"Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post Reply
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

"Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post by HeadTrip »

Image

Image
Image


"Greebles" (Rift Version) Virtual Reality Tech Demo

Downlod the playable PC version here
http://headtripg.blogspot.com/2013/07/g ... rsion.html

updated:
V1.2
- Slower speed
- More reactive objects
- flocking glow fish
- Post fx tweaks

updated:
V1.1
- fixed object pop at the end when facing reverse
- fixed flying into greebles during random points
- moved some animated greebles away from the cam a bit to avoid intersection

I Created this demo to test cameras on a path, lightmapping and music based animation, nothing more.
Face forward when launching! This demo should use your IPD profile from the SDK profile creator.
This demo pushes allot of verts, I recommend a decent card... and yes, its a bit rough.
Hope you enjoy just tripping out in it! Thank you to Oculus for making such an amazing piece of technology!! 8-)

Music: c. Filthy Mittens Productions
Last edited by HeadTrip on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lark
One Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by Lark »

Very nice! That was a fun ride and exactly the kind of stuff I like to see. Thanks for sharing.

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by HeadTrip »

Awesome! Thanks for trying it

User avatar
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by BOLL »

I really liked the scale of things, and flying close to stuff :D The pulsing spheres did disconnect a bit as I've never seen anything act like that IRL, it was hard for me to keep track of how large they actually were :P Nonetheless a very nice demo, thanks!

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by HeadTrip »

BOLL wrote:I really liked the scale of things, and flying close to stuff :D The pulsing spheres did disconnect a bit as I've never seen anything act like that IRL, it was hard for me to keep track of how large they actually were :P Nonetheless a very nice demo, thanks!
Thanks! I want to smooth out the audio animations sometime. The sense of scale is what I had the most fun with...

User avatar
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by 3dRat »

can you make it not so fast? (or adjustable speed by a config file)

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by HeadTrip »

3dRat wrote:can you make it not so fast? (or adjustable speed by a config file)
hmmm not really, I timed it so when you get over the large sphere the beat kicks in. I would need to expose the speed of the camera path and make it adjustable, currently out of my Unity user level ;p When I do get to that level, I will. thanks for checking it out!

User avatar
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by BloodShed »

Really cool demo. Another great ride for first time Rifters. Thanks.

Suggestions:

Consider adding more objects to look at above. I found that this is a really enjoyable demo while laying on the floor and on your stomach while propped up on your elbows and mostly looking down. It seems like it would have also been cool while laying on your back but you usually just see white.

Perhaps try changing the flight speed with the tempo of the music. I'm imagining it starting slow but picking up a little speed as the music starts.

Have you thought of adding any sound effects? I would think a viewer would have more presence if there was a wind rushing noise when flying close to an object. The music seems to set the mood, so you wouldn't want anything too distracting. Something subtitle. Perhaps well timed too.
HeadTrip wrote:I timed it so when you get over the large sphere the beat kicks in.
You may want to adjust the total length of the loop since it does not evenly divide the length of the song you use. When running the loop a few times, some of the pulsing spheres expand into the player view.

Also, I decided to ride backwards for awhile. At the end of the loop, the player position is reset before the map disappears in the fog. I was able to see everything vanish.

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by HeadTrip »

BloodShed wrote:Really cool demo. Another great ride for first time Rifters. Thanks.

Suggestions:

Consider adding more objects to look at above. I found that this is a really enjoyable demo while laying on the floor and on your stomach while propped up on your elbows and mostly looking down. It seems like it would have also been cool while laying on your back but you usually just see white.

Perhaps try changing the flight speed with the tempo of the music. I'm imagining it starting slow but picking up a little speed as the music starts.

Have you thought of adding any sound effects? I would think a viewer would have more presence if there was a wind rushing noise when flying close to an object. The music seems to set the mood, so you wouldn't want anything too distracting. Something subtitle. Perhaps well timed too.
HeadTrip wrote:I timed it so when you get over the large sphere the beat kicks in.
You may want to adjust the total length of the loop since it does not evenly divide the length of the song you use. When running the loop a few times, some of the pulsing spheres expand into the player view.

Also, I decided to ride backwards for awhile. At the end of the loop, the player position is reset before the map disappears in the fog. I was able to see everything vanish.
Thanks! Good suggestions, I'm not sure if I will be adding to it. I'll have to try it lying down.
Yeah, its a rough demo with bugs :)

Like your avatar, grew up watching brainstorm

User avatar
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by BloodShed »

HeadTrip wrote:I'll have to try it lying down.
Yeah man. I had my wife try your demo today and for one of the runs I suggested she also try it laying on the floor. She thought it was pretty cool too. She put her arms out like she was flying for awhile. Haha
HeadTrip wrote:Like your avatar, grew up watching brainstorm
Thanks. You're actually the first person to recognize it. At least, the first person to say anything.

I immediately thought of Brainstorm when I thought about the Rift. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to veg-out like that one guy.

User avatar
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by przecinek »

Great stuff. You can say this is the first demoscene VR project. I'm sure it would be a hit at Assembly gathering or something similar.

Really enjoyed it and like others, also noticed that it's not in perfect loop, later on you start colliding with the spheres, they are not visible when the bass kicks in etc.

I hope you expand this project, maybe add some extra effects :)

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by HeadTrip »

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have to fix that up sometime

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version

Post by HeadTrip »

przecinek wrote:Great stuff. You can say this is the first demoscene VR project. I'm sure it would be a hit at Assembly gathering or something similar.

Really enjoyed it and like others, also noticed that it's not in perfect loop, later on you start colliding with the spheres, they are not visible when the bass kicks in etc.

I hope you expand this project, maybe add some extra effects :)

Fixed some issues...updated the original link

V1.1
- fixed object pop at the end when facing reverse
- fixed flying into greebles during random points
- moved some animated greebles away from the cam a bit to avoid intersection

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post by HeadTrip »

Another quick Update... Check OP

- Slower speed
- More reactive objects
- flocking glow fishies
- Post fx tweaks

User avatar
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post by przecinek »

D/L the new version, replaced the old one. I applaud adding lots of massive orbs glowing other effects :)

This is one of the demos I use when showing Oculus to different people.

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post by HeadTrip »

przecinek wrote:D/L the new version, replaced the old one. I applaud adding lots of massive orbs glowing other effects :)

This is one of the demos I use when showing Oculus to different people.
That's great! 8-)

User avatar
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: Head Mounted Display (HMD)

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post by Hannibalj2 »

This is my favorite Rift Demo so far! Would love to try it some day on the Portal Dual thought. :D
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/

HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor
Location: Deep underground

Re: "Greebles" Oculus Rift version (updated 1.2)

Post by HeadTrip »

Nice! glad you like it.

Post Reply

Return to “Oculus VR”