It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Questions for Carmack 
Certif-Eyable!

Some questions for John Carmack if he's around:

I heard you specially modified the firmware of the tracker to reduce latency. Are we going to get your custom firmware in the Oculus Rift? Or is it a different tracker altogether? And will your custom Hillcrest firmware be available to the public if they buy those trackers?

Are you going to release any of the code or methodology you used for adding Rift support to DOOM 3? For example, how you fed the head-tracking into the renderer at the last minute, how you calculate eye translation from orientation data, how you do screen warping, etc.?

Are other Rift games likely to perform similarly in terms of latency as Doom 3, or is that unique to Doom 3?

Have you tried detecting jumping, crouching, or walking on the spot using the head-tracker?

How does the PDA in DOOM 3 work with the Rift?

How will you be including DOOM 1 and 2 in the BFG edition (on PC)? Did you write a new modern engine for them, or does it use one of the existing source-ports, or is it still a DOS game or using Doom 95? Is there a reason they don't support the Rift? And do you mind if we add Rift support to them if you don't want to?

Why don't the console versions of DOOM 3 BFG work with the Rift? Will it be possible to get the Rift working on consoles?

And when are you going to release the source code for Commander Keen?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 am
Petrif-Eyed

Thanks for the feedback Palmer. An interesting point was brought up here that I have considered as well.

My understanding is that the Carmack demo worked so well (in part), because he had done some customized trickery in the rendering path to "forward" the tracker motion to the end of the pipeline. And also (I think) he used some sort of "predictive" algorithms to guess the instantaneous head position. In my mind, these would be difficult techniques to support via the SDK. So will the latency and "immediacy" of head tracking vary a lot from game to game based on the skill of the developers? Is there sort of a "best practices" guideline to help developers mimic the solutions that Carmack developed? Will the SDK, in fact be able to support these techniques? Maybe providing "predictive" head coordinates or something like that?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

brantlew wrote:
In my mind, these would be difficult techniques to support via the SDK. So will the latency and "immediacy" of head tracking vary a lot from game to game based on the skill of the developers?

Why would it be difficult to implement in the SDK? First person view and head tracking should be a design pattern applicable to any first person game no?

Anyway, with Carmack, Unreal Engine and Unity all supporting the Rift, that should cover pretty much everything right?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 am
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Centralised head motion prediction would be a rather nice feature of the SDK. You'd only have to tune the prediction to your liking once, then every game would have equally good prediction. In addition to feeding the game the current position & orientation, the SDK would send additionally the predicted values for x ms in the future.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:18 am
Certif-Eyable!

PalmerTech wrote:
I can answer a few of these, hope you don't mind that I am not John. :)

The Rift will be using a different tracker. One reason that consoles cannot support the Rift is because Sony and Microsoft have an approval process for third party peripherals, and it is not an easy one. Until they allow it, no go. Limited power is another problem.

You could say it's just a TV, not a peripheral. Although then you'd miss out on head-tracking. Carmack could add a special split-screen, 2 viewing-angle mode for anyone who just happens to want to view the same scene from two slightly different angles at the same time. ;) Or if that's too obvious, you could have split-screen with customisable cameras, and leave it up to the user to position them 6.4 cm apart and facing the same direction (but it would be marketed to non-Rift users as a way to add an extra camera showing what's sneaking up behind you or from the side). And he could add an optional slight fish-eye effect, as a tribute to fish-eye quake, so users could see a wider field of view at the edges without distorting the middle of the screen as much. ;)

I know Sony already has stereoscopic 3D games, so the processing power should be adequate. Although I guess those games run at 30Hz.

What about Nintendo? Could the Rift work on a Wii U, or a Wii?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:44 am
Petrif-Eyed

MrGreen wrote:
Why would it be difficult to implement in the SDK? First person view and head tracking should be a design pattern applicable to any first person game no?

Predictive tracking might be something that could be supported via SDK. That fits easily within a polling mechanism, but the other technique sounded a lot more subtle. In the QuakeCon address, Carmack talked about initializing a queue of render frames in the DirectX pipeline but holding back the camera orientation from the render model. He would then "hold" the frame and "forward" the orientation forward in the pipeline to complete the rendering. Or something like that? It honestly went over my head. But it certainly sounded like something that would need custom coding per game engine. Only if the SDK used some sort of monolithic call like RenderScene() would you be able to do something like this but I doubt they are going to go that direction with the SDK. Maybe the game engines like Unity could do something like this however?

Last edited by brantlew on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

brantlew wrote:
My understanding is that the Carmack demo worked so well (in part), because he had done some customized trickery in the rendering path to "forward" the tracker motion to the end of the pipeline. And also (I think) he used some sort of "predictive" algorithms to guess the instantaneous head position. In my mind, these would be difficult techniques to support via the SDK. So will the latency and "immediacy" of head tracking vary a lot from game to game based on the skill of the developers? Is there sort of a "best practices" guideline to help developers mimic the solutions that Carmack developed? Will the SDK, in fact be able to support these techniques? Maybe providing "predictive" head coordinates or something like that?

We will be developing guidelines for good custom implementation, but to be honest, a lot of that is going to have to come from community feedback over time. Getting a solid SDK together before launch is the priority for now, not streamlining integration into custom engines. That said, we are going to have pretty deep Unreal integration at launch, Unity as well, and those (Along with a few example environments) should give developers a good start.

Prediction is something we are actively working on, one of our new hires is an expert in that field.

We could support console games with no head tracking, I guess, but it would be a pretty bad experience. Plus, the PS3 requires HDCP compliance even for displays!

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:23 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

I would think that the best you could do would be to make a well-documented reference implementation available.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]