It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 7" Screen Speculation 
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Hi,

I didn't want to pollute the other thread any more, but over here: viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15247&start=300 Dycus is stating that a larger (than 5.6" screen) is a potential target for the Rifts. He cites a 7" as being ideal.

This raises the possibility of the RIFT offering partial overlap - which would be great for RIFT enabled games, but not so great for anything else...

He doesn't go into details about configuration, so I was wondering if anybody else could help shed some light on this possible development ?

I think TheLostBrain has touched on this dilemma before also; but I can't find that post.. Basically if the screen is greater than twice your IPD you are in trouble without mirrors, fresnels or partial overlap.

Cheers

Zach

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 am

I didn't quite say that. I said I have a 7" I'm testing. ;) Our ideal screen doesn't even exist. I'm not quite sure what the final screen will be, so don't have any expectations.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:24 am
Profile WWW

Dycus wrote:
I didn't quite say that. I said I have a 7" I'm testing. ;) Our ideal screen doesn't even exist. I'm not quite sure what the final screen will be, so don't have any expectations.

Look here sonny-jim - How are people supposed to spread mad and fantastical rumours if you keep popping up and quashing them? ;)

So, your 7" screen; how are you testing it ? Is partial overlap something you are even considering ?

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:55 am

Hmm... yeah, I guess you're right. Carry on then!

And could you explain what partial overlap is, exactly? I haven't been in VR for too long, and I'm not too sure what that means.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 am
Profile WWW

Dycus wrote:
Hmm... yeah, I guess you're right. Carry on then!

And could you explain what partial overlap is, exactly? I haven't been in VR for too long, and I'm not too sure what that means.

In simple terms it means you can extend the horizontal field of view by extending the image for each eye outwards.

With 100% overlap each eye see the same image (ignore 3D separation)

With, say, 30% overlap, each eye shares only 30% of the horizonal FOV and the rest is unique to that eye (alot more like real life*) this means that the image for each eye can extend further to the left or to the right - this allows the use of larger screens in the case of side by side imaging, as the IPD of the center shared 30% can be kept usable.

*Hold your left hand flat in front of your nose. Close your left eye. Slowly move your hand to the left - see how quickly it disapears from view ? That area, really, is all that need be shared between the two presented images.

I am only played with a few HMDs that have had the software connected to allow for this (an Xsight and a VR1280) and the effect was amazing, though lack of nose area was a bit weird at first; causing a touch of vertigo.

Worth noting that it's ONLY the overlap area which is perceived in 3D, hence normally you would want your overlap area to be ~60 degrees+ FOV

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Nice work man! Make sure Dykus thinks twice about sharing anything with us from now on! ;)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:30 am
Two Eyed Hopeful

Can't you do the partial overlap completely in software? That is, if you can present each eye an independent image, then you can render the two viewpoints as if they came from any eye configuration you want, even 0% overlap, by pointing the virtual cameras in different directions.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 am
Cross Eyed!

By partial overlap do you mean a certain % of pixels are common to both the right and left eyes?

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Pyry wrote:
Can't you do the partial overlap completely in software? That is, if you can present each eye an independent image, then you can render the two viewpoints as if they came from any eye configuration you want, even 0% overlap, by pointing the virtual cameras in different directions.

Absolutely,of course. although historically much of this has been done by 'black boxes' this is easily achieved with software. or for testing, with Photo Shop.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm

BHawthorne wrote:
By partial overlap do you mean a certain % of pixels are common to both the right and left eyes?

yes, though the word ONLY is important

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 pm
Cross Eyed!

zacherynuk wrote:
BHawthorne wrote:

yes, though the word ONLY is important

Most pre-warping software integrate something called "edge blending" where there are two ramped alpha channels used to seamlessly blend together two projections and a specified % of pixels in common to achieve the blend. Is it something like that? If so, the capability has been available for awhile now to achieve in realtime with no notable latency. For example, my avatar has two 15% edge blends in it.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Zachery - Makes sense, thank you. I personally haven't done anything with that, I'm not a great programmer. No idea if Oculus is testing it, either. I'm pretty sure that's something we're letting developers try out.

MrGreen - I certainly know to keep my big mouth shut now. :P

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Dycus wrote:
MrGreen - I certainly know to keep my big mouth shut now. :P

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

I think 'stereo overlap' in this case is not individual display pixels that are seen by both eyes, but the portion of the unique per-eye image that is in view of both eyes (i.e. the left 45° for the right eye, and the right 45° for the left eye). 100% overlap is not correct and wasteful of display area at high Fovs, as you nose would physically block some (or most) of this from view.
When your HMD has a 90° horizontal FoV or less, this doesn't matter. Once you go over 90°, then it is preferable to shift the display so that you are gaining more useful periphery display area, rather than displaying image that will be occluded by the user's nose.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]