It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Wondering if someone could help a noob! 
Two Eyed Hopeful

Hi guys,

I'm looking for something that should be easy to code, or probably already exists. I'd love it if someone would be able to help me out a little. What I would like is something that can turn a wiimote (or similar) movements into movement in games, whether that's as simple as emulating the letter "w" being pressed, or more elegantly emulating a virtual accelerator pedal or perhaps virtual joystick at a rate depending on how fast the wiimote is moving.

Like I say, I guess it exists and I would assume Glovepie/Freepie (I'm not really up on the differences!) is probably the easiest way to achieve this.

Any tips or code/links much appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:13 am
One Eyed Hopeful

I used BlueSoleil with something else - I don't remember what. But I do remember that it was pretty straight forward. If you are on Windows XP you'll need Blue Soleil, if you're on Win 7 or later I heard the Wiimote should be natively supported.

I googled real quick and found these sites:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-con ... o-your-pc/
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Wii-Rem ... on-Windows

They seem pretty similar to what I did.

If that doesn't work out for you I can look on my PC at home and tell you what programs I used exactly.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am
Two Eyed Hopeful

Hi, thanks for that. But, I can connect a wiimote to a PC no problem! What I'm looking for is more detailed than that. If anyone knows I'd be grateful.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:01 pm
Petrif-Eyed

FreePIE does not currently support rotation data from a wiimote only button data.
We are working on full support

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful

CyberVillain wrote:
FreePIE does not currently support rotation data from a wiimote only button data.
We are working on full support

Ok thanks for the answer, how about a glovepie script? I'm sure there's one that must do pretty much this anyway but may need a few modifications?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:31 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

GlovePIE can be very good at this, but it depends almost entirely upon exactly what you're attempting to do. Lednerg's Wiimouse script (which should even be included with recent versions of GlovePIE) does a great job once you get everything working, but it's a mouse replacement, not a joystick replacement. Be more precise about what you're attempting and perhaps someone can point you at a more suitable script.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the reply.

What I'm looking for is really simple. I'd like to be able to move a wiimote in order to move a character in game. I don't write code but I would guess it would look a little like this:

If Wiimote=jumping around then press W, else don't press W!

From then it could get more complicated if desired as I've explained in the OP. You could sense more accurate movements and enable different levels of acceleration for example. But for now this would be fine. I only want this for a small personal project, it's not for commercial use although it would be cool to be able to share it if others wanted to use it themselves.

As I said, I expect this exists, it's a really simple bit of code if I knew what I was doing.

Thanks!

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:31 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Is your personal project using Unity ?

If so ... you could use an Arduino & [url] http://www.uniduino.com/url]

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]