It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Another DIY HMD, cheap build, 7" 1024x600, 5X Loupe lenses. 
One Eyed Hopeful

The Arduino EEPROM programmer I'm using is working absolutely flawlessly now. I can make changes to the EDID and see the changes in Windows no problem. No magic required now. :D

It appears that there are only 3 things that the Oculus SDK is looking for:
Manufacturer ID: OVR
Product ID: 0001
Somewhere in the detailed timings blocks the "Display Product Name": Rift DK

So long as these three values are set in the EDID, the Oculus config utility will identify the screen as a Rift.

Sadly, I'm still running into problems, which is what led me to the discovery above.

I'm using a couple of HDMI breakout boards attached together all except for Pins 15 + 16 (SCL and SDA) which have separate pins to send data from the EEPROM to the PC.
There are two HDMI cables, one from the PC to the first breakout board which has the EEPROM on Pins 15+16 and the second cable running from the second breakout board to the actual display's controller which has a mini-HDMI connection.

If I make the three changes to the EDID of the display I'm using pulled from the registry (and only those three changes) and then program the EEPROM, Oculus does detect it as a Rift screen but it's also being detected as being connected through DVI in the nVidia control panel and it appears that all available resolutions are locked at 30Hz refresh rate. :x

This was BAFFLING. I'm not sure how those three values I'm changing would in any way influence what refresh rates are available AND change how the PC is registering the connection (DVI vs. HDMI).
I tried clearing out everything in regards to displays from the Windows Registry thinking maybe an old EDID/detected display I was using that wasn't set up correctly was being used, and have even uninstalled the Oculus runtime, both to no avail.
To eliminate the possibility of faulty connections I connected the 15+16 pins between the two breakout boards and the display worked at 60Hz without a problem and detected as HDMI.

I spent HOURS last night and today trying to figure this out and I was convinced that there was something wrong with my PC, like Windows holding on to a driver or something until I loaded up Monitor Asset Manager again, and looked at the display when directly connected... It seemed like it had a lot more info being displayed, more than what appeared in Deltacast. I scrolled down and saw that the raw data was actually DOUBLE the size. Through all of this, I learned about something new today.... Enhanced EDID. E-EDID stores additional information but that additional information is not stored within the Windows registry, hence why Deltacast doesn't extract it.

Sadly the 24LC21 chips only have enough room only store the standard EDID (1k). Looks like I'll need to get a 24LC02 (2k) to store the additional data unless I can figure out how to send data from two separate 24LC21 chips :shock:

Here's a couple of links to pictures of my EDID spoofer setup.

EDID Spoofer:
I have the Arduino hooked up there while trying to figure out why the display was only being detected as DVI/30Hz. Makes it easy to write to the EDID without swapping the cables around.

HDMI Breakout:
Yes, I could have just as easily cut open a cable and carefully pulled out the SDA and SCL lines, but I'm also looking to pull the V-sync out from a couple of the data lines using a V-sync extractor circuit I found on here. This is a great little way to get at the lines within HDMI without introducing interference or problems on the display and having to deal with a whole lot of wires.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:09 pm
Cross Eyed!

I am using HDMI on the DIY Rift LCD to DVI on the computer, the 24LC21 seems to work for HDMI to DVI, and I can even bump up the refresh to 70Hz, I had tried 75Hz and had discolouration, I only have one video card with a HDMI connector and its on a Linux box, so I never tested HDMI to HDMI.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:23 am
One Eyed Hopeful

IT'S ALIVE!!
After programming a 2K EEPROM (24LC02) with the full Enhanced EDID of my screen with the three values set, my 1440p screen is now showing up at 60Hz and as an HDMI connection AND being detected as a Rift screen :woot

I also purchased a couple of 24LCS22 2K EEPROM as well as they are specifically mentioned for E-EDID applications, but I could only get them in surface mount (super tiny!), but luckily the standard 24LC02 in a DIP package worked.

Just have to say it again Will, thanks for posting all the info you have!

Edit:
I've also not included the magnetometer on my circuit as of yet, as you had mentioned that the calibration fails anyway. I'm able to get this set up working up to SDK 0.4.4 but 0.5.0.1 doesn't detect it. I also hooked up the magnetometer (sans the extra wire that needs to be hooked up on pin 9) and still no detection. I'm going to try getting that extra wire hooked up and see if that helps any tonight.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:51 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

That's amazing!

About not including the magnetometer... that means you're getting good results without it?
(that's my only doubt to make it :woot )

Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 am
Cross Eyed!

The newer Oculus runtime seems to give some people problems with the DK1, including me, have a look over at:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/34nhb4/updated_to_0501_now_my_pc_cant_detect_my_dk1/

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/357l71/dk1_no_hmd_detected_no_tracker_connected_v0501/

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22361

It mostly gives me problems with stuff that requires the newer Oculus runtime, like Steam VR, I can get older stuff to work, basically if I clone the desktop display or "Duplicate These Displays" the the new Oculus runtime stops recognizing the DK1.

Last edited by will1384 on Fri May 08, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 04, 2015 4:57 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi, i follow the tutorial to make a headtracker...it works on sdk 0.5.0.1:

Check it!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_fZrKae68

:D :D :D :D :D

Tue May 05, 2015 12:00 pm
Cross Eyed!

Alienkore wrote:
Hi, i follow the tutorial to make a headtracker...it works on sdk 0.5.0.1:

Check it!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_fZrKae68

:D :D :D :D :D

Nice video!

Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi,
I want to play oculus demo DK1 but allso Half Life Vr with the hydra, can i use this setup to achieve this :

Stm32f3discovery head tracker
Edid spoof hdmi to dvi
Normaly steam vr should start.
Then the hard part is that hl2 vr start as extended monitor and not primary who is our edid spoofer i think.
So can i plug in my hdmi output feom my laptop the hdmi/dvi edid spoofeer and in my vga output i will connect a monitor, so do you think that half life 2 vr will display on that extended monitor?

Thank you.

Fri May 15, 2015 9:57 am
Cross Eyed!

techfree wrote:
Hi,
I want to play oculus demo DK1 but allso Half Life Vr with the hydra, can i use this setup to achieve this :

Stm32f3discovery head tracker
Edid spoof hdmi to dvi
Normaly steam vr should start.
Then the hard part is that hl2 vr start as extended monitor and not primary who is our edid spoofer i think.
So can i plug in my hdmi output feom my laptop the hdmi/dvi edid spoofeer and in my vga output i will connect a monitor, so do you think that half life 2 vr will display on that extended monitor?

Thank you.

The STM32F3DISCOVERY no longer works correctly, and has not for months, you ether have to build a tracker like I did, or buy a clone of the DK1 tracker from somewhere like eBay.

I just upgraded my video card to a used GTX 460 from eBay, and Oculus just released the new Runtime v0.6.0.0-beta, but SteamVR is still not working for me, if SteamVR fails to work so do games like Half Life, and SteamVR has not worked since Runtime v0.5 on my computer, its likely that Oculus is slowly dropping support for the DK1, or they are real busy working on the consumer unit.

If you have VGA, DVI, and HDMI, pick ether DVI or HDMI, but if you pick HDMI you may have to use the 24LC02 chip in place of the 24LC21 like Daturian was talking about.

I would wait an see if any "cheap" VR devices show up in the next few months, you might save money, and get a much better VR device, I am kinda hoping something like OSVR will work with DK1 software and games, maybe even DK2 software and games.

Fri May 15, 2015 3:39 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi Will1384, Great work on your DIY DK1 Tracker, I ordered the parts and built my own and works a treat.
However I do have some questions.

With the Oculus Runtime, Is a DK1 screen required (eg a LCD flashed/spoofed with the Oculus EDID)?
I can complete the Calibration using the 0.3.2 Oculus Utility but its not discovered in version 0.4.4 or above.
Before I start ordering the things in need to spoof the EDID I thought I would ask.

Also have you tried your tracker with Vireio Perception Oculus Track plugin? I get "HMD not detected" so I am thinking I need to spoof the EDID.

Sun May 17, 2015 6:33 pm
Cross Eyed!

srbaude wrote:
Hi Will1384, Great work on your DIY DK1 Tracker, I ordered the parts and built my own and works a treat.
However I do have some questions.

With the Oculus Runtime, Is a DK1 screen required (eg a LCD flashed/spoofed with the Oculus EDID)?
I can complete the Calibration using the 0.3.2 Oculus Utility but its not discovered in version 0.4.4 or above.
Before I start ordering the things in need to spoof the EDID I thought I would ask.

Also have you tried your tracker with Vireio Perception Oculus Track plugin? I get "HMD not detected" so I am thinking I need to spoof the EDID.

Yea the EDID is needed for the SDK/Runtime, not sure on Vireio Perception.

Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

With some fiddling, I can get my tracker to work with Vireio's oculustrack plugin using the 0.4.4 runtime. I can also complete the Mag Calibration in 0.4.4.

After going through Wil1384 posts about spoofing the edid and discovering the website to the diy programmer is down (gone?) I thought I would share this image with you all I found on google.

Its about the simplest programmer you will find for programming a eeprom 24cXX chip. Worked great for me.

Last I need to jig this up to a hdmi or DVI cable (have to see what I have lying around) and then my 1280x800 VR headset will be complete. Photos to come...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

So went down to the local electronics/hobbyist shop and picked up a 24LC256 eeprom because they didn't have the 24lc21.
I cannot for the life of me get it to work, I have gone through wil1384s instructions for creating an oval edid but when I plug it all in I get a non pip monitor and cannot change resolutions. The monitor info program doesn't see the monitor plugged in at all either which means the eeprom is t working. I have that the chip is getting .
Is it possible the 24LC256 will not work for this build? Should I go ahead and purchase a 24lc21 from eBay?

Sat May 23, 2015 4:09 am
Cross Eyed!

srbaude wrote:
So went down to the local electronics/hobbyist shop and picked up a 24LC256 eeprom because they didn't have the 24lc21.
I cannot for the life of me get it to work, I have gone through wil1384s instructions for creating an oval edid but when I plug it all in I get a non pip monitor and cannot change resolutions. The monitor info program doesn't see the monitor plugged in at all either which means the eeprom is t working. I have that the chip is getting .
Is it possible the 24LC256 will not work for this build? Should I go ahead and purchase a 24lc21 from eBay?

I downloaded the PDFs for both chips, there is not a lot of difference, but I did see that the 24LC21 supports DDC1 and DDC2, that’s used by the EDID:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel

but the PDF of the 24LC256 does not have DDC1 and DDC2 listed as features, however, I did find a Cellphone HTC Desire HD LCD to computer display project using HDMI, that seems to use a 24LC256 for the EDID

http://www.sharedcircuits.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=33

Its called the "Manga Screen":

https://bitbucket.org/intelligentagent/manga-screen/src/edab80a756e0?at=master

in later versions they switched to a 24AA01 chip for EDID.

Sat May 23, 2015 12:14 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Ahh well that would do it then.
I couldn't find any 24lc21 chips on eBay for an acceptable price (AU$20 being the cheapest delivered) but I did find 5x 24lc02 chips for AU$6.50 so I bought them as somebody in this forum used them for his spoofer. They will take a few weeks to deliver .

Sat May 23, 2015 8:29 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hey Will quick question
I stumbled across your V2 Spoofer at http://imgur.com/a/HVage
Does this spoofer not require an external power source? is the power supplied to the chip through the cable?
Since im waiting for my 24LC02 chips to arrive I think i'll build your V2 spoofer but I just wanted to clarify the power source first.

Edit: I re-read the diagram and I can see that the 5V, Hotplug and Clock and Data stop at the Spoofer with Ground the only wire passing through. I take it this means that yes the power is being supplied to the chip from the computer.

Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 pm
Cross Eyed!

srbaude wrote:
Hey Will quick question
I stumbled across your V2 Spoofer at http://imgur.com/a/HVage
Does this spoofer not require an external power source? is the power supplied to the chip through the cable?
Since im waiting for my 24LC02 chips to arrive I think i'll build your V2 spoofer but I just wanted to clarify the power source first.

Edit: I re-read the diagram and I can see that the 5V, Hotplug and Clock and Data stop at the Spoofer with Ground the only wire passing through. I take it this means that yes the power is being supplied to the chip from the computer.

I had to switch to the v2 EDID Spoofer after I found out the first EDID Spoofer I made only worked on a few computers, the v2 EDID Spoofer gets its power from the video cable, the Clock, Data, +5v, and Hot Plug end at the EDID Spoofer, and the ground connects all three devices, also all the video signal wires connect the computer directly to the LCD bypassing the EDID Spoofer.

Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Daturian wrote:
IT'S ALIVE!!
After programming a 2K EEPROM (24LC02) with the full Enhanced EDID of my screen with the three values set, my 1440p screen is now showing up at 60Hz and as an HDMI connection AND being detected as a Rift screen :woot

I also purchased a couple of 24LCS22 2K EEPROM as well as they are specifically mentioned for E-EDID applications, but I could only get them in surface mount (super tiny!), but luckily the standard 24LC02 in a DIP package worked.

Just have to say it again Will, thanks for posting all the info you have!

Edit:
I've also not included the magnetometer on my circuit as of yet, as you had mentioned that the calibration fails anyway. I'm able to get this set up working up to SDK 0.4.4 but 0.5.0.1 doesn't detect it. I also hooked up the magnetometer (sans the extra wire that needs to be hooked up on pin 9) and still no detection. I'm going to try getting that extra wire hooked up and see if that helps any tonight.

Daturian, what screen are you using? is it LVDS or a MIPI screen? if its Mipi how are you interfacing it to hdmi?

Wed May 27, 2015 2:39 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi Will!

First of all, thanks so much for all you work here! It's been so much fun doing this project with such a great source of documentation.
I have a question concerning the tracker though.
So, I just finished building the tracker, and it works. I didn't buy the HMC5983 chip because seems like it's unnecessary. However, now I am getting some noticeable drifting while playing. Did you find any solution to this or should I just ignore it?

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:35 am
Cross Eyed!

netrum wrote:
Hi Will!

First of all, thanks so much for all you work here! It's been so much fun doing this project with such a great source of documentation.
I have a question concerning the tracker though.
So, I just finished building the tracker, and it works. I didn't buy the HMC5983 chip because seems like it's unnecessary. However, now I am getting some noticeable drifting while playing. Did you find any solution to this or should I just ignore it?

Thanks!

I always get drift with and without HMC5983, and most of the tests I have done shows it not helping much if any, but that’s not to say the HMC5983 wont work for you, the way I test for drift is the old Oculus Configuration Utility v0.2.5, and its Interactive Utility / Settings Viewer it has a nice grid so that you can measure drift, I set the DIY rift on a table, start the Interactive Utility / Settings Viewer then pick up the DIY rift and then set it back down on the table, now I measure the drift, I put the mouse pointer on one of the grid line intersections and start a timer, not the most scientific test but I did not know how else to test, the last time I tested like this with and without the HMC5983 I was only getting a few centimetres drift in 60 seconds, I remember around 2 centimetres, if you are getting a lot more than that give the HMC5983 a try and see if it helps any, also report back if that helps.

I was having trouble getting the older Oculus Configuration Utility v0.2.5 working and had one of the newer Oculus runtimes running, I found out that you need to pause the newer Oculus runtimes's OVRService before the older Oculus Configuration Utility v0.2.5 will work.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:03 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hey all, so the 24lc02 chip arrived, programmed with my custom oculus edit and BAM, Rift DK appears as a monitor!
Huge thanks again to Will for all the hard work he's put into his own Rift and sharing all his work.

When I'm not lazily posting on forums on the couch I will post some photos but first some notes.

The headset is detected in Oculus SDK version 0.5.0.0 and I can complete the magnetic calibration. I haven't measured any drift yet but nothing has been overly noticeable . I haven't tried the latest SDK as of yet.
I am using the hmc5983 but not the same one from Wills post detailing the parts he used with his tracker, I used a GY-281 while Will used a GY-282. I still had to modify Pin 9.

All games and demos I've thrown at it work, including AAAaaaAAA and InmindVR.
Vireio Perception oculustrack plugin works

I'll keep updating this post as I keep testing

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:34 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Okay, I figured it out.

I was using the newest SDK (0.6) which seemed to be the cause of all my problems. Some apps would crash at the very beginning (Sightline The Chair, Tuscany Demo and few others) and judging by the errorlog, seems like the oculusplugin.dll is the cause. I couldn't even get the Direct display mode working and the old v0.3 DK1 only apps were missing headtracking completely.
Now I downgraded to SDK 0.4.4 and everything works perfectly. Direct and legacy apps work with no problems and the whole drifting issue is gone as well!

Srbaude and Will, could you test the newest SDK at some point and see if you are experiencing the same issues?

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:01 pm
Cross Eyed!

netrum wrote:
Okay, I figured it out.

I was using the newest SDK (0.6) which seemed to be the cause of all my problems. Some apps would crash at the very beginning (Sightline The Chair, Tuscany Demo and few others) and judging by the errorlog, seems like the oculusplugin.dll is the cause. I couldn't even get the Direct display mode working and the old v0.3 DK1 only apps were missing headtracking completely.
Now I downgraded to SDK 0.4.4 and everything works perfectly. Direct and legacy apps work with no problems and the whole drifting issue is gone as well!

Srbaude and Will, could you test the newest SDK at some point and see if you are experiencing the same issues?

See my earlier post here

will1384 wrote:
The newer Oculus runtime seems to give some people problems with the DK1, including me, have a look over at:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/34nhb4/updated_to_0501_now_my_pc_cant_detect_my_dk1/

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/357l71/dk1_no_hmd_detected_no_tracker_connected_v0501/

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22361

It mostly gives me problems with stuff that requires the newer Oculus runtime, like Steam VR, I can get older stuff to work, basically if I clone the desktop display or "Duplicate These Displays" the the new Oculus runtime stops recognizing the DK1.

I had to uninstall all the new-er runtimes and go back to 0.4.4, I believe its a matter of them concentrating all the effort on the consumer model right now, I am sure they will fix this later.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:43 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

netrum wrote:
Okay, I figured it out.

I haven't upgraded to 0.6 yet, but 0.5 seems to work fine for me when in extend mode. Im at work at the moment so I cant do any testing for you, and I haven't tried mine in duplicate mode.
I've been meaning to try SteamVR but haven't looked into it much yet, what are the sdk requirements?

Edit: not getting any crashes on 0.6.0.0 but now games wont launch with perception running. Eg. Skyrim I get failed to initialize renderer.

Another Edit: Downgraded back to sdk 0.4.4. Vireio now works except I have to set it to Oculus Rift (All Variants) or the head tracker wont enable. This is fine except the anaglyph 3d also enables (red/green to give the perception of depth) which of course my headset doesn't support. If I set it to DIY Rift Vireio doesn't enable the headtracker. Anyway to turn off the Anaglyph in Vireio when Oculus Rift (All Variants) is set, or enable the headtracker when DIY Rift is enabled? I do prefer the warping done with the Oculus Rift Mode.

Final edit: figured it out, had to disable chromatic aberration. But this was after buying, and being disappointed by, VorpX.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:09 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi guys, great job here!!...I have started recently to mount my own "rift" but I have reached a point with a weird "issue" I cant solve...Im using this diagram :
but for some reason, the pin 17 (ground) is missing :?: ...i cant find the cable for the pin 17 and I have tested ALL with the polimeter...what am I doing wrong??...btw I found the 15 and 16.

Is there something "special" with the pin 17???

Many thanks guys!!

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 am
One Eyed Hopeful

hi all!

thanks for sharing all your efforts with the crowd!!!

I wanted to play steamvr games and also be able to try vorpx with a shield tablet and a Dive 7.
First I tried to fake just the usb device with a teensy but that didn't really work (vr mode option was enabled in steam) and
patching the ovr service seemed to be too much hassle.

So I googled and found yetifrisstlama's blog about a DIY rift and I bought a STM32F3DISCOVERY to mess around with,
which worked a little bit better, but I still had massive problems (I guess I'm too clumsy :D) with spoofing the EDID.
I finally found your thread and ordered two of those little guys, but they still haven't arrived yet, which is why I also ordered
an openpilot board. I could use the discovery board to flash the openpilot board with the dk1 tracker firmware,
gave up on building an EDID spoofer myself and bought an HDMI decoder board from adafruit.
Now I it's running (no tracking with the openpilotboard yet:( ) and even recognized by 0.6 runtime which also almost immediately crashes...
Nonetheless I could play steam vr games and vorpx with 0.5.0.1 via geforce gamestream as server and moonlight as client on a shield tablet (5 ms latency) and a sasmung s4 (22 ms latency).

I'm really curious about how well the tracking works with minimum system development boards. At the moment I'm using ondevice sensorfusion and mouse emulation...

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:33 pm
Cross Eyed!

c3pp0 wrote:
hi all!

thanks for sharing all your efforts with the crowd!!!

I wanted to play steamvr games and also be able to try vorpx with a shield tablet and a Dive 7.
First I tried to fake just the usb device with a teensy but that didn't really work (vr mode option was enabled in steam) and
patching the ovr service seemed to be too much hassle.

So I googled and found yetifrisstlama's blog about a DIY rift and I bought a STM32F3DISCOVERY to mess around with,
which worked a little bit better, but I still had massive problems (I guess I'm too clumsy :D) with spoofing the EDID.
I finally found your thread and ordered two of those little guys, but they still haven't arrived yet, which is why I also ordered
an openpilot board. I could use the discovery board to flash the openpilot board with the dk1 tracker firmware,
gave up on building an EDID spoofer myself and bought an HDMI decoder board from adafruit.
Now I it's running (no tracking with the openpilotboard yet:( ) and even recognized by 0.6 runtime which also almost immediately crashes...
Nonetheless I could play steam vr games and vorpx with 0.5.0.1 via geforce gamestream as server and moonlight as client on a shield tablet (5 ms latency) and a sasmung s4 (22 ms latency).

I'm really curious about how well the tracking works with minimum system development boards. At the moment I'm using ondevice sensorfusion and mouse emulation...

I was never able to use the sensors from the drone/model aircraft board I was testing, the sensors were very close but talked in a different language than the sensors in the real rift tracker, but it was detected by the rift software, I think the programming could have been changed to make it work, but I don't know how to do that.

The tracking with the minimum system development board works very well, but has a slight amount of drift.

I am a little worried about that TFP401 from adafruit, a quote from its web page: "We've used this breakout with 800x480 displays, so we have not specifically tested it with higher resolutions." and you need 1280×720 or more for VR, but if it works report back because it looks lighter and easier to work with than the LCD driver most of us are using.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:12 pm
Cross Eyed!

watermanpc wrote:
Hi guys, great job here!!...I have started recently to mount my own "rift" but I have reached a point with a weird "issue" I cant solve...Im using this diagram :
but for some reason, the pin 17 (ground) is missing :?: ...i cant find the cable for the pin 17 and I have tested ALL with the polimeter...what am I doing wrong??...btw I found the 15 and 16.

Many thanks guys!!

It may be a cheap cable, and they may not have an extra wire for ground, so you may have to use the shield wire.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:17 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

will1384 wrote:
watermanpc wrote:

Many thanks guys!!

It may be a cheap cable, and they may not have an extra wire for ground, so you may have to use the shield wire.

many thanks for the reply mate!1...the cable is cheap yes, but I dont understand what you mean with "...you may have to use the shield wire..."...my english is very limited could you tell me exactly whats the "shield wire"...btw I have tried using as the ground cable one which doesnt have any shield (a very thin one without any covering) but the spoofer dont work so maybe thats not the ground neither...

Many thanks!!

EDIT: Ok, finally it works, in my case the thin uncovered wire was the ground one...tested again and it worked!!...many thanks mates!!

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:36 am
Cross Eyed!

watermanpc wrote:

many thanks for the reply mate!1...the cable is cheap yes, but I dont understand what you mean with "...you may have to use the shield wire..."...my english is very limited could you tell me exactly whats the "shield wire"...btw I have tried using as the ground cable one which doesnt have any shield (a very thin one without any covering) but the spoofer dont work so maybe thats not the ground neither...

Many thanks!!

The shield wire connects the metal housing ends of the cable, and is likely a bunch of bare wire, Googling "shield wire" will show some pictures, also have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:27 am
One Eyed Hopeful

will1384 wrote:
watermanpc wrote:

Many thanks!!

The shield wire connects the metal housing ends of the cable, and is likely a bunch of bare wire, Googling "shield wire" will show some pictures, also have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable

Many, many thanks mate!!, now its clear, everything is working now!!... :D

Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:05 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

ok, Now I´m working on the lens.
I bought these: http://www.ebay.es/itm/151215824923?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
but I can´t do the images converge right :cry: :cry:

Any help??

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:47 am
Cross Eyed!

watermanpc wrote:
I bought these: http://www.ebay.es/itm/151215824923?_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any help??

You may have to get better lenses, those look like they may not work all that well, get something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-pocket-loupe ... 1148139033

they are thick and heavy duty lenses but with very little distortion, and are also just about as scratch resistant as my prescription eyeglasses with plastic lenses, the 5x pocket loupe lenses focus at about 2 inches or 50.8 millimeters or 5.08 centimeters.

Have a look over here for info on lenses:

https://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/Lenses

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:38 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

will1384 wrote:
watermanpc wrote:

Any help??

You may have to get better lenses, those look like they may not work all that well, get something like this:

they are thick and heavy duty lenses but with very little distortion, and are also just about as scratch resistant as my prescription eyeglasses with plastic lenses, the 5x pocket loupe lenses focus at about 2 inches or 50.8 millimeters or 5.08 centimeters.

ok Will, Im gonna buy those lenses as you said because yes, it looks like the ones I have now are the problem...its like they need too much distance to focus and so I have to move away too much from the screen...i will come back here as soon as I get the new lenses...meanwhile (which is gonna be a long time as I leve in Spain :| ) I want to thank you A LOT all your effort here man!!! that would not be possible without you!!! many, many thanks mate!! ;)

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:24 am
Cross Eyed!

watermanpc wrote:
will1384 wrote:
watermanpc wrote:

Any help??

ok Will, Im gonna buy those lenses as you said because yes, it looks like the ones I have now are the problem...its like they need too much distance to focus and so I have to move away too much from the screen...i will come back here as soon as I get the new lenses...meanwhile (which is gonna be a long time as I leve in Spain :| ) I want to thank you A LOT all your effort here man!!! that would not be possible without you!!! many, many thanks mate!! ;)

The lenses I talked about are not perfect, and are more costly than I like, but they are good quality, they focus close to the LCD, and are large in diameter, I have not had any big problems using them, except for the fact that I use eye glasses for nearsightedness and without my glasses my eyes are have to be very close to the lenses, enough that my eyelashes sometime touch the lenses, but its not enough to cause problems for me, but just be aware of possible problems if you use glasses, also none of the DIY designs I have seen will work with glasses.

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

finishing my Project, thanks will!

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi all!

Just wanted to share my experiences, for the benefit of anyone trying a DIY HMD. I've been designing and building a google cardboard style headset for about the past year and thought it would be cool to have a little computer strap on the side that would work with steam/oculus runtime.

I had the same idea as C3po above of using a CC3D, because of it's attractive price, small size and sports a MPU6000 gyro as does the DK1.

I'm not an electronics engineer or programmer myself, but since if successful a device like this would add value to my HMD product, I didn't mind shelling out a bit. I was lucky to have the pleasure to work with a very skilled lad in China with a background working on and designing flight control boards.

Unfortunately we've had to call it a day today, although we had the board working with tracking on Oculus 3.2 we realized we had made a major oversight underestimating the importance of the Mag, as without it you get major drift issues.

I think getting the board to work with later Oculus runtimes would be fairly trivial, the biggest issue in getting tracking together at all was writing custom firmware for the different CPU.

In hindsight we probably could have made a success of the project had we used a Aeroquad32, CC3D revolution or AduIMU board. Since these boards have price tags starting at $60 each, it's not worth me pursuing the project. Still interested in trying again, but with the release of OSVR around the corner I'll wait to see what that brings rather than trying to get something working with the relatively dated DK1.

As for the EDID spoofer, I found a much simpler solution for about $14. I wrote an email to a guy on ebay selling EDID Dummy plugs and asked if he'd mind uploading a custom file (found a few pages back on this thread).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-dummy-pl ... 1726638819

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Anyone updated to Oculus Runtime 0.7 yet?
My HMD has stopped working in 0.7, When I run the OVR Server manually (Stop the Service in Windows Services MMC and run from c:\Program Files\Oculus\Service I can see the service try to connect to the HMD but then drop the connection straight away. Could it be that Oculus are now blocking the very generic Serial number programmed into the firmware?

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 pm
Cross Eyed!

srbaude wrote:
My HMD has stopped working in 0.7, When I run the OVR Server manually (Stop the Service in Windows Services MMC and run from c:\Program Files\Oculus\Service I can see the service try to connect to the HMD but then drop the connection straight away. Could it be that Oculus are now blocking the very generic Serial number programmed into the firmware?

From everything I have been hearing and seeing the DK1 is no longer supported, maybe someday they will fix the runtime to work with the DK1, it is nice however that most of the DK1 demos will work without the runtime or SDK, and the DK1 even works with Windows 10 without having to manually install drivers.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:40 pm
Cross Eyed!

will1384 wrote:
srbaude wrote:

From everything I have been hearing and seeing the DK1 is no longer supported, maybe someday they will fix the runtime to work with the DK1, it is nice however that most of the DK1 demos will work without the runtime or SDK, and the DK1 even works with Windows 10 without having to manually install drivers.

I tried the "Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.8.0.0-beta" on Windows 10 and the DK1 does seem to be working for some of the new-er games, I also tried "Oculus Runtime for Windows 0.6.0.1-beta" on Windows 10, and it just kept crashing.

Titans of Space, SightLine: The Chair, work as do a few others, but but "AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome" does not work, and Steam VR seems to start but wants to set up the hand controllers that I don't have.

It seems like Windows 10, "Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.8.0.0-beta", and maybe new-er Nvidia drivers have fixed most of the problems.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next