It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:36 am



Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What happend to VORPX 
Author Message
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 am
Posts: 188
Location: Bavaria
Reply with quote
What happened to vorpx – no demo or driver release ?
I could imagine, that Ralf Ostertag sold his driver to oculus, because oculus needs a driver for the “OLD” games.
A lot of the “NEW” engines promise to support the oculus out of the box – so there will be no driver needed any more .
Can Tridef and Nvidia ignore the support of the oculus rift any longer ?
Nvidia will loose a lot of 3dvision customers (grafix buyer) if the vorpx driver will work on any grafix.
And Tridef – will loose too, because a lot of 3d gamer will change to the oculus rift.

Best regards FR3D

_________________
best regards FR3D


Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:18 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 228
Reply with quote
Oculus's main aim is to launch the Rift with a strong lineup of VR-exclusive titles, which is why they are generally not particularly supportive of injection drivers. I highly doubt they enter any sort of official agreement with VorpX because it would make people confuse the Oculus product with the VorpX product, and Oculus don't want to put their name to "hacky"/unofficial solutions.

I think that Ralf is just waiting until the consumer Rift launches, aiming to have the best possible experience then and ride the hype train at that time, maybe make a few "must buy" lists for Rift owners.

Both strategies make sense IMO


Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 pm
Posts: 315
Reply with quote
what happend is he completely dropped the ball on us thats what happend. Now im actually kinda wishing that MTBS3D didnt resolve that issue with him. I mean here is a good tip on how NOT to do development for the Rift ....Do not annouce a product thats supposed to be great and cool and make a lot of games work with the Rift with some nice featuers, provide people some demos to beta test it. have some people "review it" and then completely ignore your main fanbase by not bothering to update your blog for 3 months....and do not backpeddle and say "oh ooh VorpX should be out shortly after the Rift dev kits start shipping and..you shoudnt have to wait 4 months..." to 4 months later still sayng "when its done"/

what gets me the most is having these nice little previews by people he gave (im sure free) the beta version to ...and not even bother to let us people who want to PAY MONEY for it..to get the beta version too.

i think he is going about this like a commercial/retail product instead of realizing gee.this is a DEV KIT it DOESNT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!

and its great that to find infomation about the product you have to go to other sites instead of his own.

I dont know what dark hole he has been in for the last few months but apparently hes taking his sweet little time over this.

and it woudnt be so bad and frustrating if not for the fact there really isnt that much content for the Rift right now honestly.

yeah plenty of demos but most of those demos are simply concepts and can be viewed in a few minutes and not something you go back over and over.

perception drivers dont work as good for me i hate how the screen is rendered longer SIDEWAYS (really?) and the headtracking seems wavey.

even with the beta it looked like Vorpx was WAY better then perception and totally worth it!

it had world of warcraft running and the current "mod" that has it working requires FOUR programs to run besides wow and littearly like 45 steps ...even then i coudnt get it to work right (most likely some stupid thing i didnt do)

but either way. I am pretty ticked off. I mean of all the programs and of all the people, ok fine one game taking a while to be done. fine i get that. but vorpx would have been an awsome product to immediently give you acess to a ton of content for the Rift..it may not be perfect but still way better then other solutions.

But no....this guy has to be mr profectionest . it really ticks me off i wrote a not so nice post on his forums over it (though i regret it a bit but ..theres no way to deleate it so..whatever).

basically his lack of updates and lack of any idea of having some sort of beta program where you prepay at a early price ...something that would be needed. ...shows me that he could care LESS about the people who are really interested in it.

its his little baby and when "he" magically decides that its "ready" (i have no idea at what point that would be? whats the critiera for it to be "ready?" hmm?

it could be weeks, it could be months . for the last few months all he said was "when its ready".

who the hell knows.

it was still in testing as far as i knew the start of July as i asked to help test out as it was my birthday and he said "no we have enough testers:

sure you do. im sure you gave it out to a ton of "press" people so to speak, just to have them to do PR for you. not actually to really "test it out".

Tip to you guys. If you ever come out with a product like this for the RIft DO NOT DO WHAT HE DID. if your going to take THAT long to have any thing to try out....you might as well just NOT annouce the thing until closer to when you have it ready!

you know i think if he slow pokes around this long by the time he finally to "decide" to release it. Tridef or another company may have already released a perhaps better solution!

whatever. it ticks me off. yeah yeah yeah i shoud stop whining ..but whatever.

you know what i hope> it would serve him right if Tridef came out with a program before him. they already have side by side 3d working in like what "700 games?" they said? all it needs is the prewarping and head tracking and ...

seriously i hope another company or someone comes up with a solution as well ... this guy is taking FOREVER and its ticking me off.

just like garry by tacking on vr support in the garrys mod beta only to have it crash and not even bothering to fix it for a month now

ugh. the ONE game i want to work with VR because of all the options it can have and yeah.

whatever.

honestly on a whole Rift development has been pretty slow lately. id think to see more demos considering how easy it is to get into Unity and make simple things from the asset store.

oh well. im glad i got the 4 month trial of Unity Pro it is giving me something to do with the RIft while i wait for more content...but come ON VORPX

what ticks me off more is the fact that i wanted so bad to play World of Warcraf and this other guy had a mod to get it to work for it.....i had a feeling it be something like it...and sure enough

you gotta run FOUR other programs at once to get it to work ...plus go through like 45 steps im not kidding. with all that crap its more likely something is going to mess up along the way....and sure enough i cant get the bloodly thing to work right. thats why we NEED AN INJECTION DRIVER so you dont have to use THREE OTHER PRGRAMS to get the bloody thing to work!

oh and in reply to the last post.

oh HELL NO

he better not be waiting till the consumer version! he waits that late and chances are nvidia or tridef will have a solution by then. he did email me and said (finally replying to an email after 2 other times he didnt) that it will be out "well before " the consumer version

but thats all we have lately. no date no nothing.

but yeah he better not be waiting till the consumer version. we desprately need it now. due to the lack of content lately!

whatever. .


Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:15 am
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:51 am
Posts: 401
Reply with quote
Evenios wrote:
RANT

Nobody owns you anything if you didn't pay for it. Promises can be broken and you can stop trusting the people who made them, but learn to deal with it. I can imagine the frustration if you paid for the Oculus Rift and there doesn't seem to be enough support for it, but this is what they mean with "Development Kit". Development usually takes more time than developers themselves think it does and many people in this field are perfectionists, for good reason because the first impression is often the only chance you get and will define your reputation for a long time to come. Especially if people already have high expectations.

I agree that it's strange. Many of us expected that Vorpx would be releasing its initial version by now and we've seen people playing with it and there is plenty of software out there (demo's and open source) which has beta releases and incremental updates, however it's completetly up to the developer to decide. It would be nice if he communicated about it, but there are plenty of reasons why he might not be able to: Too busy (as a single developer) - deals with other companies as suggested by others - or simply because he doesn't want to repeat himself.

We'll see.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 pm
Posts: 119
Reply with quote
Lol +1 for an epic rant, one thing that's keeping me going is watching how badly other people are dealing with the anxiety of waiting :lol:

All good things come to he who waits Evenios, im sure it will be worth the wait!


Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:51 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 am
Posts: 213
Location: Dortmund, Germany
Reply with quote
Being one of the few lucky people how are allowed to test the VorpX Beta, i can tell it comes!
No words on when, but it will.

My personal feeling is like it will come some when with the consumer Version. But that's just my feeling not based on anything.

VorpX is worth it. Thats what I can tell you. But it's much more a consumer Product than Vireio is. Way more easy to setup and to Control. Not Mentioning the amount of allready official supported games and those who are not official supported but work anyway (mostly in 2d mode).

[EDIT] I hope the VorpX fans won't end like those impatient and rude people on the DayZ subreddit, who start a new Post like everyday with topics like: "Why Dayz SA should already be released" ,"I head the Developer died", "I know everything better than the Developer and I would it like this.."*.

In my mind it is his decision at what time he will release his Application. People should learn to be patient and respect the developers decisions - specially if it is about new technology.


* no real quotes

[Edit2] removed the part where I say he never said it will be out soon, his actual statement was it will be out shortly after the dev kits will arrive.. oops!

_________________
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Image


Last edited by Dakor on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.



Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am
Posts: 71
Reply with quote
I thought this project is already dead and moved on. Seems I was wrong?


Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:05 am
Profile
Certif-Eyable!

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 pm
Posts: 1139
Reply with quote
It would have been nice to know what games were already working so we could buy them in the steam summer sale. But I'm sure we'll get an update when he's not so rushed (or if he's like me, when he's not procrastinating so hard).

My main concern is whether it will let us have a realistic sense of depth or closeness, so we can walk up to a close object and have it feel close. That's difficult with his method, and Cymatic Bruce noticed that he wasn't getting that sensation. I'm still hoping it will give that sensation in the finished product.

I really don't think the project is dead.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 am
Posts: 213
Location: Dortmund, Germany
Reply with quote
2EyeGuy wrote:
It would have been nice to know what games were already working so we could buy them in the steam summer sale.


A list of some supported games was released in March: http://www.vorpx.com/games/
Without stereoscopic view almost every DirectX9 to 11 Title works. Once VorpX even hooked it self in Age of Empires 2 HD.

_________________
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Image


Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 am
Posts: 201
Reply with quote
Dakor wrote:

My personal feeling is like it will come some when with the consumer Version. But that's just my feeling not based on anything.

VorpX is worth it. That's what I can tell you. But it's much more a consumer Product than Vireio is. Way more easy to setup and to Control.


I don't think that really makes sense. If vorpX isn't out for many months (or longer if it's nearer the consumer release of Oculus) then other projects could more than likely surpass it in many ways. Vireio has lots of potential but just isn't a plug and play solution yet - yet being the important word. There's no reason to believe that Vireio can't be as 'friendly' as vorpX and it's already out and there seems to be plenty of talented people working on various things with it.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 am
Posts: 213
Location: Dortmund, Germany
Reply with quote
museumsteve wrote:
Dakor wrote:

My personal feeling is like it will come some when with the consumer Version. But that's just my feeling not based on anything.

VorpX is worth it. That's what I can tell you. But it's much more a consumer Product than Vireio is. Way more easy to setup and to Control.


I don't think that really makes sense. If vorpX isn't out for many months (or longer if it's nearer the consumer release of Oculus) then other projects could more than likely surpass it in many ways. Vireio has lots of potential but just isn't a plug and play solution yet - yet being the important word. There's no reason to believe that Vireio can't be as 'friendly' as vorpX and it's already out and there seems to be plenty of talented people working on various things with it.


As I said it is just my feeling. I was referring to the current (Beta) of VorpX and the current Release of Vireio not to any future Versions that may will exist some when, but I see your point.
Reminds me again on Dayz (=VorpX) and Infection (=Vireio) where people are having mostly the same discussion.

PS: don't get me wrong, I'm no official beta-tester who is closely is involved in the development. I got a copy of the current beta for writing a (p)review for Bloculus.

_________________
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Image


Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 am
Posts: 117
Reply with quote
The problem with any software is the people behind it. People are fallible. Don't hold any expectation of grandior, take it for what it is, and never look back, keep looking forward. Don't drink from an empty cup, it will not quench your thirst.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:41 pm
Posts: 50
Reply with quote
Dakor wrote:
He never said it will be out soon, or anything.


Hey did, actually. Check his blog and forum posts on his own site.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 am
Profile
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Posts: 5739
Reply with quote
Dakor wrote:
museumsteve wrote:
Dakor wrote:

My personal feeling is like it will come some when with the consumer Version. But that's just my feeling not based on anything.

VorpX is worth it. That's what I can tell you. But it's much more a consumer Product than Vireio is. Way more easy to setup and to Control.


I don't think that really makes sense. If vorpX isn't out for many months (or longer if it's nearer the consumer release of Oculus) then other projects could more than likely surpass it in many ways. Vireio has lots of potential but just isn't a plug and play solution yet - yet being the important word. There's no reason to believe that Vireio can't be as 'friendly' as vorpX and it's already out and there seems to be plenty of talented people working on various things with it.


As I said it is just my feeling. I was referring to the current (Beta) of VorpX and the current Release of Vireio not to any future Versions that may will exist some when, but I see your point.
Reminds me again on Dayz (=VorpX) and Infection (=Vireio) where people are having mostly the same discussion.

PS: don't get me wrong, I'm no official beta-tester who is closely is involved in the development. I got a copy of the current beta for writing a (p)review for Bloculus.



Yeah, this doesn't sit well with me either. Vireio is free open source drivers put together by volunteers, and we haven't publicized anything in quite awhile. The team is working on restoring functionality and toying with some experiments as well. I'm really tired of the hearsay posted on our forums comparing VorpX (which few people can actually try) and Vireio which is really out of date. I don't even know why it was brought up - it wasn't part of the conversation.

Let me set the record straight. The current version of Vireio sucks. It's in no way, shape or form the VR driver the community wants or intends it to be. It's an architectural proof of concept for something in the future that will be much better. Whether that's accomplished in weeks or months, I don't know yet - but we have a vision. I can't speak for VorpX. Haven't seen it or tried it, and I likely won't be able to until it's publicly available in some form. I would hope that it's magnitudes better than Vireio's current form - but I won't know until I can actually try it.

If you have C++ and DirectX skill, feel free to join up with the Vireio development team. We really just want to develop the best VR drivers possible and publicize them as they develop and grow more and more ready. It's a lot of fun and a great learning opportunity to be part of something like this, and all help is appreciated.

Regards,
Neil


Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 am
Posts: 213
Location: Dortmund, Germany
Reply with quote
Neil wrote:
Yeah, this doesn't sit well with me either. Vireio is free open source drivers put together by volunteers, and we haven't publicized anything in quite awhile. The team is working on restoring functionality and toying with some experiments as well. I'm really tired of the hearsay posted on our forums comparing VorpX (which few people can actually try) and Vireio which is really out of date. I don't even know why it was brought up - it wasn't part of the conversation.

Let me set the record straight. The current version of Vireio sucks. It's in no way, shape or form the VR driver the community wants or intends it to be. It's an architectural proof of concept for something in the future that will be much better. Whether that's accomplished in weeks or months, I don't know yet - but we have a vision. I can't speak for VorpX. Haven't seen it or tried it, and I likely won't be able to until it's publicly available in some form. I would hope that it's magnitudes better than Vireio's current form - but I won't know until I can actually try it.


Well I would not have said that Vireio is that bad, I actually like it since I am able to run some of my favorite games that I could not run with the VorpX beta. But for a Consumer it would be too complicated right now- but thats okay since its not designed for consumers(, yet) - while VorpX is.
I'm Sorry if anything I said made you upset.
If it sounded like I said VorpX will always be the better alternative or that Vireio will never be a good piece of Software, thats not what I meant.
In my mind waiting for Vireio is worth it as well ( I never said the opposite ) - like most people I love OpenSource Software. Specially because there is a higher chance that Vireo will support smaller games, that are not AAA title and because of the contact to the developers here in the forums. I'm looking forward for a stable build. (:

_________________
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Image


Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am
Profile WWW
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Posts: 5739
Reply with quote
I'm talking about the latest version. The simultaneous rendering is better than what we had before, but a lot of the compatibility got killed, and there is a lot of functionality we are working to restore.

It's ok to say things as they are. We are striving for better results. ;)

Regards,
Neil


Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 pm
Posts: 315
Reply with quote
ah your helping out the perception driver? well i gotta say you need to change the screen rendering . the longways rendering makes it appear black too much below you. and the head tracking seems a bit off. Perception has a long., long way to go before it can really be very useful. but im glad you are making progress. at least its something that people can actually use. unlike Vorpx which may never see the light of the day. Yeah excuse me if you dont like my rant. but someone asked about Vorpx so i posted my thoughts. dont like dont read it. but honestly maybe if enough of us complain to him to release vorpx already he might get off his butt and do so. but whatever.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
Evenios wrote:
Yeah excuse me if you dont like my rant. but someone asked about Vorpx so i posted my thoughts. dont like dont read it.


How are people supposed to know they are going to like/dislike something before even reading it?

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Reply with quote
Evenios wrote:
it had world of warcraft running and the current "mod" that has it working requires FOUR programs to run besides wow and littearly like 45 steps ...even then i coudnt get it to work right (most likely some stupid thing i didnt do)

(...)

what ticks me off more is the fact that i wanted so bad to play World of Warcraf and this other guy had a mod to get it to work for it.....i had a feeling it be something like it...and sure enough

you gotta run FOUR other programs at once to get it to work ...plus go through like 45 steps im not kidding. with all that crap its more likely something is going to mess up along the way....and sure enough i cant get the bloodly thing to work right. thats why we NEED AN INJECTION DRIVER so you dont have to use THREE OTHER PRGRAMS to get the bloody thing to work!


You do know you have an early version that is not even done, don´t you?
You should understand that early stuff that isn´t released is of course incomplete and overly complicated.
And you would know I am working on an installer if you would have read any of my posts in the World Of Warcraft thread.

The reason I told you not to talk about how it works/how you get it to work is because, the ENTIRE setup progress is going to CHANGE COMPLETELY.
But it seems like someone here forgot he is not supposed to talk about that.

Your posts create completely false expectations for the people interested in the mod.
People like you are the reason many project, like VorpX are being held back until they are perfect.

If you want something that works then don´t ask for something that is not even in alpha.
And about your injection drivers, go ahead and use them, but don´t complain to me when your account get´s banned.

Evenios wrote:
this is a DEV KIT it DOESNT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!

(...)

I dont know what dark hole he has been in for the last few months but apparently hes taking his sweet little time over this.

(...)

But no....this guy has to be mr profectionest . it really ticks me off i wrote a not so nice post on his forums over it.

(...)

... this guy is taking FOREVER and its ticking me off.


And here you are contradicting yourself, on one hand you are complaining about how something that is not even in alpha is to hard to install while saying on the other hand "it is a dev kit it does not have to perfect."

People like you are the reason that I hate consumers are able to buy the Oculus Rift dev kit.

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 5:25 pm
Posts: 9
Reply with quote
Hopefully his letting people wait a little to long will get some other developers out there to start making competition to vorpx. That should raise quality and lower prices if any. :)


Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:50 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm
Posts: 36
Reply with quote
A private developer doesn't owe anybody anything. If he wants to make the best thing ever, and never release it, then it's his prerogative. If you disagree, you can make your own version and do what you want with it, or wait for someone else to do the work for you.

Developing games is hard, and it's amazing to me how much stuff people are already putting out for free. People start projects all the time, then get burnt out. I'm sure it's happened to everyone here when they've been working on something.

Evenios, the gist of your rant seemed to be:

1. It's a DevKit, just release VorpX right now, even if it's not ready. I am entitled to it!
2. Other people who have already given out Alpha's, your stuff is bad because it isn't done yet.

That's exactly why developers don't always release their alpha builds... They work very hard on something and want to show what they have so far for free, and people rip it apart on forums. Can you really blame them?


Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 am
Posts: 201
Reply with quote
Marulu wrote:
Your posts create completely false expectations for the people interested in the mod.
People like you are the reason many project, like VorpX are being held back until they are perfect.

If you want something that works then don´t ask for something that is not even in alpha.
And about your injection drivers, go ahead and use them, but don´t complain to me when your account get´s banned.

Evenios wrote:
this is a DEV KIT it DOESNT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!

(...)

I dont know what dark hole he has been in for the last few months but apparently hes taking his sweet little time over this.

(...)

But no....this guy has to be mr profectionest . it really ticks me off i wrote a not so nice post on his forums over it.

(...)

... this guy is taking FOREVER and its ticking me off.


And here you are contradicting yourself, on one hand you are complaining about how something that is not even in alpha is to hard to install while saying on the other hand "it is a dev kit it does not have to perfect."

People like you are the reason that I hate consumers are able to buy the Oculus Rift dev kit.


You speak for so many of us ;)


Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:39 pm
Profile
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Posts: 5739
Reply with quote
Ok...come one guys. There isn't anything here to get all that angry over.

Regards,
Neil


Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 138
Reply with quote
Neil wrote:
Let me set the record straight. The current version of Vireio sucks. It's in no way, shape or form the VR driver the community wants or intends it to be. It's an architectural proof of concept for something in the future that will be much better.

Im glad you said it because it does suck bigtime, its obviously the dual rendering that has broken things, however if the current version gets back to 1.5beta compatibility its only a matter of adding a UI with profiles to give it mass market appeal.

Im going to stick my foot in it but you need to sort out whatever the hell Chris got pissed at and try and consolidate the drivers rather than have spin off branches and incompatible merges that benefit noone. Verio as a project should be the one advancing not everyone having their own spin off. Its important!.


Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Posts: 5739
Reply with quote
lmimmfn wrote:
Im glad you said it because it does suck bigtime, its obviously the dual rendering that has broken things, however if the current version gets back to 1.5beta compatibility its only a matter of adding a UI with profiles to give it mass market appeal.

Im going to stick my foot in it but you need to sort out whatever the hell Chris got pissed at and try and consolidate the drivers rather than have spin off branches and incompatible merges that benefit noone. Verio as a project should be the one advancing not everyone having their own spin off. Its important!.



This whole forking and driver division business wasn't our idea at all, and some things are just beyond our control. There has to be a willingness or a basic effort to try and work together on all sides. The group invested a lot of time and email bandwidth to try and understand and resolve this. What it comes down to is if someone adamantly doesn't want to work with you - they won't work with you. As unfortunate and unexpected as this turn of events was, we had to roll with the punches and move on to new territory.

Chris moved on to do whatever he wants to do, and we wish him luck. As for Vireio, we got some new talented developers working on things, and I'm confident we'll get things back in shape. I really just want Vireio to be a fun project again, and I think we are getting back into that space.

Regards,
Neil


Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 689
Location: Ahmedabad//INDIA
Reply with quote
cegli wrote:
A private developer doesn't owe anybody anything. If he wants to make the best thing ever, and never release it, then it's his prerogative. If you disagree, you can make your own version and do what you want with it, or wait for someone else to do the work for you.

Developing games is hard, and it's amazing to me how much stuff people are already putting out for free. People start projects all the time, then get burnt out. I'm sure it's happened to everyone here when they've been working on something.

Evenios, the gist of your rant seemed to be:

1. It's a DevKit, just release VorpX right now, even if it's not ready. I am entitled to it!
2. Other people who have already given out Alpha's, your stuff is bad because it isn't done yet.

That's exactly why developers don't always release their alpha builds... They work very hard on something and want to show what they have so far for free, and people rip it apart on forums. Can you really blame them?


Only Friend, Employee or PainSharingPal of Ralf Ostertag can post this man what are you??
But i m totally agree with your view. its reality we want perfect product we still want it fast and though we say we are ok with unfinished product early we are still unforgiving in critising unfinished product even if its free (Only Virieo im talking as VorpX is nowhere now)...so its TOO HUMAN, WE ALL WANT MORE & THATS WHY WE ARE PROGRESSING!!

But im FULLY SUPPORTING EVENIOS too. RALF is one who said he will release it with devkit. he kept mum for longer period of time. he was one being deplomate in giving release dates

Workable soultion is releasing limited functinality DEMO. Locked on 01 or 02 Games (Mass effect3 & OR BIOSHOCK which he already demo) for those who are ready to pay in advance.

What can be wrong in that? he can ask for partial 20% or 40% Advance and send demo to those who paid it. When release full version supply those who pay remaining amount.

Atleast those who have RiFT can Taste Whats being COOKED UP FROM SO LONG??


Last edited by Dilip on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:56 am
Profile
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 am
Posts: 733
Location: Brighton, UK
Reply with quote
Dilip wrote:
Only Friend, Employee or PainSharingPal of Ralf Ostertag can post this man what are you??
But im FULLY SUPPORTING EVENIOS too.

I object to Evenois's post - not because I think that VorpX is "above" criticism (constructive criticism is never, ever a bad thing) - but because his post was a stupid, incoherent, self-contradictory rambling mess; lacking not only understanding, but any attention to spelling, grammar, or form. It is a stream of consciousness with absolutely no editing. Because he is too lazy to review his own post(s), he instead forces every single reader to expel that effort instead.
"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do."

His post can be condensed into the following:
  • I am disappointed VorpX is not yet freely available
  • I am disappointed that VorpX is conducting a closed beta, as opposed to an open beta
  • I am disappointed VorpX has missed the announced release date
  • I would like more news updates on VorpX, as I think that news has been scarce
  • I think VorpX deserves to fail because of the above

The fact that it takes him over 1100 words to cover the above topics is shameful.

_________________
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.


Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 541
Reply with quote
That fact that you read more than 2 sentences of it, amuses me.

_________________
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!


Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm
Posts: 90
Reply with quote
Ralf has dropped the ball, and I'm disappointed. VorpX is a good example of how not to do customer relations. Not being able to fulfill release date estimations is ok and happens all the time, but you shouldn't just disappear from the public and not release any information about the development of the driver and the causes of the delay.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:59 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 am
Posts: 188
Location: Bavaria
Reply with quote
LNQ wrote:
Ralf has dropped the ball, and I'm disappointed. VorpX is a good example of how not to do customer relations. Not being able to fulfill release date estimations is ok and happens all the time, but you shouldn't just disappear from the public and not release any information about the development of the driver and the causes of the delay.


+10 -

i agree !

absolutely no news regarding VORPX ist a no go for me ...
OK he can do what ever he wants, but it is not fair to show hungry people the biggest sausages - but they are not for sale ...

best regards FR3D

_________________
best regards FR3D


Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:19 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 am
Posts: 34
Reply with quote
"mr profectionest" :lol: :D


Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:57 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 pm
Posts: 262
Reply with quote
Guys please,

The last update on the original thread was ~3 weeks ago:

... Seriously: Things are just taking a little bit more time. Partly due some newly added features, partly due to some other work that needs my attention. ...

As much as I can understand that some of you are getting impatiant, that is still the state of affairs. I would really like to work exclusively on vorpX, but like most of you I have to work for (serious) money too, which is eating away nearly all of my time ATM.

Getting something ready for a broader audience has still high priority, but things take as long as they take. Sorry. :)


Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:47 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 am
Posts: 188
Location: Bavaria
Reply with quote
MaterialDefender wrote:
Guys please,

The last update on the original thread was ~3 weeks ago:

... Seriously: Things are just taking a little bit more time. Partly due some newly added features, partly due to some other work that needs my attention. ...

As much as I can understand that some of you are getting impatiant, that is still the state of affairs. I would really like to work exclusively on vorpX, but like most of you I have to work for (serious) money too, which is eating away nearly all of my time ATM.

Getting something ready for a broader audience has still high priority, but things take as long as they take. Sorry. :)


Nice to hear that you and VORPX are still alive ...

best regards FR3D

_________________
best regards FR3D


Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:21 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:27 pm
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
FR3D wrote:
MaterialDefender wrote:
Guys please,

The last update on the original thread was ~3 weeks ago:

... Seriously: Things are just taking a little bit more time. Partly due some newly added features, partly due to some other work that needs my attention. ...

As much as I can understand that some of you are getting impatiant, that is still the state of affairs. I would really like to work exclusively on vorpX, but like most of you I have to work for (serious) money too, which is eating away nearly all of my time ATM.

Getting something ready for a broader audience has still high priority, but things take as long as they take. Sorry. :)


Nice to hear that you and VORPX are still alive ...

best regards FR3D


I saw his post of 7/25 and definitely agree. Communication discloses life. This is a perfect project to offer on Kickstarter or equivalent. I'd contribute to get him on it full time or even hire some help.

Upon further reflection I'd guess the Rift community is still too small to provide him a living while he's developing. Palmer should kick him down some of the $16,000,000 he got. :-)


Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:20 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 22
Reply with quote
I wanted to make a big post with a bunch of nonsensical crying to satirize the entire subject, but someone beat me to it.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 41
Reply with quote
Keep bitching and it will cost 60$ instead of 40$ :lol:


Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:26 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 689
Location: Ahmedabad//INDIA
Reply with quote
TheHolyChicken wrote:
Dilip wrote:
Only Friend, Employee or PainSharingPal of Ralf Ostertag can post this man what are you??
But im FULLY SUPPORTING EVENIOS too.

I object to Evenois's post - not because I think that VorpX is "above" criticism (constructive criticism is never, ever a bad thing) - but because his post was a stupid, incoherent, self-contradictory rambling mess; lacking not only understanding, but any attention to spelling, grammar, or form. It is a stream of consciousness with absolutely no editing. Because he is too lazy to review his own post(s), he instead forces every single reader to expel that effort instead.
"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do."

His post can be condensed into the following:
  • I am disappointed VorpX is not yet freely available
  • I am disappointed that VorpX is conducting a closed beta, as opposed to an open beta
  • I am disappointed VorpX has missed the announced release date
  • I would like more news updates on VorpX, as I think that news has been scarce
  • I think VorpX deserves to fail because of the above

The fact that it takes him over 1100 words to cover the above topics is shameful.


I ment by FULLY SUPPORTING EVENOIS is supporting extract that "He waited for long time, He expeted Open Beta and he wants more updates" from his "long expression of feelings"

Best condensing by you :-)

I do not support his 'RANT' though.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 am
Posts: 159
Reply with quote
Oh look, another wall of fail posted by Evenios.

I see things haven't changed in the couple months I've been gone. :lol:


Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 689
Location: Ahmedabad//INDIA
Reply with quote
MaterialDefender wrote:
Guys please,

The last update on the original thread was ~3 weeks ago:

... Seriously: Things are just taking a little bit more time. Partly due some newly added features, partly due to some other work that needs my attention. ...

As much as I can understand that some of you are getting impatiant, that is still the state of affairs. I would really like to work exclusively on vorpX, but like most of you I have to work for (serious) money too, which is eating away nearly all of my time ATM.

Getting something ready for a broader audience has still high priority, but things take as long as they take. Sorry. :)


its good to see responce from you.


Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyable!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:38 am
Posts: 990
Reply with quote
It looks to me like the reason for the branching off is because someone wanted to commercialize it and caused a rift (geddit? Semi-intentional pun) in the development community. I wonder about the ethics of doing so using an open source project as the base, but whatever. I may be wrong, but just the way it seems.
Regarding all the complaints that he hasn't released it, etc... WTF? Probably be nice to have, but he has no obligation to actually create the drivers in the first place, so if he wants to delay his product (potentially giving a competitor a lead), the so be it.
Has the average age of posters on this forum gone back by 10 years (or to 10 years old maybe) in the last 6 months, or is it just my perception?
I WANT I WANT I WANT THERE DUMB IT SHOULD ALL BE MY WAY. Ok, so that's immature too. Just getting in with the crowd


Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.