It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lenses. 
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello

Let us can be used the screen of the tablet galaxy tab2 7 ( 7 inches) for this assembly

Thank you

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:04 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello

Can this model of screen work?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/7inch-1280x800-6 ... SwqYBWof4A

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:33 am
Cross Eyed!

I noticed some of my links are dead, so here are the files for the DIY DK1 Rift.

Here is the EDID file

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy

And here is the open source tracker firmware file

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy

Mon May 02, 2016 8:40 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Will1384, major kudos!

Recently got mine working:
- Screen is 1280*800 N070ICG, ~$60
- Generic Colorcross VR headset (Google cardboard-style lenses seem fine), ~$12
- Rubber baby buggy bumper foam padding, superglued to mask for comfort (generic headset hurt), ~$4
- EDID spoofer failed, so ordered a headless dongle online (blew at least 10 hours trying all methods here, but realized after getting the dongle that I had the latest SDK installed...ops... worth the knowledge acquisition), ~$15
- Tracker, with excellent instructions on the drotek.fr MPU6000 & STM32F103C8T6 (no HMC, haven't noticed drift)~$25
- Extension cables/ties

Only Oculus 0.4.4 runtime is working, which is limiting. Vireio Perception and SteamVR are not working for mine with runtime 0.4.4 (Windows 10, NVIDIA GeForceGTX 760). Mysteriously in Win 10, after installing the newer SDKs, the EDID is not getting detected at all. The graphics card won't even recognize a monitor is plugged in, even with a fresh restart with only the EDID plugged in. After uninstalling Oculus and restarting, the EDID is immediately detected. This happened with Oculus runtime versions 0.7, 0.8, and 1.3, but 0.4.4 works perfectly... My drivers are up to date, and I noticed from the forum here that it had been not working, but now was working again for them.

Maybe I missed a step in getting newer Oculus runtimes working in Win10 and seeing the EDID?

Vireio Perception is impressive stuff. Unfortunately, I could not get 3.0.1 working direct to rift, or detecting tracking. However, it was working for me in side by side crosseyed. Outside the mask, anaglyph worked. Key note for anyone else struggling with visual studio mscvp100.dll errors, installing all three of these resolved it:
- Visual C++ 2010 x64
- Visual C++ 2010 x86
- Visual C++ 2012 x86

This is amazing even without SteamVR/Vireio, and finally have experienced the :woot .
Fantastic work on the forum and experimenting!

---------------------
Demos/games with which I've had success, for anyone else with similar build.

These two games worked natively with the 0.4.4 runtime, though sometimes had to unplug/plug the tracker:
- Alien Isolation
- Slender The Arrival

Demos, mostly the pre-0.6 Oculus demos:
- A Chair in a Room
- Affected v1.3
- Airdrift 0.3.1
- Alone
- Battle of Endor x64
- Celestial Song
- Chicken Walk
- Chilling Space
- Clutch VR
- Deep Down in Space
- Deep Echo
- I expect you to die
- Kite & Lightning
- Ocean Rift
- Project Jump Scare
- Rift Coaster HD
- Spindrift v1.4 (favorite)
- Surge
- TNG Engineering
- Voc Machinae (awesome)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi everyone, I've been away for a bit pursuing other projects but decided to pick up my DIY DK1 project again.
So I have noticed that since CV1 was released, a lot of changes have been made to the oculus runtimes. Which leaves our DIY DK1 in an even worse state that the Oculus DK1 itself.
So after a bit of digging around reddit, it appears that people are having some success using the OSVR runtimes to breathe at least a little more life into the DK1.

So I thought to myself "Why not, if its working for other peoples Oculus DK1s, then why not my DIY DK1?"

My DK1 works perfect with runtime 0.6.0.1 in windows 10 when I run the service in Windows 8 compatibility mode. SO I downloading the OSVR runtime, and the oculus Rif 0.6.0.1 plugin. Setup a OSVR script to point to my DIY DK1.

And....

I cant for the life of me get to work. I can seen in the verbose output that something is detected (is it my DK1???) but it doesn't specifically say.

Are there any OSVR gurus here that have successfully got their DK1s (or DIY DK1s) working with OSVR???

Also i'm sorry if I have hijacked this thread, a few of my other notes were in this thread so I decided to continue here.

Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

will1384 wrote:
I made some diagrams for the three boards I found at eBay:

STM32F103C8T6 Minimum System Development Board

IMU 6DOF - MPU6000 Invensense sensor board - make sure its a real MPU-6000 and not a MPU-6050

GY-282 HMC5983

This is the STM32F103C8T6 Minimum System Development Board and GY-282 HMC5983 connected, I am not sure about the HMC5983's PIN-9, the real Rift tracker has the HMC5983's PIN-9 connected to the STM32F103C8T6's PB9, but the GY-282 HMC5983 board has the HMC5983's PIN-9 connected to ground, I may have to cut a trace on the GY-282 HMC5983 to disconnect the HMC5983's PIN-9 from GND, and then run a wire from the HMC5983's PIN-9 to the STM32F103C8T6's PB9.

This is the STM32F103C8T6 Minimum System Development Board and the IMU 6DOF - MPU6000 Invensense sensor board connected.

Hi dear friend!

Please help me so much! I try to make your vr headset but i have board MPU 6500 (you use MPU 6000). I think MPU 6500 it same, but i don't know how need to connect MPU 6500 to the STM32F103C8T6 because i not engeneer, but I know how to solder board.
You can see:
I have STM32F103C8T6 and HMC5983 and MPU 6500 ( http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/6DOF-MPU- ... -eub6yrrBy )
I try to solder board. Pins on MPU 6500 not same pins on MPU 6000. But i try solder board anyway. I try associate pins MPU 6000 and MPU 6500 and that's what I got:
GND = GND
3.3V = VCC
SCLK = ECL
SDI = EDA
SDO = ADO
CS = NCS
INT = INT

I think its stupid, but i not engeneer( I think i need instructions how solder MPU 6500 to pins on STM32F103C8T6.
I try connect my tracker to PC and SDK see Oculus but tracking not worked.

Meybe somebody help me?

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:17 am
One Eyed Hopeful

VladimirRUS - Not sure a MPU6500 will work as the firmware will be trying to communicate with the MPU6000 specifically

Also an update on getting my DIYRift working with OSVR.

Firstly my computer setup is as follows
Windows 10 x64
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (Old card and I need more grunt, but good enough for DIY projects such as this)

I had to completely uninstall all traces of the Oculus Runtime then install Runtime 0.5.0.1
This seems to work perfectly with Windows 10, the service runs and the config program detects my Rift, the calibration works and the demo scene works fine
I installed the latest Windows OSVR runtime and downloaded the latest Oculus Plugin for Runtime 0.5.0.1 and extracted it into the OSVR folder

My OSVR-server config file looks like this
{
"display": "displays/Oculus_Rift_DK1.json",
"renderManagerConfig": "sample-configs/renderManager.extended.landscape.json"
}

The OSVR-server now detects my DIY Rift with one small caveat.

The starting Head position is at y=0, Which means it looks like my head is stuck in the ground.
I have tried a few things to work around the issue but cannot get it to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:12 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

I'd recommend coming to ask for help in the OSVR Gitter https://gitter.im/OSVR/OSVR-General. Is the Head Position issue with all OSVR content or only with SteamVR? The steamVR issue is a known issue but if it's with all OSVR content then it's something unique to you, so I'd come ask.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:15 am
Cross Eyed!

I have had a lot of stuff to distract me lately, but I noticed a post on reddit about the DK1, OSVR, and SteamVR, have a look over here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSVR/comments/ ... inect_and/

and

https://github.com/simlrh/OSVR-OpenHMD

I was able to get my homemade DK1 and a XG PCVR DK1/DK2 clone working with OSVR and SteamVR, its not very easy to set up and get working, but it does work.

My biggest problems getting this to work were seeming caused by my video card drivers, I think, the DK1 always seems to get monitor (1) and my LCD is always set to monitor (2) and this happens no matter what video port they are plugged into, and I don't have any Rift drivers installed, you need landscape mode for SteamVR so I needed my LCD to the left and DK1 to the right, I had to into the "Nvidia control panel" and go to "Setup multiple displays" and and change it so my LCD display is the on the left and the DK1 is on the right, you just drag the monitor box with your mouse to put it in the correct order, and I also needed the LCD to be the primary display, like this:

the other problem is that at with the LCD and DK1 set to 1920x1080 everything works, but if I set the DK1 to its native resolution SteamVR fails, and I am not sure why.

Other things to note:

If you make changes to the .JSON files you need to close and restart the OSVR server.

Download something like Notepad++ to edit the the .JSON files.

OSVR plug-ins go into the "osvr-plugins-0" directory like this "C:\Program Files\OSVR\Runtime\bin\osvr-plugins-0".

The OSVR server needs to be running before SteamVR.

I just wanted to share what I learned.

BTW when you get it working and are able to run the SteamVR standing room setup, put the DK1 on a shelf about standing head level, and measure up from the floor to the DK1 to get the number that standing room setup needs, this seems to help keep you from being to low to the ground inside the games.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:20 pm
Cross Eyed!

I only have a few games that work with OSVR/Vibe in Steam, one of them is Windlands and it seems to work without problem, I also got the VR media player Whirligig running, and the SteamVR demos and introductions also work.

I have noticed that I have to follow a set procedure before the SteamVR programs work, here is what I do:

(1) Start OSVR Server
(2) Start Steam
(3) Start SteamVR, it will likely ask "SteamVR is disabled because it crashed the last time it ran, Would you like to try again?" click on "YES"
(4) Start the VR program

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:42 am
Cross Eyed!

I was able to get a used DK2 cheap from a software developer, and wanted to share some thoughts about the DIY DK1 clone, the I AM Cardboard XG PCVR, and the Oculus Rift DK2.

The screen door affect is the same on all three devices.

The resolution is different, the DIY DK1 is 720P and the PCVR and DK2 are 1080p.

The lenses on the PCVR are not very good, but the 5X Loupe lens on my DIY DK1 are every bit as good as the DK2 lenses.

The 5X Loupe lens work wonders for the PCVR, but that requires modifications to the PCVR.

The PCVR and DK2 both seem to be using phone screens, screen quality seems about the same on both devices.

Build quality / design is better on the DK2, but the PCVR did copy the looks of the DK2, and added some nice touches like replaceable foam and easy screen access but they made a poor design choice with cable management and now I am going to have to fix a broken HDMI port on the PCVR because there is no protection from the cable getting pulled, on the DK2 the cable ends are covered / held in place, and both cables have strain relief, also the EDID of the PCVR should have been set to the DK1's EDID but instead they tried using a DK2 prototype EDID making it harder to use the device with later Oculus SDKs.

Tracking is better on the PCVR than on DIY DK1, but from what I can tell the PCVR uses a clone of the DK1 tracker so thats got me wondering what the difference is, the DK2 tracking is the best I have tried as long as you stay in the tracking camera's view.

Using the PCVR with my EDID spoofer, rotating the PCVR's phone screen with the video card drivers, and modifying the PCVR with the 5X Loupe lens makes for an amazing DK1 clone.

I have retired the DK1 clone in favor of the DK2 and modified PCVR, and will likely be using both of them with SteamVR and OSVR.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5