It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Le Cauchemar - native stereo 3D support 
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

I have a fake joystick (PPJoy) and a fake TrackIR (made by me). The fake TrackIR uses the TrackIR API though, so Le Cauchemar shouldn't see it.

The fake joystick wasn't being used, so it should have all the axes centred.

I had the old graphics drivers that came with the laptop. I just upgraded it to a much later version, so I'll give it another test.

I tried turning on and off the bloom and glare.

Ah, there is a shortcut in my start menu.

EDIT: I had another try, and I'm still having the same problems. I can see the weather effects, rain, water on the (invisible) ground, fog and the bloom and glare but not the scenery. I can see the lights but not lampposts. I think I found one lamppost, and it looked completely black, I could only see it because of the hole it made in the weather. I think I found a doughboy too, but I'm not sure since I only saw a silhouette against the weather. And I saw some dark blurry greyish blobs in various places, but they were hard to see. I think I might have found a wall too, but it was completely invisible.

What settings do you want me to use when I take a screenshot? And what do I press to do a screenshot?

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:32 pm
Certif-Eyed!

Sorry for getting in the middle. I'd like to know more about what do you both mean with "geometrically correct 3D". Maybe, is it convergenceless stereo with asymmetrical frustrums? or is it about the relation between FOV, stereo separation and convergence?
Maybe any of you could open a thread about it if the topic is interesting enough.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 am

I assume he means that only virtual objects that are closer than the screen is appear in front of the screen, and things appear the correct distance behind the screen if they are further away than the screen is. So everything feels life-size. This way "convergence" is controlled by setting how far away the screen really is.

Of course for the whole scene to be geometrically correct, the FOV has to match the field of view of your vision that the screen takes up. With a standard size monitor that is quite a low FOV. I'm not sure how best to handle the stereoscopic parameters when the FOV is non-realistic, so I chose to pretend the screen was taking up the FOV of your vision that you specified for the FOV.

I think he uses the Johnny Lee kind of head-tracking too, which has to be geometrically correct. It makes the screen indistinguishable from a real-life window into a real-life world (except that your eyes have to focus at screen depth and converge at a different depth).

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 am
Cross Eyed!

crim3 - Hi :D Yes, by 'geometrically correct' I was mostly referring to asymmetric frustum stereo (I didn't know there was a name for it at the time). Like you said, there's no convergence; it's replaced by projection offsets when a monitor is used. When an HMD is used, I don't apply the projection offsets, because I assume each eye has a screen directly in front of it.
(UPDATE: As explained in the next post, this assumption was wrong. I've now corrected the HMD stereo in v21.2 to produce a full range of depth.)

The game also gives you a life-size FOV, dependent on the measurements you enter in the 'Real-world parameters' menu. If you connect TrackIR, it takes this further by keeping track of your eye positions, re-shaping each eye's frustum accordingly (I've been calling that 'virtual window' headtracking).

The way the stereo and the headtracking work together is extremely satisfying - it's almost like adding another dimension to the screen. Every tiny head movement reinforces the stereo illusion where normally it would weaken it. I want more people to see that effect, one way or another.
I would like to see 3D screens that come with their own hassle-free headtracking, like Sabre2552 suggested.

CarlKenner - Any settings should do, I think. The 'print screen' key should put a screenshot in the clipboard, that you can then paste. ('Alt' + 'print screen' captures just the current window).
A screenshot of the pause menu might be helpful too, thanks.
It sounds as if maybe all the textures are coming out black, or as if there's no lighting, hmm...
Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
phil

Last edited by phil on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:14 pm
Profile WWW

Your assumption (about HMDs) is wrong (I used to struggle with that assumption too). If it were true, then whenever you looked at a 2D program it would appear to be infinitely far away, which it doesn't. HMDs work exactly the same as monitors when it comes to stereo. When you buy a HMD, it says something like "virtual display equivalent to a 62-inch screen at 9 feet" (that's the VR920, the Z800 will be different numbers). That's not just a marketing spin to make the low FOV seem more than it is (although in the same sentence it calls 640x480 "extraordinary high resolution video"). Your eyes really do need to focus and converge at 9 feet. You need to treat the HMD exactly as though it was a 62 inch monitor 9 feet away.

The only difference between HMDs and monitors is the head tracking. Because the display is mounted to your head, your eyes stay in the same location relative to the screen. But with a monitor your eyes move relative to the screen so you need to do the Johnny Lee thing, aka "virtual window", aka desktop VR, aka Fishtank VR, aka Head-tracked perspective, aka CAVE. With a HMD you just move the camera with headtracking instead.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:38 am

OK, here's the Everest Report for my GeForce Go 7300.

Note the lack of support for texture compression.

DirectX Video
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Primary Display Driver ]

DirectDraw Device Properties:
DirectDraw Driver Name display
DirectDraw Driver Description Primary Display Driver
Hardware Driver nvd3dum.dll (7.15.11.7561 - nVIDIA ForceWare 175.61)
Hardware Description NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300

Direct3D Device Properties:
Rendering Bit Depths 16, 32
Z-Buffer Bit Depths 16, 24, 32
Min Texture Size 1 x 1
Max Texture Size 4096 x 4096
Vertex Shader Version 3.0
Pixel Shader Version 3.0

Direct3D Device Features:
Additive Texture Blending Supported
AGP Texturing Supported
Anisotropic Filtering Supported
Bilinear Filtering Supported
Cubic Environment Mapping Supported
Cubic Filtering Not Supported
Decal-Alpha Texture Blending Supported
Decal Texture Blending Supported
DirectX Texture Compression Not Supported
DirectX Volumetric Texture Compression Not Supported

Dithering Supported
Dot3 Texture Blending Supported
Dynamic Textures Supported
Edge Antialiasing Supported
Environmental Bump Mapping Supported
Environmental Bump Mapping + Luminance Supported
Factor Alpha Blending Supported
Geometric Hidden-Surface Removal Not Supported
Guard Band Supported
Hardware Scene Rasterization Supported
Hardware Transform & Lighting Supported
Legacy Depth Bias Supported
Mipmap LOD Bias Adjustments Supported
Mipmapped Cube Textures Supported
Mipmapped Volume Textures Supported
Modulate-Alpha Texture Blending Supported
Modulate Texture Blending Supported
Non-Square Textures Supported
N-Patches Not Supported
Perspective Texture Correction Supported
Point Sampling Supported
Projective Textures Supported
Quintic Bezier Curves & B-Splines Not Supported
Range-Based Fog Supported
Rectangular & Triangular Patches Not Supported
Rendering In Windowed Mode Supported
Scissor Test Supported
Slope-Scale Based Depth Bias Supported
Specular Flat Shading Supported
Specular Gouraud Shading Supported
Specular Phong Shading Not Supported
Spherical Mapping Supported
Stencil Buffers Supported
Sub-Pixel Accuracy Supported
Table Fog Supported
Texture Alpha Blending Supported
Texture Clamping Supported
Texture Mirroring Supported
Texture Transparency Supported
Texture Wrapping Supported
Triangle Culling Not Supported
Trilinear Filtering Supported
Two-Sided Stencil Test Supported
Vertex Alpha Blending Supported
Vertex Fog Supported
Vertex Tweening Not Supported
Volume Textures Supported
W-Based Fog Supported
W-Buffering Not Supported
Z-Based Fog Supported
Z-Bias Supported
Z-Test Supported

Supported FourCC Codes:
AI44 Supported
AIP8 Supported
ATOC Supported
AV12 Supported
AYUV Supported
NV12 Supported
NVDB Supported
NVDP Supported
NVMD Supported
PLFF Supported
R2VB Supported
SSAA Supported
UYVY Supported
YUY2 Supported
YV12 Supported

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 am
Cross Eyed!

CarlKenner - Thanks for the info, especially the important advice about HMD stereo! In version 21.2, I've fixed my mistake to produce the full range of depth - much better 8)

When a Z800 is connected, the game now defaults to a screen width of 81cm and a viewing distance of 144cm. These are the rough measurements that I took using the headset today, but I'm sure the ideal values will vary from player to player since they depend on how the eyepieces have been positioned.

http://download.programmerart.org

I've still not made any progress on your compatibility bugs though :?

Cheers,
phil

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:29 pm
Profile WWW

I was going to have a go at adding VR920 support to the source code, but that is hard when I can't get it to display properly in 2D yet.
Wiimote head-tracking would also be cool, for those of us who don't have TrackIR.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:05 pm
Cross Eyed!

VR920 head-tracking? That sounds like a good plan... I like that idea.
Could you give me some advice on how to communicate with that headtracker?

I don't have a VR920, so I don't know much about it. Is there an SDK / libs / dll that I'll need? Is there some sample code somewhere for it? Does the tracker detect yaw and pitch only?

What's the stereo input format for this headset? Is it frame-sequential 85Hz?

I don't think I'm going to be tempted towards Wiimote or FreeTrack headtracking though. Supporting one optical tracker was enough work for me (worthwhile in the end though, largely thanks to crim3 for showing me how to track the thing properly).

The Z800 was nice and easy because it simply sends you a stream of yaw,pitch,roll values ready to use (and it comes with helpful example programs).

I would like to support more head-tracking methods, but I've totally run out of time on this project :oops: and haven't even replaced those placeholder enemies yet! :lol:

I feel bad about those compatibility problems that you and yuriythebest1 and possibly others have been having. Do you know if any of the changes I suggested make a difference? Ideally I should try to get hold of a GeForce 7300 to test with...

Cheers,
phil

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

No, it is Frame Sequential 60Hz, like the Z800. BUT unlike the Z800, it sends a signal on the USB port to change eyes, and the image stays frozen until it gets that signal. That way the stereo works properly even if the frame rate is only 10 FPS. And unlike the Z800, it supports 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 resolutions. Its native resolution is 640x480 though, so its best to use that.

Tracking and stereo is easy if you use the SDK. It gives you the yaw, pitch and roll. You don't need any DLLs, since the DLL is installed with the drivers on any computer with a VR920.

You can download the SDK from here:

http://www.vuzix.com/support/downloads_drivers.html

By the way, the iZ3D SDK is open now. I complained about it being closed because I wanted to use it in an open source project, and iZ3D said it has been open for a month now, and they sent it to me. So you can release the iZ3D source.

If you don't want to support other trackers, can you make a way that we can pass tracking information to your game from other programs (eg GlovePIE). While GlovePIE can emulate TrackIR for every other game, it can't emulate the Optitrack SDK that you use.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:37 am
Cross Eyed!

CarlKenner - Hi, I think I might have reproduced your bug, or something similar.
Does it look anything like these screenshots (link below)?

http://www.programmerart.org/v21bug

Or could you see all your weather effects clearly?
If you switch to WOWvx mode (interfaces\output\stereoscopy), do you see a meaningful depth image like the one in the last screenshot?

Thanks,
phil

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Cross Eyed!

Hi,

I've uploaded v23.0 which has VR920 native stereo and headtracking (to be improved).

If you have a VR920, just plug it in, launch the game and press Alt-Enter to switch to fullscreen mode for the stereo.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

http://download.programmerart.org

Cheers,
phil

Thu May 21, 2009 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello, and Nice work for your game.
I have 2 problem with "le cauchemar" :
1)
My character move on its own.
He has a constant rotation and translation speed.
When I'm in the menu this problem is gone.
When i come back to the game constant movement is back.

I think the game take input from some device, but i don't know which one !
I only have my Z800 plugged and the head tracking work ok in the game and menu.
May be it's because of GlovePie install or PPjoy emulator ?
is there a way to display from where those command come from ? ( I'm a C++ dev so don't hesitate and I'm French too ;)

2)
In the menu I can see all the different menu bubbles by looking around with my Z800.
This is strange, and confusing if you don't look at the active menu...

Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm
Cross Eyed!

Hi SlyWax,
thanks for trying the game and for giving feedback :D

SlyWax wrote:
1)
My character move on its own.
He has a constant rotation and translation speed.
When I'm in the menu this problem is gone.
When i come back to the game constant movement is back.

I think the game take input from some device, but i don't know which one !
I only have my Z800 plugged and the head tracking work ok in the game and menu.
May be it's because of GlovePie install or PPjoy emulator ?

I think you're right, I expect this is being caused by an uncentred virtual joystick. Someone else had that problem before.

SlyWax wrote:
2)
In the menu I can see all the different menu bubbles by looking around with my Z800.
This is strange, and confusing if you don't look at the active menu...

(There's a video of this here)
It's something I did deliberately, just because I thought it would be cool :lol: I always liked the idea of being able to look around with an HMD to see the whole of the menu tree. But I agree, it is confusing and awkward to use.
The other way it could work is that the menus light-up and become active as you look at them. So whichever menu you're looking at would automatically become the active one. But that would quickly get uncomfortable with the number of menus I have there.

Do you have any ideas for what menus should ideally be like in a game with head-tracking?

SlyWax wrote:
( I'm a C++ dev so don't hesitate and I'm French too ;)

Cool 8) If you'd like to suggest any improvements to the French text in the game, please do! I'm fairly new to the language so I found it difficult to name all the options - some of them must be totally wrong. For some of the terms I consulted granddictionnaire.com, but I think it did more harm than good :lol:

All the game's source code is included in the download (C++ & HLSL, using DirectX). But it's not in a ready-to-compile state, nowhere near. Maybe one day I'll set that up so anyone can compile and modify the game, but it's complicated because of the various SDKs required...

Thanks,
phil

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Cross Eyed!

Hi,

This project is basically abandoned now, but I've uploaded v24.1 which features:

• Realistic zombie models (finally!)

• Choice of two different styles of interlaced stereo:
- 'fizzy' (more detail)
- 'blocky' (more solidity)

• Example options profile for the Zalman 19" 3D monitor.

• Fixed ground reflection culling.

Cheers,
phil

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3