It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 1934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 49  Next
 Minecrift Discussion Thread 
Cross Eyed!

Mystify wrote:
I'd like to see hydra integration so you can point it at whatever block you want and hit a button, regardless of where you are looking. That way you could just point it straight up or down, dig to the side while you look around, etc.

yea i second this! Would be cool to implement Joystick support too for analog movement speed. As it is now I can use an xbox or Hydra but the im either standing still or running, would be nice to move at a speed according to how far I've pushed the joystick, I know you can sneak to move slow (and not fall off a block) but would be cool to have analog movement nonetheless.

I think a cool control scheme for the mouse would be one similar to World of Warcraft. So your mouse wouldn't rotate your body or alter your view, just move the cursor within your current field of view, but then you hold down the right mouse button and then the cursor will lock to centre of your view, and turn your body and you could use your head to aim. Might be better than a 'hit zone' box (TF2 style) I think, especially for menus and such

Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Mystify wrote:
I'd like to see hydra integration so you can point it at whatever block you want and hit a button, regardless of where you are looking. That way you could just point it straight up or down, dig to the side while you look around, etc.

Hang on about a month.

Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hey! Great stuff! Minecraft integration is what I was most excited for.
I have a question for you, though.
What is IPD measured in? I noticed the default was a fraction of a whole and found that interesting.
THANKS!

Mon May 13, 2013 6:50 pm
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

It keeps getting better with every release, Stella! The UI looks great; the hotbar is just perfect now. The roll problem is fixed. And I'm very, very glad for the crosshair.

A few bugs -
Pumpkinblur is broken (see attached)
There appears to be a thin white line near the top of my vision (also see attached)
Upon dying, the respawn/title screen menu doesn't show up until I either press escape twice or open and close my inventory.
At very close ranges, the crosshair is a bit off. Also, the actual hit point seems to only apply to the left crosshair - it should probably be centered between the two.
When the inventory or game menu screens are open, there's a large grey box behind them. Is there a way to get rid of that? It'd be useful to be able to look around and watch for ambushes while I'm crafting something.

I think that's about all I can remember at the moment. It's really fantastic though, you're doing an awesome job!

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. You'll notice this when you get your Rift, but looking straight up at a block above or straight down to pillar up is really hard to do. I'd like to see a setting that scales the pitch a bit so that when you're looking about 80% up in real life, it's 100% in the game. Same with down. It's actually difficult to look completely down because your body gets in the way. :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Dycus on Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Dycus wrote:
At very close ranges, the crosshair is a bit off. Also, the actual hit point seems to only apply to the left crosshair - it should probably be centered between the two.

The problem with stereoscopy is that wherever you put it it will only be correct for a specific distance.

Dycus wrote:
When the inventory or game menu screens are open, there's a large grey box behind them. Is there a way to get rid of that? It'd be useful to be able to look around and watch for ambushes while I'm crafting something.

I second this. :)

Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

the latest version of the installer has trouble checking for VCREDIST2012x86.
i have installed all the neccasary programs and followed the instructions

ignore this post it was simple human error and has been fixed i simply didnt run minecrift through the debug process.
ps great work and keep it up :woot

Tue May 14, 2013 4:48 am

Hey Stella, glad to hear about your Rift! I ordered in March, so It's giong to be forever before I can properly try this mod =[

I have a question that a couple of people have touched on already - are you planning on attempting a detached mouse like the current source engine implementation? (As an aside - that would also double as Hydra support since the main requirement of Hydra integration is detached mouse since the Hydra normally just Hijacks the mouse.)
Obviously this would make the game almost perfect on the rift, the fact that the mouse is attached to your head is pretty much the only complaint I've seen for Vireio games.
The only thing that I will point out to remember is that with the rift, the hot spots should only be on the sides and not up/down. The locked Y axis that Martyn had issues with is a brilliant addition imo, it will seriously help motion sickness for a lot of people due to the Horizon always being in line with your inner ear. I actually have a mouse setting to severely dampen Y axis movement for use during Vireio games - having that implemented is very convenient. I do agree this should be a toggle as well though, since obviously some people with iron stomachs will want it.

Anyway, fingers crossed I get my rift pretty soon, I'd love to be able to do some sort of bug/playtesting to help you out because this honestly is absolutely fantastic.
Keep up the fantastic work, hope something good comes of this for you, you deserve it!

On another note, I've added a download link to the OP and changed the thread title. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner >_<

Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

vanti wrote:
Dycus wrote:

The problem with stereoscopy is that wherever you put it it will only be correct for a specific distance.

Which eye people aim with is typically dependent on whether they are right or left handed. Most people would try to use the right crosshairs for aiming. Perhaps a setting should be implemented that switches between the two?

Tue May 14, 2013 4:13 pm
Cross Eyed!

kenman884 wrote:
vanti wrote:
Dycus wrote:

Which eye people aim with is typically dependent on whether they are right or left handed. Most people would try to use the right crosshairs for aiming. Perhaps a setting should be implemented that switches between the two?

One solution to this is to this problem is to render the crosshair at whatever depth the closet visible object is it points at. Very much like the dot of a laser pointer. This is the approach valve uses in their VR implementations.

So when you aim at a block in minecraft the crosshair appears as if its right on the surface of that block.

Tue May 14, 2013 5:07 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

A minor bug: experience orbs do not appear to be visible in either eye.

Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Is there any chance that you could create a version that supports Forge? I would love to use Minecrift with a few of my favorite mods!

Thanks again for the great work!

Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Guys, apologies for the radio silence again. However this time I believe I had a small excuse: :woot

Attachment:
Whoohoo.jpg

I'll post up my first impressions in the first impressions thread soon. However, what can I say, other than it is totally awesome! Believe the hype. Damn, the sense of scale in Minecraft now blows me away.

It's also shown me a few things that must be fixed. The crosshair will need to be depth dependent. All of my control toggles via the keyboard need to be on their own options menu on the HUD.

That will be incoming soon I hope. In the mean time, here's the next release:

0.23 Alpha 15-05-13
===================
- Initial MacOS support, with thanks to @PyramidHead76!
- Support chromatic aberration correction (beta)(with thanks to Ben @ MTBS3D). Toggle via Ctrl-Alt P.
- HUD GUI menu background now transparent.
- Potential fix for 'lost mouse' issue in HUD when not fullscreen or when using multiple monitors.
- Allow user to specify HUD scale. Use Ctrl-Alt U to cycle values.
- Allow user to specify HUD distance. Use Ctrl U to cycle values.
- Allow user to use mouse pitch input as well as yaw. Use Ctrl-N to toggle.

Known Issues:
-------------
- The inventory can sometimes flash between different transparency states on some tabs.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=17489

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 am

I'm glad you like your own creation :D

I wasn't sure if there was already an official Logo, Thus I hacked one together for the Article I wrote for my Blog:

Attachment:
minecraft-logo.png

Just wanted to share it. Can be used by anyone (other bloggers etc.) without asking. However, a link to the article would be nice.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Dakor wrote:
I'm glad you like your own creation :D

I wasn't sure if there was already an official Logo, Thus I hacked one together for the Article I wrote for my Blog:

Attachment:
minecraft-logo.png

Just wanted to share it. Can be used by anyone (other bloggers etc.) without asking. However, a link to the article would be nice.

Nice one! :-)

Edit: do you have the link to your blog?

Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 am

Nice. Congrats on getting the rift earlier and seeing your own work for the first time :)

Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 am
Cross Eyed!

I am so impressed by the development of this mod. Clearly you give this daily attention and your dedication to its development is admirable!

When I get my Rift my plan is to do an entire playthrough of the single player game in the Rift with no mods or cheats. I'm not too into the whole multiplayer aspect of Minecraft but I love to play it as a survival adventure game in singleplayer mode. I beat it awhile ago and am looking forward to a second go in the Rift!

Cheers!

Wed May 15, 2013 2:22 am

drgroove101 wrote:
I am so impressed by the development of this mod. Clearly you give this daily attention and your dedication to its development is admirable!

When I get my Rift my plan is to do an entire playthrough of the single player game in the Rift with no mods or cheats. I'm not too into the whole multiplayer aspect of Minecraft but I love to play it as a survival adventure game in singleplayer mode. I beat it awhile ago and am looking forward to a second go in the Rift!

Cheers!

my plan is first to play on my family's server and take a look around our farm - and let my kids try it out too.

then I'll start a new single player game on hard mode, find a cave to explore and then wet myself the first time I see an enderman :D

might also try it on the 1.6 snapshot too.

Wed May 15, 2013 2:39 am
Cross Eyed!

It's pretty amazing how well the color correction works. Really improves the visual quality. Nice job!

Speaking of visual quality, after playing the Valve's updated HL2 on the Rift with full anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering I have to say in my belief that getting AA supported will hugely improve how well minecrift looks and works on the Rift. After seeing the difference to me it is right up there in importance of having proper warp correction shaders and 1 to 1 head tracking.

Reason #1 is that the anti-aliasing really combats the Rift's low resolution, you don't even think about the resolution or "screendoor" effect when playing the updated HL2 on the Rift with full anti-aliasing. Reason #2 is that we constantly move our head ever so slightly even when we're think we're keeping it still. Breathing or slightly moving any part of our body causes the head to move. The Rift picks up on these small movements. If you have AA then it feels very natural. Without AA you see pixels dancing back and forth, most particularly at things at medium to far distances.

Maybe you and Ben can team up and figure out what is needed to get AA working.

(I haven't tried but I'm assuming you just can't mix minecrift with a mode like optifine that also messes with the shaders.)

Wed May 15, 2013 3:02 am

can you fiddle with GPU driver settings to force AA, or isn't that possible for java? Maybe set up downsampling at least so you're running minecraft at eg 2560x1600 but outputting at 1280x800 for the rift

Wed May 15, 2013 3:57 am

StellaArtois wrote:

Thanks! Yes, I can give you a link but my Oculus Rift Blog is in German, thus you won't find it very useful, I guess :D

Wed May 15, 2013 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

mrklaw wrote:
Nice. Congrats on getting the rift earlier and seeing your own work for the first time :)

It was slightly odd, I tell you. But quite amazing the difference. Surreal even. The scale of each block really hits you. Fantastic.

Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

tmek wrote:
It's pretty amazing how well the color correction works. Really improves the visual quality. Nice job!

Speaking of visual quality, after playing the Valve's updated HL2 on the Rift with full anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering I have to say in my belief that getting AA supported will hugely improve how well minecrift looks and works on the Rift. After seeing the difference to me it is right up there in importance of having proper warp correction shaders and 1 to 1 head tracking.

Reason #1 is that the anti-aliasing really combats the Rift's low resolution, you don't even think about the resolution or "screendoor" effect when playing the updated HL2 on the Rift with full anti-aliasing. Reason #2 is that we constantly move our head ever so slightly even when we're think we're keeping it still. Breathing or slightly moving any part of our body causes the head to move. The Rift picks up on these small movements. If you have AA then it feels very natural. Without AA you see pixels dancing back and forth, most particularly at things at medium to far distances.

Maybe you and Ben can team up and figure out what is needed to get AA working.

(I haven't tried but I'm assuming you just can't mix minecrift with a mode like optifine that also messes with the shaders.)

I wasn't so convinced with the chromatic aberration correction. However, now I'm wondering if it's not remembering the setting between sessions - I was convinced it looked better the first time I tried it. Not so the second and subsequent times.

Apart from the realisation of just how difficult it is to try to press 'Ctrl-Alt something' with the Rift on, the other thing that really stood out is the lack of mip-mapping (the texture shimmer - not good!), and lack of AA. Totally agree. Definitely needs to be sorted that one. Pity the source for Optifine isn't available - I'd like to see how easy it would be to merge the Optifine and Minecrift code base.

Wed May 15, 2013 6:21 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Dakor wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:

Thanks! Yes, I can give you a link but my Oculus Rift Blog is in German, thus you won't find it very useful, I guess :D

Google translate! Nice blog! :-)

Wed May 15, 2013 6:23 am

do they not work together nice then? Might be worth contacting the optifine guys. The potential for stereo 3D might get them onboard to help

Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

mrklaw wrote:
can you fiddle with GPU driver settings to force AA, or isn't that possible for java? Maybe set up downsampling at least so you're running minecraft at eg 2560x1600 but outputting at 1280x800 for the rift

As a stop-gap for now - I haven't tried this (and I don't know if it works for OpenGL):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

Wed May 15, 2013 6:32 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Jademalo wrote:
Hey Stella, glad to hear about your Rift! I ordered in March, so It's giong to be forever before I can properly try this mod =[

I have a question that a couple of people have touched on already - are you planning on attempting a detached mouse like the current source engine implementation? (As an aside - that would also double as Hydra support since the main requirement of Hydra integration is detached mouse since the Hydra normally just Hijacks the mouse.)
Obviously this would make the game almost perfect on the rift, the fact that the mouse is attached to your head is pretty much the only complaint I've seen for Vireio games.
The only thing that I will point out to remember is that with the rift, the hot spots should only be on the sides and not up/down. The locked Y axis that Martyn had issues with is a brilliant addition imo, it will seriously help motion sickness for a lot of people due to the Horizon always being in line with your inner ear. I actually have a mouse setting to severely dampen Y axis movement for use during Vireio games - having that implemented is very convenient. I do agree this should be a toggle as well though, since obviously some people with iron stomachs will want it.

Anyway, fingers crossed I get my rift pretty soon, I'd love to be able to do some sort of bug/playtesting to help you out because this honestly is absolutely fantastic.
Keep up the fantastic work, hope something good comes of this for you, you deserve it!

On another note, I've added a download link to the OP and changed the thread title. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner >_<

Thanks Jade! I got lucky!

To be honest, I really want to use Minecrift as a 'test-bed' of sorts for what works, and what doesn't work in the VR environment. I definitely want to experiment with different control schemes. Detached head movement is one to try. However I'm already finding myself liking the 'head-direction-is-movement'. It may be a neck workout, but as soon as I touch the mouse currently, I start getting queasy... Give me a few days until I get my 'VR legs', and that opinion may change!

Oh, and I tried the mouse pitch setting that inthelittlewood requested - that was an instant trip to barfville for me! The guys a freak! ;-)

Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

mrklaw wrote:
do they not work together nice then? Might be worth contacting the optifine guys. The potential for stereo 3D might get them onboard to help

Haven't tried either yet. I think I should!

Wed May 15, 2013 6:44 am

dp sorry

Last edited by mrklaw on Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 am

getting an error tryign to run 0.23 using magic launcher:

Code:
MagicMinecraftLauncher 1.0.0 ***
Disable inactive mods
229 recipes
27 achievements
Loading JRiftLibrary64.dll (64-bit)
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at magic.launcher.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no JRiftLibrary64 in java.library.path
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift.<clinit>(OculusRift.java:272)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:215)
    at avv.<init>(SourceFile:38)
    at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftApplet.init(SourceFile:38)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.main(Minecraft.java:2485)
    ... 5 more

I copied the new dlls to the windows folder. Magic launcher was working with build 0.22 - using java 7. Manually updating the minecraft.jar.

edit: works if I rename the minecraft.jar and launch normally though, I'll have a play.

Doesn't seem to like optifine being in the same jar file, stays on a black screen

Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

mrklaw wrote:
Doesn't seem to like optifine being in the same jar file, stays on a black screen

That doesn't surprise me. I'd guess the Optifine guys have modified the same classes I have (i.e. the main rendering pipeline stuff).

Wed May 15, 2013 8:55 am

optifine works ok with sonic ether shaders though. but yes, there is quite an overlap - and I bet the classes they need for AA will be similar ones you need too

Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 am
Cross Eyed!

Visually it'd be nice if there were some way to get MinecRift and Optifine working together, the AA and various texture features of Optifine would sure make the game look better. But that's not super important right now I suppose. Maybe in the future the mods can merge or otherwise become compatible. heh

Took me a few minutes to realize that F1 was turned on by default the first time I tried the mod. Also might be nice to have a list or legend somewhere for all the different Keyboard Shortcuts for the various config options.

Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 am
One Eyed Hopeful

anyone using XP?
I keep getting the black screen and when trying to register the DLL get "load library failed the specified procedure could not be found"

Wed May 15, 2013 5:28 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joeyjoe9876 wrote:
anyone using XP?
I keep getting the black screen and when trying to register the DLL get "load library failed the specified procedure could not be found"
It sounds like it can't find the jrift libraries. Try dropping the .dll files into the %windir%/system32 folder. Even if something is going wrong with setting the PATH variable, they should still be picked up from there.

Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

EdZ wrote:
Joeyjoe9876 wrote:
anyone using XP?
It sounds like it can't find the jrift libraries. Try dropping the .dll files into the %windir%/system32 folder. Even if something is going wrong with setting the PATH variable, they should still be picked up from there.

The JRiftLibrary is currently built using MSVC 2012, using the V110 compiler. That doesn't support XP. Also, I believe the Oculus libs also require Vista or above, but I could be wrong on that.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

NikoKun wrote:
Took me a few minutes to realize that F1 was turned on by default the first time I tried the mod. Also might be nice to have a list or legend somewhere for all the different Keyboard Shortcuts for the various config options.

Noted. Ideally they will be added to their own GUI menu, which is what I intend to do at some point.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am
One Eyed Hopeful

StellaArtois wrote:
EdZ wrote:
Joeyjoe9876 wrote:
anyone using XP?

The JRiftLibrary is currently built using MSVC 2012, using the V110 compiler. That doesn't support XP. Also, I believe the Oculus libs also require Vista or above, but I could be wrong on that.

Upgraded to Win7 and everything is working fine. This is a really great mod, I've enjoyed it more than the other demos I've tried that's for sure.

Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am

StellaArtois wrote:
Thanks Jade! I got lucky!

To be honest, I really want to use Minecrift as a 'test-bed' of sorts for what works, and what doesn't work in the VR environment. I definitely want to experiment with different control schemes. Detached head movement is one to try. However I'm already finding myself liking the 'head-direction-is-movement'. It may be a neck workout, but as soon as I touch the mouse currently, I start getting queasy... Give me a few days until I get my 'VR legs', and that opinion may change!

Oh, and I tried the mouse pitch setting that inthelittlewood requested - that was an instant trip to barfville for me! The guys a freak! ;-)

I don't think making something like this and getting rewarded constitutes as luck, you deserve it! =p

If it was me attempting to do the mod, I personally would start out by flat copying the 7 modes that Valve have implemented for TF2, and work from there. They seem to have a lot of good, varied options and mode 3(?) I think is the best solution at present. Obviously though that would be a ton of work, but it would probably give you a nice base to tweak and experiment, while pleasing all different types of people who like different modes.
If I was making my own mode, I would Keep movement direction based on head pointing, with the detatched "keyhole" mouse. When you go to the sides of the screen, your whole body + camera is rotated, so forward movement is altered to the centre of your current vision. Vertical would be totally fixed to your head and couldn't be adjusted by the mouse, keeping the horizon level. Obviously the keyhole means you can still aim up and down, but it keeps you from a ton of motion sickness. (I think this is how mode 3 operates, but I'm not 100% sure)
That's just what I would do though, and It's obviously up you how you do it =p. I wish I could do something to help, I hate feeling so useless! I just don't have the functional knowledge to be able to do anything =[

Also, I asked him about that on Reddit, and he said he never suffered from any motion sickness at all. It's insane, and he's so damn lucky!

Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Just played this, it was great. Works really well actually.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:53 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

StellaArtois wrote:
Mystify wrote:

Hang on about a month.

I'm so glad to hear you say that - Hydra support would make this for me.
Thanks for all your hard work; following with great interest.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 49  Next