TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

User avatar
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 am

TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by museumsteve »

I know there's a separate TriDef forum but thought maybe a dedicated thread here for people to discuss how they're getting on with TriDef 3D's beta Rift option.
Be good to hear what games are working well and any game specific tweaks people have found.
I want to try it out tonight with some racers but I have guests tonight..I'll see if I can sneak in an hour of testing at some time.

User avatar
mrgrey
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: England
Contact:

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by mrgrey »

Great news regarding Tridef support. I bought the drivers 12 months ago to use on my 3d tv. The trouble is my tv is in the lounge and my pretty heavy rig is up 2 floors, so I can count on 1 hand how many times I have brought it down and used the drivers.

I had the 'will advance to processing in 24 hours' email yesterday so will be able to test Tridef with my Rift hopefully soon.

Most looking forward to Skyrim, Crysis and Metro Last Light.

User avatar
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Drewbdoo »

I have heard a great deal of good things about TriDef in the past - never owned a 3d device until the rift however. I'm excited to try it out though, mostly because Fallout 3 is on the list :D

User avatar
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: England

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by zacherynuk »

Seems good - just tried Dark Messiah demo and it works much better than vario ...

User avatar
mattyeatsmatts
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Halo CE works pretty well
Settings
Halo Game Settings
Sensitivity = 1
Resolution 1280x800
No Vsync

Tridef settings (open with numpad 0)
3D Settings
Scene Depth = 1
HMD Settings
Force FOV = GAME
Game FOV = 100 to 110 is best (although sides of game glitch a bit but meh still very playable)
OSD Depth = 0.01

thats it, although u can change other settings but this plays good to me!

heres a screengrab
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7589/zxy2.png

sorry for the poopy quality but I didnt know what I was doing
Last edited by mattyeatsmatts on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by baggyg »

Just bought and installed today.

First tried out Bioshock (1). OKish sense of depth, didn't find anything very close or very far away - perhaps I need to set the convergence differently. Few artifacts (shadows / reflections).

Options in game are great in terms of altering the screen FOV etc. Its very easy to use. However headtracking is a bit of a nightmare. Automatic mode shifts a lot and manual mode takes an age to update to the right figures. I resorted to using freePIE instead although I then lose the ability to roll. Would be better if these were in the game profile properties through Ignition so you could just set these initially and then fine tune in game.

The other thing that would be great would be if you could set a hotkey to quickly force the output FOV to about 70, and then click again for the previous FOV. This would then allow you to easily see menus etc and then flick back to "game" mode. (A bit like vorpX was planning).

Will report back when I have had a play with other games.

Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Bellingham
Contact:

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Vamplifire »

So far the games I've heard about working are:
Metro 2033
World of warcraft
GTAIV
Fallout 3
Modern warfare 3
Lego Lord of the rings
Street Fighter X Tekken

I'm at work for the next 6 hours! this is going to kill me! Will try my library when i get home and update on what off my steam list works! :woot

Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Bellingham
Contact:

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Vamplifire »

Can someone please try oblivion?

User avatar
FR3D
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)
Location: Bavaria

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by FR3D »

I've tried Fallout3 and Skyrim.
The framerate drops down to 5 fps or less !!!

NewVegas not starting ...

( All my games are extremly modded with tons of high res texture mods - maybe thats my problem )

3770k / 16GByte / 2x 580gtx SLI

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D

Valez
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:09 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Valez »

New Vegas works for me.

The fps drop in Skyrim is brutal. :(

User avatar
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Contact:

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Marulu »

Games I have tried that worked:

- Skyrim
- Borderlands
- Borderlands 2
- Dead Island
- World Of Warcraft
- Star Trek (2013)
- GTA IV
- GTA IV Liberty City
- Portal
- Portal 2
- Mirrors edge
- Garrys mod
- Black Mesa
- Alan Wake
- Alan Wake American Nightmare
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/

HappyHimitsu
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by HappyHimitsu »

Marulu wrote:Games I have tried that worked:

- Skyrim
- Borderlands
- Borderlands 2
- Dead Island
- World Of Warcraft
- Star Trek (2013)
- GTA IV
- GTA IV Liberty City
- Portal
- Portal 2
- Mirrors edge
- Garrys mod
- Black Mesa
- Alan Wake
- Alan Wake American Nightmare
Dead Island needs shadows to be turned off (in video.scr) and it renders at an odd depth, not sure how to fix it but it is far from comfortable.
If by 'work' you mean 'boots up with tridef' than I can understand. However, being a Tridef user for years I can confirm that quite often things generally need quite a bit of tweaking to look right.
Care to share your settings? :)

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Lilwolf »

How/How well does it handling head tracking?

User avatar
Likay
Petrif-Eyed
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D Projector Setup
Location: Sweden

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Likay »

I can imagine that the headtracking feature is what will need some extra attention since Tridef until now only handled stereoscopy. I can also imagine that this will be better with time if DDD is serious about vr. Time will tell for sure.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Image

HappyHimitsu
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by HappyHimitsu »

Headtracking does seem a little bit 'off' in some games. In Metro 2033 it seems to lag quite a bit, but not too much to make it unplayable.
I figured out the previous problems with depth, I just needed to turn depth way down in Tridef and increase the FOV in the user.cfg. I had it set high from a previous config I was using on my 3dtv.
I can tell that this has some serious potential!!! :)

Leahy
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm
Location: France

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Leahy »

Tried forcing directx 9 mode (-dx9) in the command line in both the program file and in steam for Bioshock Infinite but had no luck. It was the first game listed so I figure it has to be something on my end.. If anyone else gets it going please chime into this thread.

Spent an hour in Alice Madness returns which was really cool when it works, however certain parts are unplayable due to how messed up the 3d gets

User avatar
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Ashok »

Does Portal 2 work with the native Hydra controls? And does it have separate head tracking?

Leahy
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm
Location: France

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Leahy »

Ashok wrote:Does Portal 2 work with the native Hydra controls? And does it have separate head tracking?
Tried it very briefly and got it to load up, still haven't tried it with the hydra. I figure Valve is eventually going to have their own -vr mode soon enough

stevetb
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by stevetb »

Leahy wrote:Tried forcing directx 9 mode (-dx9) in the command line in both the program file and in steam for Bioshock Infinite but had no luck. It was the first game listed so I figure it has to be something on my end.. If anyone else gets it going please chime into this thread.

Spent an hour in Alice Madness returns which was really cool when it works, however certain parts are unplayable due to how messed up the 3d gets
Bioshock 2 is said to be supported, not Bioshock Infinite.

Leahy
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm
Location: France

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Leahy »

stevetb wrote:
Leahy wrote:Tried forcing directx 9 mode (-dx9) in the command line in both the program file and in steam for Bioshock Infinite but had no luck. It was the first game listed so I figure it has to be something on my end.. If anyone else gets it going please chime into this thread.

Spent an hour in Alice Madness returns which was really cool when it works, however certain parts are unplayable due to how messed up the 3d gets
Bioshock 2 is said to be supported, not Bioshock Infinite.
Funny how much I re-read their thread not seeing that :oops: Going to dig up Bioshock 1 and 2 and see how that works

Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Applemung »

Games that I have tried

Call of duty 4
Borderlands 2
Metro 2033
Killing floor

I get a weird thing with my Oculus tracking in some games, the head up and down tracking is inverted.
This can be changed in the menu for the HMD, set the tracking to manual and change pitch to a positive value opposite to what it states.
Example: if it states a value of -521 then press Ctrl+6 (numpad) until the value reaches 521 and vice versa. This only happened to me in
Borderlands 2 and Metro 2033.

Call of duty 4 Works well, takes a bit of setting up to get the Iron sights to look right and get near field in focus. Had a tonne of fun with this.

Borderlands 2: (Had the inverted pitch) I think this game shows the current limitations of the Rift DK. Close combat and mid distance fights are ok. But when you get out in the open objects in the distance become unfocused simply because of pixelation. Scenery like cliffs even in the distance look good but as soon as you need to see detail
in the distance forget about it. Good thing I have the assassin class :). My biggest issue is finding the balance between immersion and detail. Played this game the most so far as I played with a couple of mates. You really get a good sense of scale when those badasses come at you!

Metro 2033: (had inverted pitch) Works great, need to get my omni built and this game would be a heap of fun. Not much more to say

Killing floor still has no head tracking but seems to work better than vireio in terms of not getting strange artefacts when changing settings mid game.
Also in Tridef the menus are mostly visible in game and accessible without taking off the Oculus. The best bit I like about Tridef is the laser pointer! Gotta find out how to turn off the cross-hair in games as they always have something funky with them, it's like they are at the wrong depth, the feeling is like you have a cats hair in your eye. I suppose that's why killing floor is so much fun, no cross-hair and when you pull up the iron sights its like you are actually looking down the barrel! Only thing missing the damn head tracking!!

User avatar
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by IGameArt »

I played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for a good while on this. I wish i knew exactly what setting i needed to adjust to get the game to take up more screen space. Other than that the experience was top notch. The frame rate in blood dragon is super high, solid 60 fps in VR mode. The head tracking sensitivity in some games needs desperate attention, such as Skyrim, Yaw is too high while Pitch is too low.

Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Other
Location: Bellingham
Contact:

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Vamplifire »

hmmmmm homefront displays 4 images not 2? thats no good

Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Tacklebait »

Anyone try or going to try Arma 2? or more specifically Take on Helicopters?

Or Flight Simulator X?

i'm definatly interested in the flying sims.

stevetb
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by stevetb »

These work for me:
Borderlands 2
Goldeneye Source (HL2 Mod)
Left 4 Dead
Street Fighter 4
Dishonored

These did not work for me:
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Strike Suit Zero
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
Batman: Arkham City
Portal

Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Applemung »

Could you elaborate as to what was not working??

stevetb
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by stevetb »

Applemung wrote:Could you elaborate as to what was not working??
Yes, I will elaborate. The driver does not inject properly with these games.

-Steve

stevetb
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by stevetb »

Working:
Orcs Must Die
Microsoft Flight

Not Working:
Call of Duty - Black Ops 2
Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3
Diablo 3
Toki Tori
Last edited by stevetb on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Applemung »

That would most likely be because you are trying DX10 - 11 games, the Tri def only supports DX9 at the moment.

EDIT: some of those games are compatible with DX9 (have to force DX9) but others do not support DX9.

Mattijs
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Mattijs »

i was super thrilled to try it yesterday but had guests so couldnt...does that beta work with the 14 day trial too?

Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Applemung »

I installed the main Tridef drivers and activated my 14 day trial and then installed the Tridef Beta. The beta works from the 14 day trial.
I'm not sure if it will work after that period expires.

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by baggyg »

IGameArt wrote:I played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for a good while on this. I wish i knew exactly what setting i needed to adjust to get the game to take up more screen space. Other than that the experience was top notch. The frame rate in blood dragon is super high, solid 60 fps in VR mode. The head tracking sensitivity in some games needs desperate attention, such as Skyrim, Yaw is too high while Pitch is too low.
Press 0 to get the ingame menu up. Scroll down to HMD settings. Change the Force FOV to Output and then change the output FOV to higher (I have found around 110 is best).

You can also adjust the headtracking sensitivity yourself.

User avatar
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed
Posts: 2466
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:35 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Kiev, ukraine

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by yuriythebest »

hopefully the consumer version will come "bundled" with these drivers - just like LG wisely did with its 3D displays
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

User avatar
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by museumsteve »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far :) It's all pretty promising.
Like Mattijs I had guests last night so couldn't try it :(
Mattijs, you can use it with the trial version.

For anyone using an AMD can get 50% off. I did it last night (couldn't try games but did purchase this and discount worked)
http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5
I saw the link yesterday on reddit, credit to erikvonvicious :)

lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by lmimmfn »

museumsteve wrote:For anyone using an AMD can get 50% off. I did it last night (couldn't try games but did purchase this and discount worked)
http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5
I saw the link yesterday on reddit, credit to erikvonvicious :)
haha, yeah i used that last night also, couldnt resist as i want to go through most of my games to see what does/doesnt work.

User avatar
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by JustJoshin »

I will start out by saying that I don't think any of these experiences compare to the overall experience I had playing and finishing HL2 in VR. HL2 obviously has the advantage of receiving a bit more love and attention from valve to retrofit it. Designed for VR is always going to be better than retro fitted which in turn is going to be better than driver enabled so with expectations in check....

Fallout 3

Generally speaking fallout 3 played pretty well. The default profile has it set to an FOV of 65 which places the screen out in front of you with a huge black box around the side so it isn't very immersive at all. If you increase the FOV to wrap around you it feels very zoomed in and you also completely lose the UI (common in most games). Additionally, the size of objects and scale seemed quite odd. Generally speaking the stereoscopic 3d and head tracking (mapped to mouse) worked fine. It's these other areas that obviously let it down.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Surprisingly this worked fairly well. The sense of depth wasn't amazing but it felt better than playing on a 2d screen. Immersion wasn't too bad as you don't' really need to see your speedometer and what not anyway so HUD issues are less important in this game. What is possibly even more evident in car games than in FPS games is the extreme lack of resolution. Cars more than one or two car lengths away just look like blobs, you can't look out into the distance and see where a road is properly curving etc. Objects just don't have enough detail and I guess car games traverse distance greater than FPS games so it is a bit more noticeable.

Deus Ex Human Revolution

I need to go back and try this one a little more before I make a final judgement on it. I wasn't as blown away as I was hoping to be. This just seemed like the perfect game / setting for it. Would be a great one to retrofit but I doubt it will ever happen.

Metro Last Light

Work well. I think the default profile bumps the FOV up from 55 to 90. Even at 90 world scale is a little strange and your arm length and weapon are quite long. Metro LL is an amazingly immersive game to begin with and in terms of putting you into the thick of things it was great. I may have to go back and do a new play through in VR. I just wish the resolution was higher because Metro LL is a beautiful game.

Far Cry 3

Need to do some more testing and tweaking of values. I didn't find the overall experience too good though tbh.

The resolution of the dev kit didn't really bother me in HL2. I just had a blast all the way through to the end (20hr play through). Having played Deus Ex, Metro LL and NFS Hot Pursuit with the TriDef driver I just couldn't help but crave a higher resolution panel. The oculus rift support is only experimental at this stage so the overall experience / support could still get a bit better. I will do another update once I get some time to play around with some more games in TriDef before my trial is up.

Mattijs
Cross Eyed!
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:46 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Mattijs »

has anybody tried the original crysis or warhead?
Must be fun to just stroll around that island...

User avatar
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV
Location: BB, Slovakia

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by baggyg »

JustJoshin wrote:I will start out by saying that I don't think any of these experiences compare to the overall experience I had playing and finishing HL2 in VR. HL2 obviously has the advantage of receiving a bit more love and attention from valve to retrofit it. Designed for VR is always going to be better than retro fitted which in turn is going to be better than driver enabled so with expectations in check....

Fallout 3

Generally speaking fallout 3 played pretty well. The default profile has it set to an FOV of 65 which places the screen out in front of you with a huge black box around the side so it isn't very immersive at all. If you increase the FOV to wrap around you it feels very zoomed in and you also completely lose the UI (common in most games). Additionally, the size of objects and scale seemed quite odd. Generally speaking the stereoscopic 3d and head tracking (mapped to mouse) worked fine. It's these other areas that obviously let it down.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Surprisingly this worked fairly well. The sense of depth wasn't amazing but it felt better than playing on a 2d screen. Immersion wasn't too bad as you don't' really need to see your speedometer and what not anyway so HUD issues are less important in this game. What is possibly even more evident in car games than in FPS games is the extreme lack of resolution. Cars more than one or two car lengths away just look like blobs, you can't look out into the distance and see where a road is properly curving etc. Objects just don't have enough detail and I guess car games traverse distance greater than FPS games so it is a bit more noticeable.

Deus Ex Human Revolution

I need to go back and try this one a little more before I make a final judgement on it. I wasn't as blown away as I was hoping to be. This just seemed like the perfect game / setting for it. Would be a great one to retrofit but I doubt it will ever happen.

Metro Last Light

Work well. I think the default profile bumps the FOV up from 55 to 90. Even at 90 world scale is a little strange and your arm length and weapon are quite long. Metro LL is an amazingly immersive game to begin with and in terms of putting you into the thick of things it was great. I may have to go back and do a new play through in VR. I just wish the resolution was higher because Metro LL is a beautiful game.

Far Cry 3

Need to do some more testing and tweaking of values. I didn't find the overall experience too good though tbh.

The resolution of the dev kit didn't really bother me in HL2. I just had a blast all the way through to the end (20hr play through). Having played Deus Ex, Metro LL and NFS Hot Pursuit with the TriDef driver I just couldn't help but crave a higher resolution panel. The oculus rift support is only experimental at this stage so the overall experience / support could still get a bit better. I will do another update once I get some time to play around with some more games in TriDef before my trial is up.
Where issues around the FOV are present (I.e. in your Fallout 3 review above) can you let us know is forcing the FOV through the TriDEF OSD worked (both output and game)? Lots os reviewers are missing these settings and therefore not getting the best experience.

Also you should be able to change this in Fallout 3
Update: You can now permanently set the FOV in the game by adding the fDefaultWorldFOV variable to Fallout.ini.

Paintbrush
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 am

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Paintbrush »

Anyone tried Mirror's Edge yet?

User avatar
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by TheHolyChicken »

yuriythebest wrote:hopefully the consumer version will come "bundled" with these drivers - just like LG wisely did with its 3D displays
While such drivers I think are great for 3D content in general, I would strongly disagree in the case of the Rift - I would prefer if consumers could only get natively supported games working easily.

Why? Non-supported games, made "compatible" with driver hacks, are not unlikely to suffer from one or more of:
  • 3D depth issues [uncomfortable viewing]
  • Rendering issues, eg shadows, reflections [uncomfortable viewing]
  • Non-Rift compatible GUI [hampers gameplay]
  • Potential headtracking issues [nausea]
  • Latency [nausea]
  • Control schemes unsuited for VR, eg no keyhole aiming [nausea/hampers gameplay]
  • The game breaking the "laws" of VR, such as commandeering the player's headtracking, shaking/moving the screen [nausea]
  • ...
Any combination of these effects are likely to cause the user to have an unpleasant (or, at minimum, non-optimal) experience. A 3D display with bad 3D is just a bit uncomfortable to look at; a title with bad Rift support can not only be uncomfortable to look at, but can also cause the user to feel really, REALLY ill. This would reflect very badly on the Rift, likely causing a lot of unnecessary bad press & bad reputation, and potentially hampering the future uptake of VR on the whole.

I'm not saying these drivers shouldn't exist, but frankly I only want to see them in the hands of expert users who fully appreciate what they're potentially putting themselves in for.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Post Reply

Return to “Oculus VR”