It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 VirtualReality.io - Oculus Rift App Launcher & Downloader 
Author Message
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Launching now: http://www.virtualreality.io

I've been working on this project for a while and thought it was a good time to start sharing. VirtualReality.io is free 3D VR software that connects you to other VR apps, without having to configure anything or take off your Rift. It allows you to browse, download, and launch VR apps all inside of a VR world. I'm confident that this approach will be the way we all do VR in the future, and I think this project is a good start.

Image

My goal is to build the world's largest library of seamlessly connected VR software.

Would love to hear your feedback. It's just one guy, me, doing all the coding, art, and management. I'm curious if other folks like using the software. I know it's already my preferred way to browse and download VR content. I hope it will become yours as well.

Thanks, have fun, and let me know if it works for you :)

Introduction Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKdTPa2UAg
Getting Started Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGG9ZkGdq0M

Matt Sonic
VirtualReality.io


Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:13 am
Posts: 427
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Reply with quote
Looks great, will be sure to check it out as soon as I get my rift. Is it possible to remove applications as well frowned inside the software?


Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:48 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 am
Posts: 206
Reply with quote
Hi Matt,

how can i exit this program in Windows?
Alt+Tab, windows-key and ctrl-alt-delete-running taskmanager is not any help!

Thank you.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 am
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm
Posts: 135
Reply with quote
@mr.uu:
I didnt tried it, but try "ALT+F4"


Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 am
Posts: 206
Reply with quote
Will try if my Steam download of WarThunder is ready...
Had to reset my rig last time to close the app.
@Matt: a clean and easy exit-button in the app would be nice ;)
aaaand why can't i download without an account? Okay, no stats then, but really necessary?
...have to subscribe to google, till now could avoid it....


Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:51 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
virror wrote:
Looks great, will be sure to check it out as soon as I get my rift. Is it possible to remove applications as well frowned inside the software?


Hi virror,

Thanks! I haven't added application removal yet. It's on the list of items to complete soon. Right now, I'm seeing what folks need the most. I've added this idea to the feedback area:

http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337362-let-me-delete-apps


Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
mr.uu wrote:
Hi Matt,

how can i exit this program in Windows?
Alt+Tab, windows-key and ctrl-alt-delete-running taskmanager is not any help!

Thank you.


Only one of the apps requires the Alt-F4 trick (Frequency Domain). All the others should close with the Escape key.

I'm probably going to remove Frequency Domain until that gets resolved, but it's such a *cool app* that I just really wanted it for launch. Thanks for the feedback. I've added your idea the feedback forum here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337374-make-all-apps-close-with-the-escape-key


Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
mr.uu wrote:
Will try if my Steam download of WarThunder is ready...
Had to reset my rig last time to close the app.
@Matt: a clean and easy exit-button in the app would be nice ;)
aaaand why can't i download without an account? Okay, no stats then, but really necessary?
...have to subscribe to google, till now could avoid it....


Re: Exit Button - Totally agree. It's up the app developer to implement this functionality. I'm looking into other options...

Re: Login Requirement - I'm mulling this over right now. It's to prevent 2 things: 1) bandwidth hogging from other sites and 2) valid ratings and download counts. I want app developers to know that no one is gaming the charts. If I can link every download and rating to an account, then it's much easier to say that the rankings are correct.

If folks really, really hate the login, then I might yank it and come up with something better... But it's first stab, and I know that it is a good move for developers. But, it might be the wrong move for the players. We'll see.

Also, you can vote on the Login changes here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general I'm basically letting users vote on the next features that get built.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt


Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 am
Posts: 206
Reply with quote
mattsonic wrote:
mr.uu wrote:
Hi Matt,

how can i exit this program in Windows?
Alt+Tab, windows-key and ctrl-alt-delete-running taskmanager is not any help!

Thank you.


Only one of the apps requires the Alt-F4 trick (Frequency Domain). All the others should close with the Escape key.

I'm probably going to remove Frequency Domain until that gets resolved, but it's such a *cool app* that I just really wanted it for launch. Thanks for the feedback. I've added your idea the feedback forum here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337374-make-all-apps-close-with-the-escape-key


Hmm, i ment an exit button for the virtualreality.io software, not for the apps. I was calling your software an app (short for application), my fault! I couldn't download anything yet, because of the lack of an account at google or facebook. I was just starting the software (or call it portal?), looks all very polished on the rift, but couldn't find a way to exit it, just by pc-reset. Will try Alt-F4 tomorrow...


Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:23 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm
Posts: 34
Location: England
Reply with quote
Hi Matt, cool idea. (I`m the one who first replied to your Youtube video about the page not working last week BTW ;) )

Unfortunately for me it isn't working as designed:

Firstly the `Please put your oculus on now` screen is hard to focus on, I really have to strain my eyes.
Once in the app it changes the resolution of my Rift which is cloned to my desktop set at 1920 x 1080 so an annoying notice appears in my right eye to say resolution has changed...more eye strain shenanigans :?
I signed in with my Facebook account, having to take off the Rift to see my keyboard which probably defeats the original object of the program. :D
I then clicked on a few demos to download and it just kind of hung: the cursor seemed to lose focus so I have your black cursor stuck in place and my original cursor which flits from eye to eye depending where on the screen it is. My head tracking also does not work.
I concur that there needs to be a way to quit your app as even the old CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't work to get to the task manager to shut it down from there. After reading your reply below I reloaded the app and indeed you can exit with the escape key...oops. Perhaps I couldn't because of the previous problem?

My system has Windows 8 64bit running if this makes a difference.

Sorry if I come across all negative, I really think this is a great idea once the bugs are ironed out and you have more content on there - keep it up!


Last edited by mrgrey on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
mr.uu wrote:
Hmm, i ment an exit button for the virtualreality.io software, not for the apps. I was calling your software an app (short for application), my fault! I couldn't download anything yet, because of the lack of an account at google or facebook. I was just starting the software (or call it portal?), looks all very polished on the rift, but couldn't find a way to exit it, just by pc-reset. Will try Alt-F4 tomorrow...


Ohhh...yeah you can quit it using the escape key. That said, it wouldn't be hard to give it a close button as well. Thanks for the feedback! Added the feature request here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337462-add-close-button-to-the-launchpad


Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
mrgrey wrote:
Unfortunately fore put your oculus on now` screen is hard to focus on, I really have to strain my eyes.


Thanks for the feedback! You're not the first to suggest this fix. I'm tracking it here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337429-loading-screen-does-not-converge-for-my-eyes

I know it's a pain right now, and I'm going to get it fixed for a future release. The convergence settings need to be adjusted depending on your Oculus Rift profile.

mrgrey wrote:
Once in the app it changes the resolution of my Rift which is cloned to my desktop set at 1920 x 1080 so an annoying notice appears in my right eye to say resolution has changed...more eye strain shenanigans :?


Hmmmm....that's pretty weird. Is it the blue window that comes from the Rift whenever the resolution changes? I hate that thing.

mrgrey wrote:
I signed in with my Facebook account, having to take off the Rift to see my keyboard which probably defeats the original object of the program. :D


Agreed. Not sure what the best way to solve that problem is. Luckily, after you've signed in, you shouldn't ever have to do it again. I suppose you could sign in at startup, but that kinda sucks, too.

mrgrey wrote:
I then clicked on a few demos to download and it just kind of hung: the cursor seemed to lose focus so I have your black cursor stuck in place and my original cursor which flits from eye to eye depending where on the screen it is. My head tracking also does not work.
I concur that there needs to be a way to quit your app as even the old CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't work to get to the task manager to shut it down from there.


Totally agree on this one. I'm hearing multiple reports about this. Tracking this here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337462-add-close-button-to-the-launchpad

mrgrey wrote:
My system has Windows 8 64bit running if this makes a difference.


Thanks for the specs. It definitely helps narrow this down. My dev box matches yours, btw.

mrgrey wrote:
Sorry if I come across all negative, I really think this is a great idea once the bugs are ironed out and you have more content on there - keep it up!


Not negative at all! It's super useful feedback. Thanks so much!


Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:38 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm
Posts: 34
Location: England
Reply with quote
mattsonic wrote:
Hmmmm....that's pretty weird. Is it the blue window that comes from the Rift whenever the resolution changes? I hate that thing.

Yup, that's the one


Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 am
Posts: 206
Reply with quote
mattsonic wrote:
mr.uu wrote:
Hmm, i ment an exit button for the virtualreality.io software, not for the apps. I was calling your software an app (short for application), my fault! I couldn't download anything yet, because of the lack of an account at google or facebook. I was just starting the software (or call it portal?), looks all very polished on the rift, but couldn't find a way to exit it, just by pc-reset. Will try Alt-F4 tomorrow...


Ohhh...yeah you can quit it using the escape key. That said, it wouldn't be hard to give it a close button as well. Thanks for the feedback! Added the feature request here: http://feedback.virtualreality.io/forums/219182-general/suggestions/4337462-add-close-button-to-the-launchpad


Did not work for me. Esc was the first key i pressed, a dozen times. Then i tried the other usual combos...
Win7x64, btw.

Will try tomorrow again to make sure i am able to find and press the esc key on my keyboard - lol


Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:50 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
mr.uu wrote:
Did not work for me. Esc was the first key i pressed, a dozen times. Then i tried the other usual combos...
Win7x64, btw.


Very strange! Expect a new version soon with a close button. Thanks for trying it out.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:13 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
For some reason when i launch the app it gets stuck at Loading Launchpad. I can open and close it no problem though.

I can imagine this formatting would be great for things like Youtube as well.


Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:51 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Tbot and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.