It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Who do you want to play with? 

As a gamer playing with the Rift, would you prefer to:
Play only with other gamers who use the Rift 41%  41%  [ 17 ]
Play with a mix of gamers using the Rift and other display modes 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Play only with people NOT using the Rift 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I have no preference/Don't care about what other systems people are using. 51%  51%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 41

Who do you want to play with? 
Cross Eyed!

So basically I was playing a few games the other night, trying to think which aspects of them would/would not work in a VR situation, and it suddenly occurred to me.

If I was playing a Multilayer game with the Rift, I would probably want at least my team mates to be using them too. Not to the point of exclusion of other players or anything, but the social feel would be heightened.

After all, if you have headphones and a mic, with the Rift and a decent connection, what is the difference between sitting next to someone and sitting half the world away?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 am
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

To be honest, I mostly plan on playing single player games w/ the Rift but if I do play online I'd like to play other Rift users.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:40 am
Cross Eyed!

I'm not an elitist snob when it comes to gaming. I'll play with whoever is around. ;)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

My first reaction was "f them peasants" but on second thought, if the Rift gives me a huge advantage over them then bring em on! :D

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 am
Cross Eyed!

I guess you could have games setup with VR players and regular players in the same match. Something like Crysis 3 or a Predator vs. humans game.
You could have a small team of players using VR as the "predators" who have abilities unique to VR, who hunt down a larger group of regular "human" players who have more firepower.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am
Cross Eyed!

rhinosix wrote:
I guess you could have games setup with VR players and regular players in the same match. Something like Crysis 3 or a Predator vs. humans game.
You could have a small team of players using VR as the "predators" who have abilities unique to VR, who hunt down a larger group of regular "human" players who have more firepower.

Hey, that's a cool concept. You would have to watch the execution of it, but could be an interesting way to put in workable 'Rift Only' content, which will probably be quite rare at first.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm
Petrif-Eyed

I've always thought that VR players would be at a massive disadvantage against desktop players. The only advantage to VR is increased environmental awareness, but it seems like for motion - you would completely outclassed by guys that only had to flick their wrists while you have to execute real world movements and actually aim a weapon with your arm. The situation only gets worse the more realistic your VR setup becomes. Once you get to weapon recoil, locomotion devices, and real 1:1 physical movement then you have the additional disadvantage of physical exhaustion. I just don't see how VR and desktop players could ever play on a level playing field. Having said that, I think it would have more meaning being a world class VR player than a world class desktop player. I would have much more respect for players that had to compete athletically.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:46 pm
Certif-Eyable!

I don't like the kind of multiplayer gamer that just wants to get the best possible score with no concern for realism and no respect for added difficulty. But aside from those people, I wouldn't mind playing with people who don't have Rifts. I do like single-player story mode games better than multiplayer though.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm
Cross Eyed!

2EyeGuy wrote:
I don't like the kind of multiplayer gamer that just wants to get the best possible score with no concern for realism and no respect for added difficulty. But aside from those people, I wouldn't mind playing with people who don't have Rifts. I do like single-player story mode games better than multiplayer though.

My thoughts exactly. In that sense, I really do feel like the idea of an only semi-competitive Rift user only team for a game like Hawken for instance. That way, every one on the team would appreciate the way in which their team mates are playing, how it changes the game and what advantages/disadvantages this serves in play.

I mention Hawken in particular because I feel like VR would be a trade off in that game - Probably gaining some situational awareness in exchange for less twitch motion. Still cant get the alpha to run on Wine, so I can't speak for game play (plus there is that pesky NDA), but the whole "we wanted the feel of being in a heavy machine" thing makes me thing it could be a fair trade. Perhaps in role based games it might end up being that some roles lend themselves to VR better than others.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

brantlew wrote:
I've always thought that VR players would be at a massive disadvantage against desktop players. The only advantage to VR is increased environmental awareness, but it seems like for motion - you would completely outclassed by guys that only had to flick their wrists while you have to execute real world movements and actually aim a weapon with your arm. The situation only gets worse the more realistic your VR setup becomes. Once you get to weapon recoil, locomotion devices, and real 1:1 physical movement then you have the additional disadvantage of physical exhaustion. I just don't see how VR and desktop players could ever play on a level playing field. Having said that, I think it would have more meaning being a world class VR player than a world class desktop player. I would have much more respect for players that had to compete athletically.

I'm kind of hoping for hybrid VR approaches, where we still have motion assist tools (be they controllers, or some other mechanism) with more competent sensory immersion than we have now.

I just don't have the motor control for 1:1 VR of any particular interest, I struggle enough just doing things in my house...

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:27 am
Cross Eyed!

esotericist wrote:
brantlew wrote:

I'm kind of hoping for hybrid VR approaches, where we still have motion assist tools (be they controllers, or some other mechanism) with more competent sensory immersion than we have now.

I just don't have the motor control for 1:1 VR of any particular interest, I struggle enough just doing things in my house...

Not to mention people playing under the influence. I can think of a number of drugs that might help the brain decide the game is more real. And before you call me too much of a nut, when Inception came out not too many people had a problem with the way they did things. How different is rift + suitable controls + pharmaceutically created compound to make you believe it from the inception tech, once you take out the obvious moral implications?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 am
Cross Eyed!

I guess it all depends on the design of the game for what will be an advantage or disadvantage.

Actually the only multiplayer game I really play is Assassin's Creed - because the gameplay depends more on observation, trickery, planning and adaption, rather than twitch speed and kill counts.

Having maximum control only using a gamepad can definitely be an advantage, and is the only way a lot of people would be able to play. I was thinking about people who are confined to a wheelchair being cut off from a game. But there's no reason why you couldn't design a game where a wheelchair is used as the primary locomotion device, so people who use them every day would be at an advantage. Or wheelchairs could just be their own class of vehicle in a game - put virtual rocket boosters on it for jumping, an advanced targeting system etc.

Another thing: You could purposely engineer a "VR arms race" with the goal of rapidly improving VR hardware by designing a competitive game which is balanced toward the player with the most elaborate setup. For a lot of FPS or RTS games, players will spend time and money on ensuring a fast Internet connection, the best keyboard, mouse, etc.

Let the Battlefield/ Starcraft players spend money on the latest hardware to get a slight advantage over their competitors, which will drive costs down and increase accessibility for more casual players.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

I play online with real life friends, we always get into the same squad on Battlefield 3 and we play against anyone. They aren't getting the developer version of the Rift, but I hope to keep playing with them, even if they are on their monitors.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Cross Eyed!

People in regione caecorum rex est luscus "In the land of the blind the one eye man is king", since i was one of the few to pick using the rift with non-rift users please allow me to elaborate on that decisions. I feel that being able to look around and see in stereoscopic glory whilst my comrades can only view the still flatness that is the monitor
Will allow me to dominate(perhaps not in a twitch fps though) I will become the soothsayer, seer, wise man the proverbial Jo-Jo to their rest of the Snorks. My powers of perception would be highly sought after I would turn the tides of battle...alter the course of wars. However this probably is not how it will turn out, more likely I'll be too overwhelmed by the visual joy that I'll be blindsided by every one and their mother.

Edit: +1 Grammer

Last edited by Nogard on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Nogard wrote:
People in regione caecorum rex est luscus "In the land of the blind the one eye man is king", since i was one of the few to pick using the rift with non-rift users please allow me to elaborate on that decisions. I feel that being able to look around and see in stereoscopic glory whilst my comrades can only view the still flatness that is the monitor I will dominate(perhaps not in a twitch fps though) I will be come the soothsayer, seer, wise man the proverbial Jo-Jo to their rest of the Snorks. My powers of perception would be highly sought after I would turn the tides of battle...alter the course of wars. However this probably is not how it will turn out, more likely I'll be too overwhelmed by the visual joy that I'll be blindsided by every one and their mother.

....and they will refer to us as the gentle "rift people".

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Zhin wrote:
....and they will refer to us as the gentle "rift people".
"rift-n00b" is more likely :roll:

However, I'm really curious. Having the 3D space simplified to 2D could actually be an advantage.
Controls are much easier with a flat screen. For FPS instead of 3-axis command, you have a 2-axis command.
For flying, you have 6DOF of the vehicle, but with a HMD, this could be 6DOF plus 3DOF extra for looking around.
All those extra degrees of freedom give you more possibilities, but require more control. I'm sure there is a trade-off somewhere.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]