It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm



Reply to topic  [ 1934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 49  Next
 Minecrift Discussion Thread 
Author Message
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 am
Posts: 23
Reply with quote
Rirath wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Mystify wrote:
I'd like to see hydra integration so you can point it at whatever block you want and hit a button, regardless of where you are looking. That way you could just point it straight up or down, dig to the side while you look around, etc.


Hang on about a month.


I'm so glad to hear you say that - Hydra support would make this for me.
Thanks for all your hard work; following with great interest.


Haha, I'd love to see a realistic hydra mode where you have to move your arm like a pickaxe back and forth to break blocks, just to see how long people would last before throwing their controllers on the floor :lol: But seriously, hydra support would be a plus.


Fri May 17, 2013 5:35 am
Profile
Certif-Eyed!

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 645
Reply with quote
I could see swinging to attack working out, but not swing to mine.


Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm
Posts: 32
Reply with quote
Hey guys, sorry to repeat myself, but my post seems to have gotten lost on the last page.
Stella, what units is IPD measured in and is there an easy way to align it without a measurement?
I searched this entire thread but couldn't find a word on IPD.


Fri May 17, 2013 2:54 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
AllOfTheApples! wrote:
Hey guys, sorry to repeat myself, but my post seems to have gotten lost on the last page.
Stella, what units is IPD measured in and is there an easy way to align it without a measurement?
I searched this entire thread but couldn't find a word on IPD.


Sorry AllOfTheApples!, meant to respond! IPD is in metres, until the last build, where I now display it as mm in the debug console. No calibration util as yet, sorry.


Fri May 17, 2013 3:16 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm
Posts: 32
Reply with quote
StellaArtois wrote:
Sorry AllOfTheApples!, meant to respond! IPD is in metres, until the last build, where I now display it as mm in the debug console. No calibration util as yet, sorry.


Thanks so much for answering my question and for doing this project in general! Just 3-5 weeks until I can try this with my Oculus and my omni! :woot :geek:


Fri May 17, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:26 am
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Great work! Question though, how does one turn it off to play normally, without wearing the Oculus? #rookie


Sat May 18, 2013 3:17 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
bodyboarding_bum wrote:
Great work! Question though, how does one turn it off to play normally, without wearing the Oculus? #rookie


I'm afraid you don't for now!


Sat May 18, 2013 3:54 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm
Posts: 154
Reply with quote
StellaArtois wrote:
bodyboarding_bum wrote:
Great work! Question though, how does one turn it off to play normally, without wearing the Oculus? #rookie


I'm afraid you don't for now!


You can't switch while playing but you can make a copy of your minecraft.jar before modifying it and just swap between the moded and in moded file. (If I understood your question)


Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Next version!

0.24 Alpha 18-05-13
===================
- The HUD is now completely fixed to head orientation to make it slightly more readable.
- Implemented Full Scene Anti-aliasing support (FSAA). Be WARNED! This is a resource hog! Use Ctrl-B to toggle on/off. Use Ctrl-Alt B to cycle through FSAA scale factors.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=17489&p=124997#p124997

I still need to get the Mip-mapping added at some point, but the FSAA definitely helps on my system. I can generally run it at ~60FPS at 1280X800, with 3.0XFSAA on my GTX 580 3Gb. However 2.0XFSAA is definitely smoother. 4.0X is insane but chuggy! :-)


Sat May 18, 2013 10:13 am
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
Hey Stella,

I just noticed that maps are not readable when using your mod.
Could you please try to get them to work with your mod?

-Marulu

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Reply with quote
bodyboarding_bum wrote:
Great work! Question though, how does one turn it off to play normally, without wearing the Oculus? #rookie


I'd recommend downloading minecraft launcher, which lets you switch between different jar files easily. Or just rename the minecraft.jar


Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Marulu wrote:
Hey Stella,

I just noticed that maps are not readable when using your mod.
Could you please try to get them to work with your mod?

-Marulu


I'm a real Minecraft n00b, sorry. How do you bring up / use maps?


Sat May 18, 2013 10:37 am
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
You just select the map like you would with any other weapon and look down to take a look at it.
The reason the map doesn´t show up is because you are using a player model and not the regular arm model.

EDIT: The fastest way to fix this would be to only render the regular arms when the map item is selected.

The Picture below shows how the map is supposed to look.
Image

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Sat May 18, 2013 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Marulu wrote:
You just select the map like you would with any other weapon and look down to take a look at it.
The reason the map doesn´t show up is because you are using a player model and not the regular arm model.

EDIT: The fastest way to fix this would be only to render the regular arms when the map item is selected.

The Picture below shows how the map is supposed to look.
Image


Ahah ok I see. Hmm, that may be tricky!


Sat May 18, 2013 10:45 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Reply with quote
StellaArtois, what is on your list of stuff to get done, now that you have a new release out and a rift to test yourself?


Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 pm
Posts: 4
Reply with quote
So what's it like playing minecraft with the rift? I'm about to preorder mine and I can't wait. Being an active minecraft player.


Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
mrklaw wrote:
StellaArtois, what is on your list of stuff to get done, now that you have a new release out and a rift to test yourself?


I'd say (feel free to add to this / agree / disagree):

- Start to add different controls schemes, as per HL2 / TF2. Mixed in with game controller support. Interested to see how that will pan out TBH.
- Continue to refine the HUD to ensure readability. Depth dependent crosshair if I can work out how.
- Add a GUI menu for all the settings I've added. Trying to find the buttons to press is near impossible without lifting the rift up.
- Sort mipmapping, because it affects image quality. However some mods out there seem to have got to a reasonable implementation only after a number of iterations. That may have to wait.
- Investigate Razor Hydra support.
- Fix existing bugs with GUI display.


Sat May 18, 2013 12:50 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
Sorry for asking again (I know it's been brought up a few times), but is Forge support anywhere on the road map at this point?

Also, I am getting a crash on launch with v24:

Oculus Rift Device Interface created.
Oculus Rift Device Interface initialized.
DisplayDeviceName:
ProductName: Oculus Rift DK1
Manufacturer: Oculus VR
Version: (null)
HResolution: 1280
VResolution: 800
HScreenSize: 0.149760
VScreenSize: 0.093600
VScreenCenter: 0.046800
EyeToScreenDistance: 0.041000
LensSeparationDistance: 0.063500
InterpupillaryDistance: 0.064000
DistortionK[0]: 1.000000
DistortionK[1]: 0.220000
DistortionK[2]: 0.240000
Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: de.f
ruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._getChromaAbCorrection0()F
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._getChromaAbCorrection0(Native Method)
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift.init(OculusRift.java:92)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:356)
at avv.a(SourceFile:56)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:664)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)


Sat May 18, 2013 12:56 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Jademalo wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Thanks Jade! I got lucky!

To be honest, I really want to use Minecrift as a 'test-bed' of sorts for what works, and what doesn't work in the VR environment. I definitely want to experiment with different control schemes. Detached head movement is one to try. However I'm already finding myself liking the 'head-direction-is-movement'. It may be a neck workout, but as soon as I touch the mouse currently, I start getting queasy... Give me a few days until I get my 'VR legs', and that opinion may change!

Oh, and I tried the mouse pitch setting that inthelittlewood requested - that was an instant trip to barfville for me! The guys a freak! ;-)


I don't think making something like this and getting rewarded constitutes as luck, you deserve it! =p

If it was me attempting to do the mod, I personally would start out by flat copying the 7 modes that Valve have implemented for TF2, and work from there. They seem to have a lot of good, varied options and mode 3(?) I think is the best solution at present. Obviously though that would be a ton of work, but it would probably give you a nice base to tweak and experiment, while pleasing all different types of people who like different modes.
If I was making my own mode, I would Keep movement direction based on head pointing, with the detatched "keyhole" mouse. When you go to the sides of the screen, your whole body + camera is rotated, so forward movement is altered to the centre of your current vision. Vertical would be totally fixed to your head and couldn't be adjusted by the mouse, keeping the horizon level. Obviously the keyhole means you can still aim up and down, but it keeps you from a ton of motion sickness. (I think this is how mode 3 operates, but I'm not 100% sure)
That's just what I would do though, and It's obviously up you how you do it =p. I wish I could do something to help, I hate feeling so useless! I just don't have the functional knowledge to be able to do anything =[

Also, I asked him about that on Reddit, and he said he never suffered from any motion sickness at all. It's insane, and he's so damn lucky!


Sounds a good mode to have, going to start playing around with the HL2 modes now I've got some time this weekend to look at that! Like your suggested control scheme. I definitely want to try a similar scheme, except direction of travel is not linked to head movement.

How the hell inthelittlewood gets away with it I don't know. Vaecon had the right idea - get some motion sickness pills...


Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
n8chur wrote:
Sorry for asking again (I know it's been brought up a few times), but is Forge support anywhere on the road map at this point?

Also, I am getting a crash on launch with v24:

Oculus Rift Device Interface created.
Oculus Rift Device Interface initialized.
DisplayDeviceName:
ProductName: Oculus Rift DK1
Manufacturer: Oculus VR
Version: (null)
HResolution: 1280
VResolution: 800
HScreenSize: 0.149760
VScreenSize: 0.093600
VScreenCenter: 0.046800
EyeToScreenDistance: 0.041000
LensSeparationDistance: 0.063500
InterpupillaryDistance: 0.064000
DistortionK[0]: 1.000000
DistortionK[1]: 0.220000
DistortionK[2]: 0.240000
Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: de.f
ruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._getChromaAbCorrection0()F
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._getChromaAbCorrection0(Native Method)
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift.init(OculusRift.java:92)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:356)
at avv.a(SourceFile:56)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:664)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)


If I get the time, maybe some mod compatibility will go in, but I'll be honest, it's not high on my priority list currently.

Hmmm, are you upgrading from before 0.23? Have you copied over the new JRiftlibrary dlls?


Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Edit: screw up!


Sat May 18, 2013 1:23 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
I am wondering if there is a way to manually (typing the number) set the IPD for this mod?

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Sat May 18, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Marulu wrote:
I am wondering if there is a way to manually (typing the number) set the IPD for this mod?


Only by manually editing the minecraft ini file, wherever that resides.


Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
StellaArtois wrote:
Marulu wrote:
I am wondering if there is a way to manually (typing the number) set the IPD for this mod?


Only by manually editing the minecraft ini file, wherever that resides.


Thanks, I am going to look into that.

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Marulu wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Marulu wrote:
I am wondering if there is a way to manually (typing the number) set the IPD for this mod?


Only by manually editing the minecraft ini file, wherever that resides.


Thanks, I am going to look into that.


Pardon me if you already know this, but I'm assuming you know you can alter the IPD via Ctrl -/=' or Ctrl-Alt -/= for finer adjustment?


Sat May 18, 2013 2:31 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
StellaArtois wrote:
Pardon me if you already know this, but I'm assuming you know you can alter the IPD via Ctrl -/=' or Ctrl-Alt -/= for finer adjustment?


I am aware of this, but adjusting this for every alpha release would be a pain, that's why I want to do it manually.

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
Hey guys,
I'm curious as to what kind of FPS you're getting on it?
I'm yet to get my rift, but ive been setting it all up and seem to be barely holding a steady 60FPS (fluctuating between 55-60 atm), but i'm running with a 7950 and i5-3470. Any clues guys?


Sat May 18, 2013 8:37 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 am
Posts: 26
Reply with quote
AdaQmmm wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm curious as to what kind of FPS you're getting on it?
I'm yet to get my rift, but ive been setting it all up and seem to be barely holding a steady 60FPS (fluctuating between 55-60 atm), but i'm running with a 7950 and i5-3470. Any clues guys?


Have you tried the usual suspects? 64-bit Java check? View distance? Those two alone make a big difference. If your current view distance works fine without the rift mod, try lowering it a bit with the rift mod, and see what happens.


Sat May 18, 2013 9:12 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
Looks as though its 32bit Java, but i changed the view distance and it seems to keep a steady 59-62fps in Rift mode now! :)


Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
StellaArtois wrote:
n8chur wrote:
Sorry for asking again (I know it's been brought up a few times), but is Forge support anywhere on the road map at this point?

Also, I am getting a crash on launch with v24:

Oculus Rift Device Interface created.
Oculus Rift Device Interface initialized.
DisplayDeviceName:
ProductName: Oculus Rift DK1
Manufacturer: Oculus VR
Version: (null)
HResolution: 1280
VResolution: 800
HScreenSize: 0.149760
VScreenSize: 0.093600
VScreenCenter: 0.046800
EyeToScreenDistance: 0.041000
LensSeparationDistance: 0.063500
InterpupillaryDistance: 0.064000
DistortionK[0]: 1.000000
DistortionK[1]: 0.220000
DistortionK[2]: 0.240000
Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: de.f
ruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._getChromaAbCorrection0()F
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift._getChromaAbCorrection0(Native Method)
at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift.init(OculusRift.java:92)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:356)
at avv.a(SourceFile:56)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:664)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)


If I get the time, maybe some mod compatibility will go in, but I'll be honest, it's not high on my priority list currently.

Hmmm, are you upgrading from before 0.23? Have you copied over the new JRiftlibrary dlls?


Oops! Forgot that I put the JRiftlibrary dlls in my system32 directory. Deleting those (and keeping the new ones in the /natives directory) solved my problem. Thanks!


Sat May 18, 2013 10:19 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Marulu wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Pardon me if you already know this, but I'm assuming you know you can alter the IPD via Ctrl -/=' or Ctrl-Alt -/= for finer adjustment?


I am aware of this, but adjusting this for every alpha release would be a pain, that's why I want to do it manually.


Is it not just saving the settings?


Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 43
Reply with quote
Hey guys I am having an issue with the installer. I have installed both x86 and x64 Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 and after I launch the installer as an admin. the installer stops and and in the windows where you can see the install happening I get: Checking for VCREDIST2012x86..
ERR: Exception Cought:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at MinecraftOculusInstaller.Form1.checkForVCRedist()
at MinecraftOculusInstaller.Form1.btnInstall_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I have as far as I know had successfully installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of the Visual Studio 2012 Redist. as when I try to re-install it gives me the option to repair or un-install. I have chosen to repair and I still get this message. Also I would like to know if there are any other steps involved with using the installer method. I started installing it manually but some of the directions in the readme included with the mod were a little confusing. It was this step that had me confused: **** VERY IMPORTANT **** Go to the My Computer icon, right click, select properties. Go to advanced system settings, Environment variables. Edit the system path to add the directory <Path to %APPDATA%>\.minecraft\bin\natives, so that the JRiftLibrary dlls can be found. If you don't do this, Minecraft will just show a black screen on startup! Reading the highlightred text I was unclear where to add that line. Is it in the User Varialbes for *username* or System Variables windows? It doesn't specify so I kinda stopped there. Any help with this would be great guys! Thanks. Oh I thought I would add that I don't yet have my Rift (I should be getting it this upcomming week, this is why I am starting to get my Oculus demos and software ready!) and I was wondering if that could have anything to do with these errors. Thanks Again!


Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 436
Location: UK
Reply with quote
KingK76 wrote:
Hey guys I am having an issue with the installer. I have installed both x86 and x64 Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 and after I launch the installer as an admin. the installer stops and and in the windows where you can see the install happening I get: Checking for VCREDIST2012x86..
ERR: Exception Cought:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at MinecraftOculusInstaller.Form1.checkForVCRedist()
at MinecraftOculusInstaller.Form1.btnInstall_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I have as far as I know had successfully installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of the Visual Studio 2012 Redist. as when I try to re-install it gives me the option to repair or un-install. I have chosen to repair and I still get this message. Also I would like to know if there are any other steps involved with using the installer method. I started installing it manually but some of the directions in the readme included with the mod were a little confusing. It was this step that had me confused: **** VERY IMPORTANT **** Go to the My Computer icon, right click, select properties. Go to advanced system settings, Environment variables. Edit the system path to add the directory <Path to %APPDATA%>\.minecraft\bin\natives, so that the JRiftLibrary dlls can be found. If you don't do this, Minecraft will just show a black screen on startup! Reading the highlightred text I was unclear where to add that line. Is it in the User Varialbes for *username* or System Variables windows? It doesn't specify so I kinda stopped there. Any help with this would be great guys! Thanks. Oh I thought I would add that I don't yet have my Rift (I should be getting it this upcomming week, this is why I am starting to get my Oculus demos and software ready!) and I was wondering if that could have anything to do with these errors. Thanks Again!


I can't comment on the issues with the installer, however for the path variable, you can edit the system path variable, not the user one. However, I would simply try adding the dlls to the windows\system32 directory first, see if that works. If you do edit the system path, you may need to reboot for the changes to 'stick'.

No rift required to get it up and running, but what a difference if you do! :-)


Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Reply with quote
AdaQmmm wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm curious as to what kind of FPS you're getting on it?
I'm yet to get my rift, but ive been setting it all up and seem to be barely holding a steady 60FPS (fluctuating between 55-60 atm), but i'm running with a 7950 and i5-3470. Any clues guys?



What were you getting in normal minecraft? My setup is similar (i5-3570 and 7950)

Do you have any frame rate limiters lithe minecraft settings? I used to run mine on balanced which limits the framerate otherwise I was getting. It's also possible that the game isn't putting enough strain on the 7950 and it is just idling.
The new version StellaArtois just released might be good - try turning on 2xAA which might kick the 7950 up the ass and get it to do some work for a change :)


Edit:
On normal vanilla minecraft, maximised window, 1920x1080, I get about 250 FPS at normal view distance, and 180fps at far view distance. (set to max fps in video settings - normal day to day use I have it on 'balanced')

If I run optifine at the same res, with max mipmap, 16xAF, and 2xAA I get 120 FPS

Running StellaArtois latest version, I get
(1920x1080 maximised window) :
Far distance, FSAA 2x - 58fps
Normal distance, FSAA 2x - 60fps

Desktop set to 1280x800, fullscreen:
Far distance, FSAA 2x - 90fps
Normal, FSAA 2x - 95 FPS


Rain is a killer, drops me down to about 65fps

FSAA 2x is a big improvement I think - thanks for putting in in StellaArtois.


Sun May 19, 2013 1:12 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 3:09 am
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
Ouch, the world FOV is way way WAAY too low for me... The menu is perfect and only has a little bit of extra room around it on the top and bottom (but I can't see the corners of the background fader), but then a single block opening is almost just as wide as the entire visible screen when I'm standing two blocks away? @@; It makes the mouse sensitivity I normally use seem ludicrous as I'm SO zoomed into the closest wall I can't see anything else...

Most Rift supporting games use a FOV of 110 or so right? but I think the actual problem here might be that the visible screen is a lot smaller than the actual screen, and a LOT of the edges are getting lost because I just can't see THAT much of the screen.

Edit:
It's more playable when I set the sensitivity down to 25% and switch from using two displays to just fullscreen 1280x800 desktop, but I still want the FOV option working again... @@; My shoulders keep flying into view too, so I really want the camera offset forward a bit, while the FOV is zoomed out so everything looks nice...

Also whenever you die, the game over screen doesn't pop up on its own. Press esc to open the menu and close it again, then it pops up.


Sun May 19, 2013 4:15 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
mrklaw wrote:
AdaQmmm wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm curious as to what kind of FPS you're getting on it?
I'm yet to get my rift, but ive been setting it all up and seem to be barely holding a steady 60FPS (fluctuating between 55-60 atm), but i'm running with a 7950 and i5-3470. Any clues guys?



What were you getting in normal minecraft? My setup is similar (i5-3570 and 7950)

Do you have any frame rate limiters lithe minecraft settings? I used to run mine on balanced which limits the framerate otherwise I was getting. It's also possible that the game isn't putting enough strain on the 7950 and it is just idling.
The new version StellaArtois just released might be good - try turning on 2xAA which might kick the 7950 up the ass and get it to do some work for a change :)


Edit:
On normal vanilla minecraft, maximised window, 1920x1080, I get about 250 FPS at normal view distance, and 180fps at far view distance. (set to max fps in video settings - normal day to day use I have it on 'balanced')

If I run optifine at the same res, with max mipmap, 16xAF, and 2xAA I get 120 FPS

Running StellaArtois latest version, I get
(1920x1080 maximised window) :
Far distance, FSAA 2x - 58fps
Normal distance, FSAA 2x - 60fps

Desktop set to 1280x800, fullscreen:
Far distance, FSAA 2x - 90fps
Normal, FSAA 2x - 95 FPS


Rain is a killer, drops me down to about 65fps

FSAA 2x is a big improvement I think - thanks for putting in in StellaArtois.



Yeah for some reason i just relogged on and now i'm getting about the same as you are haha


Sun May 19, 2013 5:20 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Reply with quote
How are people setting up their rifts as displays? Are you setting the desktop to 1280x800, running the rift as a secondary monitor, or something else?


Sun May 19, 2013 5:51 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 3:09 am
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
mrklaw wrote:
How are people setting up their rifts as displays? Are you setting the desktop to 1280x800, running the rift as a secondary monitor, or something else?

It depends. Valve games seem to intend for you to run the rift as an extended desktop monitor, so VR TF2 will always launch in a 1280x800 window that tries to find the right monitor to put itself on, while most (if not all) of the Unity demos require you set the Rift to duplicate your desktop and set it to fullscreen mode. Dragging the Minecraft window into the Rift's desktop space and doing a windowed maximize of it works, but pressing F11 to fullscreen it will only work if you set the Rift and Desktop to use the same display, since it goes to the primary screen.


Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 20
Reply with quote
mrklaw wrote:
How are people setting up their rifts as displays? Are you setting the desktop to 1280x800, running the rift as a secondary monitor, or something else?


I have 2 x GTX 580's in sli. My Rift just duplicates my main desktop at 1920 x 1080. When I play Minecraft it just scales down anyway, so no need to alter my desktop resolution. I can then see stereo on my screen as well as on the Rift of course.


Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Reply with quote
anthonyp461 wrote:
mrklaw wrote:
How are people setting up their rifts as displays? Are you setting the desktop to 1280x800, running the rift as a secondary monitor, or something else?


I have 2 x GTX 580's in sli. My Rift just duplicates my main desktop at 1920 x 1080. When I play Minecraft it just scales down anyway, so no need to alter my desktop resolution. I can then see stereo on my screen as well as on the Rift of course.



Thanks (and thanks JTE)

Have you tried the latest version with AA built in? I'd be curious about your impressions on image quality comparing natural downsamplimg by running the desktop at 1080p and letting the rift scale it down, vs running the desktop at 1280x800 and adding 2x FSAA in the client, vs running at 1080p *and* 2x AA

You don't have any issues with 1920x1080 being a different aspect ratio to the rift screen at 1280x800?


Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 49  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.