It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rift dev kit for watching movies/console gaming 
One Eyed Hopeful

Is the Rift dev kit likely to be suitable for watching movies or is it purely going to be for gaming on games written for the Rift? Is all the jiggery pokery done by the PC it's connected to or does the Rift have/will probably have processing capabilities of its own? I'm thinking that I might have made a mistake by pre-ordering mine and that my brother (who does game development) is going to be getting one hell of a nice late Christmas present.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:04 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

The Rift dev kit is suitable for developing ;)

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:17 pm
Certif-Eyable!

All the jiggery-pokery is done on the PC. The rift deliberately tries to avoid doing any processing, in order to reduce latency. Someone might make a program for watching movies on with PC with it. And some people are working on drivers for playing normal non-Rift PC games with the Rift. But of course ordinary people can't usually do that on a console, because console-makers don't let them. So you'll only be able to use it on your PC.

But... is there some device you wanted to use it with besides the PC? You never know, there may be a hacker out there who could add support for it.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:33 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

2EyeGuy wrote:
All the jiggery-pokery is done on the PC. The rift deliberately tries to avoid doing any processing, in order to reduce latency. Someone might make a program for watching movies on with PC with it. And some people are working on drivers for playing normal non-Rift PC games with the Rift. But of course ordinary people can't usually do that on a console, because console-makers don't let them. So you'll only be able to use it on your PC.

But... is there some device you wanted to use it with besides the PC? You never know, there may be a hacker out there who could add support for it.

I was hoping to use it with an Xbox 360. From what I've seen, even a simple setting in the firmware to display the incoming image twice, side by side at a slightly reduced resolution would suffice.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:36 pm
Certif-Eyable!

You'll have to ask Microsoft or Xbox 360 game developers to add support for it.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:45 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

2EyeGuy wrote:

Drat, I think I'll have to wait for the consumer version. Thank you.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:55 pm
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

DH1900 wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:

Drat, I think I'll have to wait for the consumer version. Thank you.

AFAIK there are plenty of side by side Xbox games out there; the controller on the dev kit should be able to handle it.

No head tracking without a hardware hack, of course; and no optical prestortion. (that's a word now, right?)

But why not get yourself the bits and see what you can do ? Using 4 or even 4.5 lenses, although the FOV isn't as great the distortion is less. TBH 5X distortion isn't that bad - you kind of get used to it!!

The kinect can to head tracking in some games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEosZ_dld4 so you might have a fun time.

I don't own a console, so this may all be wrong!

If you aren't too technical, or don't want to waste time fiddling / getting your hand dirty, the Dev kit probably isn't for you!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:07 pm
Certif-Eyable!

There's no guarantee the consumer version will do what you want either, since it goes against the spirit of the device. It might add that feature anyway, but it might not.

There's probably nothing stopping xbox 360 game developers from supporting the Rift though. So contact the game makers and tell them you want them to support the Oculus Rift in their games.

If console games already support side-by-side 3D mode, they will look squashed on the Rift (everything will look twice as tall), but they will work (assuming the screen resolutions are compatible, I don't know how that works with consoles or the video controller in the rift).

But don't give away your Rift until you've played Hawken on the PC with it. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:18 pm
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

The Rift is pretty much for PC only at this point. This is because there is no 2D mode, the screen is physically split in two (side-by-side). That means you need special software that is designed to be used like this. Even though there are a couple SBS Xbox games, they probably won't look great because the aspect ratio will be wrong and there is no pre-warping of the image. But this is a great excuse to build a nice gaming PC to play Doom3 and Hawken and whatever other games end up being supported.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:31 pm
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

2EyeGuy wrote:
they will look squashed on the Rift

Aww yeah, and that...

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm
Certif-Eyable!

Ideally you need full-SBS, not half-SBS, for the Rift. Which is unusual, because most other devices want half-SBS. And you want a strange aspect ratio.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]