x1470).

See :
- http://bino3d.org/
- http://bino3d.org/doc/bino.html

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:59 am
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Thanks a bunch for the reply I am going to try and download it right now.

With display you mean the Acer H5360BD that I have right? Unfortunately I have no idea what frame-packing mode is, I need to check the manual on that too.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:29 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Ok I found something.

When connected to HDM 1.4, a new option will become available:
3D Format which has the options:
- Auto
- Frame Packing (yeeh)
- Top down
- Side by Side

However, my laptop is currently connected through VGA, so my guesses are I would need to figure out a way to connect my MacBook Pro through HDMi to the projector? Cause now the option is not available.

I do have AppleTV connected to the projector but my guesses are that won't be able to play 3d movies.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:21 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Wow this was INSANE easy! The problem indeed was with the VGA, this does not allow the projector to output a 3D image. However when I put my stereo movie on the AppleTV, I can choose side-by-side as the 3d Format and it all works!!! So awesome :D Thanks for the help.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:43 am
Petrif-Eyed

Yes you need an HDMI connexion for frame-packing, it's part of the HDMI 1.4a specification. All you should need is to use a graphics mode with a 1280x1470 resolution at 60Hz.

With VGA you need a way to send content in page-flipping format to your projector. OpenGL quad buffer stereo provides such a feature and may be supported on your Macbook Pro. Just launch Bino to see if it's detected.

But an HDMI connection would probably be simpler and provide a better image quality.

EDIT : didn't see your last message, nice that you got it working. :)

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2