It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 49  Next
 Minecrift Discussion Thread 
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Next version:

0.22 Alpha 12-05-13
===================
- Reinstated crosshair when HUD overlay is on.
- Corrected aspect ratio of HUD.
- Fixed rendering of health, experience bars etc.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=17489

Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 am
Cross Eyed!

StellaArtois wrote:
Next version:

0.22 Alpha 12-05-13
===================

Wow! Your mod just becomes more and more unbelievably amazing. So incredibly playable at this point. Minecrift is absolutely the best demo/game for the Rift right now in my opinion.

Here's some feedback on 0.22.

bugs:
----
- the original "arrow" mouse cursor is visible the first time you open your inventory window. If you close your inventory and open it again the arrow cursor is no longer shown and you only see the cross hair cursor.
- the crosshair cursor while crafting seems to sometimes to change color, often it's a very gray color that blends in and is hard to locate on the screen. (it's like it's using the last drawn gl_color or something. For example once i had the console open and the crosshair blinked black and white in time with the console underscore)

feature requests:
-----------------
- Can you look into adding Chromatic Aberration correction pixel shading from Oculus Rift 2.1 SDK? This could improve the already awesome visuals even further. There is updated pixel shader code and discussion of Chromatic Aberration starting on page 42 in the Oculus SDK Docs v1.2

Other issues/requests you might hold off on till you get your rift:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
- limited field of view, can't read debug text or chat text because they are mostly in the upper and lower left corners
- I would really prefer the gray background be made completely or mostly transparent when crafting. In the orignal game it's mostly transparent. It just looks weird
- shoulders block vision, maybe pushing the eye/camera forward just a bit?

I've added a screenshot that highlights pretty accurately what you actually see when looking through the Rift (lots of pixels are never visible due the larger than needed panel size). This is using A-cup lenses with the assembly pushed out all the way. If the assembly is pushed in further the circles would be a bit larger, but not much (to the point that they touched in the middle). As you can see the F3 debug info and chat text mostly fall outside of this currently.

I added a similar file called "rift overlay" that could be helpful in development even once you have your Rift. If you can get this texture to overlay on the minecraft screen while debugging you can get a sense for what it will look like in the rift without having to constantly put your Rift on and take it off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by tmek on Sun May 12, 2013 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 12, 2013 2:03 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Sounds like its at the level where StellaArtois could wait for his rift - more tweaking than anything big. Also gives time for others to provide feedback

Sun May 12, 2013 2:24 am
Two Eyed Hopeful

Finally got a chance to have a proper sit down with this, love it! I don't have my DK yet so using my DIY Rift, but everything looks great. The UI is very usable. Thanks for the hard work!

Sun May 12, 2013 2:44 am
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Dakor wrote:
mrklaw wrote:

Hi Dakor - does this installer set up a custom location for the whole thing? So leaving any standard minecraft installations alone?

hi, afaik you can only have one installation of minecraft per Computer. This is because no matter where you put your Minecraft.exe, the Minecraft data will be in your %APPDATA% Folder.
That said, no it will not. You can backup your minecraft.jar before installing, thus you can switch between both jars.

If there is enough interest, I can add a Button that lets you run Minecraft without Minecrift.

When you redirect the %appdata % variable you can have multiple installations of MC.
Code:
example batch file:
@ECHO OFF
set APPDATA=%CD%\data
REM minecraft.exe
java -Xmx768M -Xms512M -cp minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
pause
exit

Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 am
Two Eyed Hopeful

I finally had a chance to try this out this morning. Great job Stella. I'm amazed at how well everything works, especially considering you've done it blind, so to speak. It feels very odd to play the game and have the the blocks genuinely appear as if they're a cubic meter. Also sheep are suddenly terrifying. One wandered up behind me and when I turned round I pretty much pantsed my crap.

Anyhow, I tried getting the chromatic aberration shader working, but it refuses to load. I guess I can't just edit the compiled files, even though the shader portion is intact.

And a mildly amusing aside - it's been a couple of years since I last played Minecraft, so I couldn't remember which skin I was using. It quickly became apparent when the game loaded and my view was blocked. Appropriately enough, the offending headgear was a pair of red/cyan anaglyph glasses. :D

Sun May 12, 2013 7:18 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Ben wrote:
I finally had a chance to try this out this morning. Great job Stella. I'm amazed at how well everything works, especially considering you've done it blind, so to speak. It feels very odd to play the game and have the the blocks genuinely appear as if they're a cubic meter. Also sheep are suddenly terrifying. One wandered up behind me and when I turned round I pretty much pantsed my crap.

Anyhow, I tried getting the chromatic aberration shader working, but it refuses to load. I guess I can't just edit the compiled files, even though the shader portion is intact.

And a mildly amusing aside - it's been a couple of years since I last played Minecraft, so I couldn't remember which skin I was using. It quickly became apparent when the game loaded and my view was blocked. Appropriately enough, the offending headgear was a pair of red/cyan anaglyph glasses. :D

The more I read stories like this the more I want to see this myself!

Ben, thanks for helping generate the original GLSL shader for this, much appreciated. Do you have a modified shader for the chromatic aberration to hand that you could post up here? Then I could plug it almost straight in. To be honest I'm being lazy here - otherwise I'd have to convert the direct x shader in the SDK docs to GLSL myself ;-)

Sun May 12, 2013 8:31 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

tmek wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
Next version:

0.22 Alpha 12-05-13
===================

Wow! Your mod just becomes more and more unbelievably amazing. So incredibly playable at this point. Minecrift is absolutely the best demo/game for the Rift right now in my opinion.

Here's some feedback on 0.22.

bugs:
----
- the original "arrow" mouse cursor is visible the first time you open your inventory window. If you close your inventory and open it again the arrow cursor is no longer shown and you only see the cross hair cursor.
- the crosshair cursor while crafting seems to sometimes to change color, often it's a very gray color that blends in and is hard to locate on the screen. (it's like it's using the last drawn gl_color or something. For example once i had the console open and the crosshair blinked black and white in time with the console underscore)

feature requests:
-----------------
- Can you look into adding Chromatic Aberration correction pixel shading from Oculus Rift 2.1 SDK? This could improve the already awesome visuals even further. There is updated pixel shader code and discussion of Chromatic Aberration starting on page 42 in the Oculus SDK Docs v1.2

Other issues/requests you might hold off on till you get your rift:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
- limited field of view, can't read debug text or chat text because they are mostly in the upper and lower left corners
- I would really prefer the gray background be made completely or mostly transparent when crafting. In the orignal game it's mostly transparent. It just looks weird
- shoulders block vision, maybe pushing the eye/camera forward just a bit?

I've added a screenshot that highlights pretty accurately what you actually see when looking through the Rift (lots of pixels are never visible due the larger than needed panel size). This is using A-cup lenses with the assembly pushed out all the way. If the assembly is pushed in further the circles would be a bit larger, but not much (to the point that they touched in the middle). As you can see the F3 debug info and chat text mostly fall outside of this currently.

I added a similar file called "rift overlay" that could be helpful in development even once you have your Rift. If you can get this texture to overlay on the minecraft screen while debugging you can get a sense for what it will look like in the rift without having to constantly put your Rift on and take it off.

Damn tmek, that is some serious feedback. Gives me a lot to go on. Thank you. The screenshot alone is very helpful. I remember one of Cymatic Bruce's videos had a similar picture; I kept meaning to find that for reference. I'll plug in the overlay for debug for sure. I don't suppose you could knock one together to show max FOV, I.e when the assembly is in as far as you can get it? Then I can switch between then if necessary.

On the other points:

- seen the windows mouse cursor thing, will fix at some point.
- I'm a bit of a n00b with glBlend at the moment - I'll work out what's going on with the crafting mouse pointer.
- Chromatic Aberation correction will be in shortly, with an option to enable / disable in case you're playing without a rift.
- the grey background is another blend issue I believe. Will try to sort that at some point, it bugs me too.
- the HUD needs some more work. When I get my rift I want to play around with head track separated from body movement. At that point I may move back to a slightly non- fixed HUD position (I.e. fixed to movement direction, not head position). That should allow panning around the HUD again, if it looks ok. I don't think I can just make the HUD fit into the FOV without making all text too small and unreadable. If the DK1 was higher res that may have worked and been the simple solution.

Edit: shoulders in the view hasn't bugged me yet, but seeing inside your own body certainly has. I'll look into that.

Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 am
Two Eyed Hopeful

Here's the chromatic aberration shader. As I said, I haven't tested it, but I don't think I've forgotten anything. I'll probably be looking at optimizing the distortion stuff sometime this week, so there'll be a nice quick (and less legible) version soon.
Code:
#version 120

uniform sampler2D bgl_RenderTexture;
uniform int half_screenWidth;
uniform vec2 LeftLensCenter;
uniform vec2 RightLensCenter;
uniform vec2 LeftScreenCenter;
uniform vec2 RightScreenCenter;
uniform vec2 Scale;
uniform vec2 ScaleIn;
uniform vec4 HmdWarpParam;
uniform vec4 ChromAbParam;

void main()
{
    vec2 LensCenter = gl_FragCoord.x < half_screenWidth ? LeftLensCenter : RightLensCenter;
    vec2 ScreenCenter = gl_FragCoord.x < half_screenWidth ? LeftScreenCenter : RightScreenCenter;

vec2 theta = (gl_TexCoord[0].xy - LensCenter) * ScaleIn;
    float rSq = theta.x * theta.x + theta.y * theta.y;
    vec2 theta1 = theta * (HmdWarpParam.x + HmdWarpParam.y * rSq + HmdWarpParam.z * rSq * rSq + HmdWarpParam.w * rSq * rSq * rSq);

vec2 thetaBlue = theta1 * (ChromAbParam.w * rSq + ChromAbParam.z);
    vec2 tcBlue = thetaBlue * Scale + LensCenter;

if (any(bvec2(clamp(tcBlue, ScreenCenter-vec2(0.25,0.5), ScreenCenter+vec2(0.25,0.5)) - tcBlue))) {
        gl_FragColor = vec4(vec3(0.0), 1.0);
        return;
    }
    float blue = texture2D(bgl_RenderTexture, tcBlue).b;

vec2 tcGreen = theta1 * Scale + LensCenter;
    float green = texture2D(bgl_RenderTexture, tcGreen).g;

vec2 thetaRed = theta1 * (ChromAbParam.y * rSq + ChromAbParam.x);
    vec2 tcRed = thetaRed * Scale + LensCenter;
    float red = texture2D(bgl_RenderTexture, tcRed).r;

gl_FragColor = vec4(red, green, blue, 1.0);
}

Sun May 12, 2013 10:52 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Thanks Ben! I'll get that plumbed in!

Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 am
Cross Eyed!

Just tried MinecRift for the first time. Seems to work on Minecraft 1.5.2 too!

What can I say. Incredible! Brings total immersion to the block world. Feels quite natural already. The FOV feels a tad narrow, as if playing with binoculars, but then I can look around so it's not a big issue. This game is pretty good neck exercise though, as you have to look up and down a lot to dig and build in the right places. :) When climbing ladders you'll need to look straight down or up so you can see where you're going, which made me shift around in my chair to be able to actually do so. A little crosshair to help to see which block I'm pointing at could be helpful... or was it recently disabled because it got distracting?

Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 pm
Cross Eyed!

Latest version had the crosshair put in. You need to hit F1 to activate the UI

Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm
Cross Eyed!

StellaArtois wrote:
The screenshot alone is very helpful. I remember one of Cymatic Bruce's videos had a similar picture; I kept meaning to find that for reference. I'll plug in the overlay for debug for sure. I don't suppose you could knock one together to show max FOV, I.e when the assembly is in as far as you can get it? Then I can switch between then if necessary.

I still feel my overlay is pretty representative and I've made an updated image to show the max reasonable FOV. However, Geekmaster has a fairly passionate opposing view on the matter. If you are interested you can check out the discussion and images starting with this post.

Sun May 12, 2013 2:00 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

tmek wrote:
I still feel my overlay is pretty representative and I've made an updated image to show the max reasonable FOV. However, Geekmaster has a fairly passionate opposing view on the matter. If you are interested you can check out the discussion and images starting with this post.

With my usual setup (Type A lens and almost all the way in but just far enough that my lashes do not brush against the lens) I can definitely see the entire blue ring but no magenta.
If I adjust it all the way close so my lashes touch the lens I can see most of the outer dark regions in my periphery and the center plastic screen divider and the magenta just showing a little on the sides and bottom when I'm looking the other way. It goes away when I try to look at it. I see a bit less of the top of the screen.
I'd say the center circle is safe for HUD elements but everything but the magenta is needed for periphery vision.

Last edited by vanti on Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

vanti wrote:
I'd say the center circle is safe for HUD elements but everything but the magenta is needed for periphery vision.

That seems a reasonable summary of the arguments. Very interesting. Seems we are all different!

For now I'll introduce a scaling function for the FOV, and see how readable it is if I fit it in the centre area. I'm also toying with an option to move the fit point of the distortion to the top edge (instead of the left edge as currently recommended by the SDK) of the viewport to increase potential peripheral vision, if desired; at the expense of some rendering cost, of course. Hell, just for a laugh we could set the fit point to the top corner so that no black border is rendered at all; just to see if that feels better for geekmaster and others with wide peripheral vision.

Edit: top & left edge reversed!

Last edited by StellaArtois on Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Skaven252 wrote:
The FOV feels a tad narrow

Seems we need some sort of FOV adjustment. A few people have commented on this.

Does the Rift report it's current assembly / housing position to the driver? Just wondering if the driver takes into account this postion, and comes up with some sort of estimated 'Eye to Lens' distance based on the housing position? Because surely that has an effect on the perceived FOV (and hence has to be plugged back into the FOV to be rendered)?

Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 am
One Eyed Hopeful

StellaArtois wrote:
Does the Rift report it's current assembly / housing position to the driver? Just wondering if the driver takes into account this postion, and comes up with some sort of estimated 'Eye to Lens' distance based on the housing position? Because surely that has an effect on the perceived FOV (and hence has to be plugged back into the FOV to be rendered)?

Unfortunately, I don't think the hardware is aware of the distance between the screen and your eyes, nor what lenses you're using. Team Fortress 2 solved that problem by having console commands to specify which lenses you're using, and using their built-in calibration tool will solve the need to know actual eye distance (assuming you run the calibration utility after adjusting everything, of course).

edit: yep, the hardware can't know how you've configured the distance/lenses. If you take a look at the second photo of step 6, you'll see the entire lens/adjustment section of the Oculus is fully separate from the rest of the Rift, and only held together by some screws: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+R ... wn/13682/1

Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

hellodeibu wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think the hardware is aware of the distance between the screen and your eyes, nor what lenses you're using.

Would be nice if the DK2 or consumer had that. Sounds like these parameters need to be known by the driver.

hellodeibu wrote:
Team Fortress 2 solved that problem by having console commands to specify which lenses you're using, and using their built-in calibration tool will solve the need to know actual eye distance (assuming you run the calibration utility after adjusting everything, of course).

I need to play around with the calibration tool once my Rift turns up. I wonder when a recommended calibration scheme will be put together by Oculus? That would be useful.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

UI suggestion:

Why not make the UI really big and bold... and have it fade in/out? (could be toggled via button press, or appear when used and automatically fade out after a few moments). This means you can have it really clear and readable, and not worry about dedicating "too" large a portion of the screen to the UI. You can also probably get away with a bigger UI if the UI is not tied to head movement (so you can look away from the UI).

Mon May 13, 2013 3:08 am
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

StellaArtois wrote:
Would be nice if the DK2 or consumer had that. Sounds like these parameters need to be known by the driver.

I think the biggest problem is that the numbers alone don't paint the full picture. No matter what, there will always be a bit that can only be done by human calibration. Maybe Oculus should release a calibration utility so that all game developers don't have to implement it by themselves. I think that would be the best way to go about supporting the Rift, but what do I know :-).

Mon May 13, 2013 3:10 am
Cross Eyed!

I know this may not be the best place for this but I can't see any other posts related. I have been following this Mod for minecraft to get it working with the Rift but I am completly suprised that no one has done this for nVidia 3D vision yet???

I know there was a mod a few years back but it doesn't work properly, there is lag between the left eye and right eye which makes it feel like someone is trying to pull your brain apart!. I'm not exactly sure how this particular mod works but surely it wouldn't be very difficult to modify this to get it to work with either 3D vision or the IZ3d/Tridef drivers that support SBS?

Minecraft looks awesome in 3D and considering how long it has been out and what a Geeks game it is I can't see why it doesn't have true 3d support yet. (Unless I have missed something somewhere!)

So is there any setting in this mod that could help get this working for standard 3d monitors?

Thanks. Matt.

Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Croccy22 wrote:
I know this may not be the best place for this but I can't see any other posts related. I have been following this Mod for minecraft to get it working with the Rift but I am completly suprised that no one has done this for nVidia 3D vision yet???

I know there was a mod a few years back but it doesn't work properly, there is lag between the left eye and right eye which makes it feel like someone is trying to pull your brain apart!. I'm not exactly sure how this particular mod works but surely it wouldn't be very difficult to modify this to get it to work with either 3D vision or the IZ3d/Tridef drivers that support SBS?

Minecraft looks awesome in 3D and considering how long it has been out and what a Geeks game it is I can't see why it doesn't have true 3d support yet. (Unless I have missed something somewhere!)

So is there any setting in this mod that could help get this working for standard 3d monitors?

Thanks. Matt.

I must confess I wouldn't know where to start with 3d vision stuff! However the entire rendering pipeline would have to be changed to talk to the nVidia driver; use the nVidia convergence & separation parameters; render alternate views one after the other instead of side by side. That's one for someone else I'm afraid, had enough trouble getting this working ;-)

Mon May 13, 2013 4:19 am

StellaArtois wrote:

I must confess I wouldn't know where to start with 3d vision stuff! However the entire rendering pipeline would have to be changed to talk to the nVidia driver; use the nVidia convergence & separation parameters; render alternate views one after the other instead of side by side. That's one for someone else I'm afraid, had enough trouble getting this working ;-)

your version with no warping - so just side by side, with head tracking disabled and normal HUD elements - should actually be really good for 3DTVs..

as for HUD, I'd be happy to have the elements large enough to read and move my head around a little if needed to see everything - eg look down to see hot bar, down and slightly right for hunger/health etc.

Mon May 13, 2013 5:13 am
One Eyed Hopeful

With the latest patch (22), I only seem to be able to move my mouse now to affect the X axis..

Is there a simple keyboard shortcut to re-enable free reign of the mouse?

I found it much more fluid when I could use headtracking and mouse movements to my own preference.

Cheers, thanks for the hard work so far it's fantastic!

M

EDIT: Just been dabbling and it's essentially when head tracking is on, I lose this ability. Could there be a third option? Headtracking On, Headtracking Off, Headtracking & Mouse On possibly?

Mon May 13, 2013 5:53 am
Cross Eyed!

StellaArtois wrote:
Croccy22 wrote:

Thanks. Matt.

As the guy below me said, You have pretty much done all the hard work. If you could release a version that doesn't do any of the FOV correction so it is just a plain Side by Side image then that would allow minecraft to work on any 3D TV and also on any PC with the correct drivers (I think the Tridef Drivers support Side by Side 3d and these also work with the 3D Vision glasses).

Go on, you know you want to!! :). You would be the hero of the minecraft 3d world hehe. :woot

Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

InTheLittleWood wrote:
With the latest patch (22), I only seem to be able to move my mouse now to affect the X axis..

I found it much more fluid when I could use headtracking and mouse movements to my own preference.

M

EDIT: Just been dabbling and it's essentially when head tracking is on, I lose this ability. Could there be a third option? Headtracking On, Headtracking Off, Headtracking & Mouse On possibly?

Welcome to our forum. Love your Youtube channel btw.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Croccy22 wrote:
As the guy below me said, You have pretty much done all the hard work. If you could release a version that doesn't do any of the FOV correction so it is just a plain Side by Side image then that would allow minecraft to work on any 3D TV and also on any PC with the correct drivers (I think the Tridef Drivers support Side by Side 3d and these also work with the 3D Vision glasses).

Go on, you know you want to!! :). You would be the hero of the minecraft 3d world hehe. :woot

If that's all it takes, have you tried pressing Ctrl-P (while in game and not in a menu) to disable the distortion?

Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

InTheLittleWood wrote:

M

Great video btw InTheLittleWood, and thanks!

If you promise to do another video with 0.23 I'll add that option for you ;-) Seriously however - was there headtracking + full mouse previously?

Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 am
Cross Eyed!

StellaArtois wrote:
Croccy22 wrote:

If that's all it takes, have you tried pressing Ctrl-P (while in game and not in a menu) to disable the distortion?

Nope I didn't try that :). But I can promise you I will be as soon as I get home!. Will let you know the results :D

Matt.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:20 am

hi, probably a dumb question, but should this work without a rift attached? I think I followed the instructions ok, but when I run minecraft it just goes to an 'updating minecraft' screen, the progress bar is 95% full but doesn't move, and it says 'Done loading'

and then just sits there.

I'd run it before to update it to 1.5.2, the only difference is adding the new files to the minecraft jar via 7-zip

edit: running an admin command prompt with java -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame gets me the same result, and the command window shows:

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.SecurityException: SHA1 digest error fo
r net/minecraft/client/Minecraft.class
at sun.security.util.ManifestEntryVerifier.verify(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarVerifier.processEntry(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarVerifier.update(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarVerifier$VerifierStream.read(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Resource.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.GameUpdater.createApplet(GameUpdater.java:374)
at net.minecraft.Launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:79)

edit2: doh, forgot to delete META-INF. Been a while since manually patching minecraft. Works ok now. ctrl-P with no distortion looks ok, but the field of view is perhaps a bit warped for comfortable viewing on a 3DTV. I'll take a look later on our set in the lounge if nobody else comments first.

edit3: field of view means this might not be suited for 3DTV/monitor setups - current one on a monitor looks more like full 110 degrees (Quake pro) which is unusable for me on a normal screen. ctrl-p plus an option to revert to normal minecraft FoV settings should be pretty darn good though

Last edited by mrklaw on Mon May 13, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 13, 2013 11:32 am

by the way, for those wanting to have this plus vanilla minecraft on their computer - MagicLauncher is what you want. You can set up multiple installs, each pointing to a different minecraft.jar, and also have different optifine/mods per installed version.

So now I have vanilla minecraft, one with sonic ether shaders, and the rift version sitting nicely alongside each other.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 pm
Cross Eyed!

mrklaw wrote:
by the way, for those wanting to have this plus vanilla minecraft on their computer - MagicLauncher is what you want. You can set up multiple installs, each pointing to a different minecraft.jar, and also have different optifine/mods per installed version.

So now I have vanilla minecraft, one with sonic ether shaders, and the rift version sitting nicely alongside each other.

So do you know a way to get AA working on ATI Gpu with minecrift?

Mon May 13, 2013 1:22 pm
Certif-Eyed!

mrklaw wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I feel like I won't need it though, I think I would gladly do 100% of my minecrafting in the rift.

Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

StellaArtois wrote:
InTheLittleWood wrote:

M

If you promise to do another video with 0.23 I'll add that option for you ;-) Seriously however - was there headtracking + full mouse previously?

Deal! haha :D

Yeah the version I played initially had that, I think it was .15 if I remember rightly.

Having that option would be fantastic though.. Other than that, this is working just how I'd imagine it to from an official Mojang release so I couldn't be happier! Keep polishing it up and making us smile!

Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful

The projection matrices will need to be slightly different for a regular 3D display. Take a look at the off-axis projection stuff here. There's OpenGL code towards the bottom.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:21 pm
Cross Eyed!

StellaArtois wrote:
Seriously however - was there headtracking + full mouse previously?

I'm not sure there ever was mouse pitch control with headtracking. InTheLittleWood's first video had the version were the head tracking math wasn't quite right. It was over 3 times more sensitive than 1 to 1 tracking. So you only had to move your head a bit down or up for your character to look straight down or up.

I believe the general recommendation from Oculus is to not allow the mouse or right joystick to affect pitch. The reason is you are breaking the relation between your perception of the game world's gravity and your real world gravity. Even without vision you still have a good sense of which direction "down" is because of mechanisms in our inner ear.

Senses: Balance and Acceleration on wikipedia says...
Quote:
The vestibular nerve conducts information from sensory receptors in three ampulla that sense motion of fluid in three semicircular canals caused by three-dimensional rotation of the head. The vestibular nerve also conducts information from the utricle and the saccule, which contain hair-like sensory receptors that bend under the weight of otoliths (which are small crystals of calcium carbonate) that provide the inertia needed to detect head rotation, linear acceleration, and the direction of gravitational force.

So when we sense gravity is supposed to be one way, but our vision is telling us it's another direction because we've rotated world using the mouse instead of headtracking it can take away from the immersion and/or make people feel strange.

The solution that seems to work best is to instead allow the mouse or right joystick Y-axis to move the cross hair up or down on the screen so that we can look up only partway and act on things directly that above us or down on the ground that we see in our Peripheral vision. Check out the default recent Half-Life 2 implementation as an example of this.

Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Ben wrote:
The projection matrices will need to be slightly different for a regular 3D display. Take a look at the off-axis projection stuff here. There's OpenGL code towards the bottom.

Hang on, I'm not volunteering for this just yet ;-) That's a nice link though... Cheers!

Mon May 13, 2013 3:10 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

InTheLittleWood wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:
InTheLittleWood wrote:

M

Deal! haha :D

Yeah the version I played initially had that, I think it was .15 if I remember rightly.

Having that option would be fantastic though.. Other than that, this is working just how I'd imagine it to from an official Mojang release so I couldn't be happier! Keep polishing it up and making us smile!

I'll definitely add this in. I'm curious as to how people will get on with it, especially after seeing the info tmek's posted.

Mon May 13, 2013 3:24 pm
Certif-Eyed!

I'd like to see hydra integration so you can point it at whatever block you want and hit a button, regardless of where you are looking. That way you could just point it straight up or down, dig to the side while you look around, etc.

Mon May 13, 2013 3:27 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful

StellaArtois wrote:
Hang on, I'm not volunteering for this just yet ;-) That's a nice link though... Cheers!
Haha, sorry. It wasn't directed at you specifically.

Mon May 13, 2013 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 49  Next