It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Building AMD 3D gaming rig.Anybody gaming? Plz tell yor rig. 
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi all,
Sorry guys,posted here by mistake.so i hav posted this querry in hardware & tech support.i dunno how 2 move the post,so Plz ignore this.
I m getting a budget pc for 3d gaming. Well i dont want a highest end machine. Processor doesnt really affect much in 3d gaming, so it has 2 b a sufficient GPU. I can get second hand things also so budget to b ~±450 $. Peoples, whosoever has been gaming on 3d, plz share yor configuration (if possible tell yor models also) as well as its compatibility & playable FPS & which all games hav been played. Coz i dont wan 2 go as forums & benches say. I need yor info. Plz feel free for any inputs. Thanks

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:17 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Well $450 ain't gonna buy you much. I mean, the latest Nvidia cards cost more than that just for the GPU. So if that is your total budget you might have to go old-school. Meaning with the old Nvidia legacy drivers on Windows XP and a vintage card. You can get a 7900 GTX for like $20, and that should be able to run older games like Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, F.E.A.R, Tomb Raider Anniversary, etc. Then you will need a CRT monitor, mostly any will be supported but look to see if you can get one that can hit 120Hz at a decent resolution. Shipping would cost a fortune, but you might find one on craigslist locally (or maybe you have one laying around). Shutter glasses (like the generic DLP rebrand of the ELSA Revelators) will cost you about $75. CPU/Mobo/RAM is not as important, but you still need something capable. P4 2.4Ghz w/ 2GB RAM is probably the lowest I would go (I used to run that and had a lot of fun playing older titles). If you want to go more modern, then you can probably cobble something together using AMD parts for a decent amount. I found this after a quick search for $379:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... =u00000687

However you would still need to add a video card, like the Radeon HD 5670 for $79, which would bring you to $450. However this doesn't include any sort of 3D display or glasses, etc. Since its a total AMD rig, then Nvidia 3D Vision is not an option. You could still go for an old CRT with the DDD/IZ3D drivers if you use interlaced mode (but you will also need shutter glasses that include a "line-blanking" compatible dongle). If you want to go really cheap, than anaglyph is always an option. I recommend the Pro-Ana glasses ($10). For any modern 3D solution you are looking to spend like $300 off the bat, probably closer to $500 for the display/glasses combo. I mean, you can probably find the IZ3D monitor for like $150 on eBay but it hasn't exactly got the best reviews. Still, you are not going to get much better for the price. Then there is the VR920 for around $350, but you will then need to buy the iz3d drivers ($40) and the experience probably isn't as great as a 3D monitor. Then there is the Nvidia 3D Vision, around $500 for the bundle (but remember you need a Nvidia card which will cost more and it only works with Vista/7). If you want to go the Nvidia 3D Vision route, then there are also some 3D projectors starting at $350, so that could be an option. There is also the Zalman Trimon 3D monitor, which does work with AMD GPUs but costs around $500+. And you could always get a 3D HDTV, but then you are going to spend $1000+ just on the display. So any way you look you are going to be spending a lot more than $450, even if you can build a rig for that price.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

I mistakenly cross posted,later i added an apology here.
Seems like newegg server is not working in India rite now,so i cant c the rig u mentioned. U said that it is Amd route, u meant only by Radeon card or by CPU. With AMD CPU+ am3 mobo i can use nvidia GPU also i suppose. If i get a good Nvidia Gpu seperately,then is this rig going to be bottleneck free in most games? For screen i can arrange a 21" Crt (120 Hz)- HP P1130. & laterz a projector as well. Wat do u say?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:26 am
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Yeah, you can surely run an Nvidia card with an AMD CPU. I just mentioned the AMD card since that is what you requested in the topic. However an Nvidia GPU would open up some doors. I can't say the rig wouldn't bottleneck (surely something would be limiting). Building a computer that cheap you are probably going to have trouble running high-end games in 3D. Although if you are willing to play on medium/low settings you might be OK. For example, on my C2D E8400@3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR2, GTX 470 rig I can just barely get playable framerates out of Metro 2033 in 3D at absolute "low" settings. I probably get around 30-40fps, which is respectable. Most other games I can get 45-60fps in 3D on "high" settings. Most of my machine is pretty old, so even a low-end AMD mobo/CPU could compete, but the GPU is more important in regards to 3D. So if you go with a cheapo video-card that may hold you back. But, even so, if you just stick to slightly older games at moderate settings you should be OK.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:03 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi, thank u so much. It has bn a severe headache since last month, researching for quality & budget cpu. Seems like it is solved now.well, some of high end games i'll hav 2 secrifice but rest shud b ok.Some of parts like RAM, DISK,PSU i wil get second hand & get a strong GPU. Bunches of thanks.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]