It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Compact 180 deg fov HMD's still possible? 
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

A little OT, but its interesting to see that 3d printing apparently is now a viable way of creating lenses, as in

http://www.luxexcel.com/

or

http://www.edmundoptics.com/products/se ... ed-optics/

If lenses can be done, I wonder if custom mirrors can also be created now using 3d printing type methods?

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:33 pm
Cross Eyed!

Subject: Compact 180 deg fov HMD's still possible?

WiredEarp wrote:
A little OT, but its interesting to see that 3d printing apparently is now a viable way of creating lenses, as in

http://www.luxexcel.com/

or

http://www.edmundoptics.com/products/se ... ed-optics/

If lenses can be done, I wonder if custom mirrors can also be created now using 3d printing type methods?

Hello WiredEarp,

It is kind to send this information but I had just enough money to buy blocks of acrylic of 2 inches thick and other stuff like a powerfull router with the cutting tools. Hopefully, I could show the final result if the machine is ready to use. The machine that I've been using until now was extremely rude for fine machining and I could not have the proper optical result, there was too much vibration from this wooden machine. Wood is not so stable.

About Edmund-optics: I usually buy from EO but for custom build I have to pay the price! ... And if it is not the optics that you really want ...... :cry:

I'll keep it up to date
;)

HMD:
SONY HMZ-T1
FOV: 40° diagonal

HMD project:
FOV: >180°

Link: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14332

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:27 pm
Cross Eyed!

piecutter wrote:
Very interesting. Seems we've been following a similar path, you and I. Only I began physically testing with Microvision laser projector, but found them too bright! And also added bulk that the original plan was meant to do away with, so now I'm back to using micro displays out of an HMZ. I'm looking into fixing the brightness problem by overdriving them and using a more efficient heatsink than the ones they came with, which shouldn't be to hard as the originals barely do anything. I'm actually 3D printing bezels to hold the displays and heatsinks now.
Also on the to do list, extensions for the ribbon cables (any input appreciated) and a more open source driver board, if possible. Going to need a little help figuring out that one, as I'm a few notches below EE status.
The long term plan is to have a proof of concept with this and then reiterate with the Sony 1080p displays of the same size. They're a bit more difficult to lay hands on as you can't just cheaply buy something off the shelf and pull them out of it, but I have a source that's willing if I pony up for more than I need. Maybe a group purchase if I can find enough interest.
Hope to hear something good from your latest grinding endeavor!

Thanks,

I'll keep it up to date
;)

HMD:
SONY HMZ-T1

HMD project:

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:28 pm
Cross Eyed!

new link,

For the lenses, putting optical manifacturing to another level: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23416&p=165987#p165987

HMD:
SONY HMZ-T1

HMD project:

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3