It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 FreePIE master branch is broken 
One Eyed Hopeful

Grabbed master branch 11-28-2013, tried to build and couldn't get it working.

I have been away a while but the last time I did this it worked fine.

Is the master branch being used as a development or feature branch these days? It appears to be broken.

First issue: Building produces error complaining about "..\VersionInfo.cs" not being found in the FreePIE.GUI.CodeCompletion project, which is probably a relative path error. Building a second time seems to work.

Second issue: FreePIE.Console is marked as startup project. This does not really make sense to me as the console version is a side-project and not the main application.

Third issue: Can't run FreePIE.GUI in the debugger because the following exception occurs -

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException' occurred in PresentationFramework.dll

Additional information: 'The invocation of the constructor on type 'FreePIE.GUI.Bootstrap.BootStrapper' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception.' Line number '9' and line position '22'.

If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued."

Fourth issue: Can't run FreePIE.exe after building which I assume is caused by the same issue noted previously.

Fifth issue: Lots of warnings related to the test projects, including mismatch processor architecture and references that can't be found,
e.g. Warning 2 The referenced component 'FreePIE.Core' could not be found. FreePIE.Tests.Test

Last edited by kzoink on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:16 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

The exception causing the third issue is occurring while iterating over pluginTypes collection on line 40 of PluginInvoker.cs.

Code:

32: public IEnumerable<Type> ListAllPluginTypes()
33: {
34:    if (pluginTypes != null)
35:      return pluginTypes;
36:
37:   var path = paths.GetApplicationPath(pluginFolder);
38:   var dlls = fileSystem.GetFiles(path, "*.dll");
39:
40:   pluginTypes = dlls
41:      .Select(Assembly.LoadFile)
42:      .SelectMany(a => a.GetTypes().Where(t => typeof (IPlugin).IsAssignableFrom(t) && t.IsClass && !t.IsAbstract)).ToList();
43:
44:   return pluginTypes;
45: }

The exception occurs after iterating over the following type:

+ t {Name = "<>c__DisplayClass1" FullName = "FreePIE.Core.Plugins.Yei3SpacePlugin+<>c__DisplayClass1"} System.Type {System.RuntimeType}

Here's the stack trace of the exception

> FreePIE.Core.dll!FreePIE.Core.Plugins.PluginInvoker.ListAllPluginTypes.AnonymousMethod__1(System.Type t) Line 42 C#
[External Code]
FreePIE.Core.dll!FreePIE.Core.Plugins.PluginInvoker.ListAllPluginTypes() Line 40 + 0xb1 bytes C#
FreePIE.Core.dll!FreePIE.Core.Plugins.PluginInvoker.PopulatePluginSettings() Line 58 + 0xe bytes C#
FreePIE.Core.dll!FreePIE.Core.Persistence.PersistanceManager.Load() Line 19 + 0xc bytes C#
FreePIE.exe!FreePIE.GUI.Bootstrap.BootStrapper.Configure() Line 27 + 0x47 bytes C#
Caliburn.Micro.dll!Caliburn.Micro.Bootstrapper.StartRuntime() Line 69 C#
Caliburn.Micro.dll!Caliburn.Micro.Bootstrapper.Bootstrapper(bool useApplication) Line 41 C#
[External Code]
mscoreei.dll!6b71f5a3()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for mscoreei.dll]
kernel32.dll!76984c5c()
mscoree.dll!6b797efd()
mscoree.dll!6b797f16()
mscoree.dll!6b794de3()
kernel32.dll!7698850d()
ntdll.dll!7746bf39()
ntdll.dll!7746bf0c()

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:22 pm
Petrif-Eyed

I haven't built in VS2010 for a while but it works in 2012 Pro, what version are you using?

I'm on vacation so cant help you much from where I am I'm afraid

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:18 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Hey CyberVillain, good to hear from you. Hope you're enjoying your vacation dude.

I'm actually using VS 2012 Pro, so that definitely isn't the problem. I'm just trying to build and run a fresh clone of the repository and running into the issues I mentioned.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:50 pm
Petrif-Eyed

I just tried a fresh clone here on my laptop (A clone on a slow Thai wifi took its while :D) and it works out of the box once I changed start up project. Start up project is a user setting not project setting. I'm on Ultimate btw not Pro, but it does not matter..

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi again CyberVillain, thank you for looking into this.

That's weird that it is working for you but not for me. But I'm sure as a developer you've run into instances where "it's running on my machine" doesn't translate to "it runs on others' machines." I think we have a case of that here.

I had no trouble in the past building the master branch, but that was a few months ago. All I'm doing is cloning, opening the solution in VS 2012 Pro and then going to Debug->Start Debugging.

Of course, I set the startup project to FreePIE.GUI first to make sure I am running the right thing.

There's some kind of exception occurring in the BootStrapper, as noted, and it's a very nebulous error because of all the layers of abstraction due to WPF and Caliburn Micro which makes it hard to track down. I tried but it hasn't lead anywhere.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:52 pm
Petrif-Eyed

Does other WPF projects work on your system, I remember someone got a XML error for the xaml views but I cant remember how he fixed it.

the error you get from the listplugintypes is also strange, have you tried to remove the yei plugin to test if that changes anything?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:33 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi CyberVillain,

Thanks for always being there to lend support. Much appreciated.

You know what the problem turned out to be? It's this handy-dandy new feature of Windows that blocks files that came from another computer. It turns out if you unzip a blocked zip, all the files it produces will be blocked as well. *Sigh*

I remember having this issue before and I was pretty taken aback when I found out the cause of the problem. The error messages you end up with can be very deceiving.

So remembering my past experience, I unblocked the FreePIE-master.zip which I downloaded from the FreePIE master branch on GitHub and unzipped it again, then built the project in Visual Studio.

The first build failed (probably due to the way the project is configured), but subsequent builds were okay and I was able to run FreePIE!

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:35 pm
Petrif-Eyed

aha, nice you got it working. A tip for the future, always use git clone ;)

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

I would under normal circumstances if I was trying to setup a local repo to work in but I was just trying to do development of a new external plugin without touching the core at all so I figured I'd pull down a zip.

Thanks again, CyberVillain. Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation man.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:38 am
Petrif-Eyed

thanks, what are you working on?

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:00 am
One Eyed Hopeful

A new piece of hardware for VR. It's kind of under wraps at the moment but I will be sharing more probably before the end of the year.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]