It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 am



Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 [DIY] InfinitEye, an ULTRA wide FOV HMD for approx 500$ 
Author Message
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 am
Posts: 6
Reply with quote
It can be used with vireo but you will havr yo modify the side by side cfx. I make it work with hl2 and mirror edge. The only problem it that vireo only work with dx9 game so i am working with another tool which work with dx9, dx10 and dx11 games.


Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 am
Posts: 48
Reply with quote
I was thinking about using tridef (if it works with an eyefinity arrangement) and moving the center of each screen to match the IPD using the bezel compensation.
DO you guys think is a good idea?


Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:42 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 am
Posts: 48
Reply with quote
While i am waiting for the lcds i made some tests when i fire up eyefinity with tridef i've got 4 images instead of 2 so i think is not reallyworking as it should. Lso i still have to find a way to move the center of the images to match the infiniteye IPD.
Any suggestion?


Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:57 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:12 pm
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
foisi wrote:
Hey guys,

Here is the InfinitEye open source hardware HMD project release v1.0, so people (including Palmer Luckey himself :)) can start to make their own build and modifications. Special thanks to MSat for the name InfinitEye.

I don't know much about licences (especially for hardware projects) but I think something suitable for a project like this, is Creative Commons CC BY-SA (and to be credited by the "BY" part, my real name is Lionel Anton (I'm the author of F-ZERO for TI68k if anyone tries to google my name))

Specifications:

- Horizontal FOV = 180° (calculated)
- Horizontal stereoscopic FOV = 63° (calculated)
- Vertical FOV = (to be determined)
- Weight without tracker and head mount = 412g (measured)
- Weight with head mount = 512g (measured)
- Resolution per eye = 1280x800 spread over 121° horizontally (calculated)
- Bounding box of the headset (without mount) = 310x220x140 mm

The components I used :

- 2 x N070ICG-LD1 + controller board from ebay : 260$
- 4 x Fresnel lenses FRL021 from optolife (size 165x105mm, focal length 120mm, thickness 2mm, groove 0.3mm) : 20$ + shipping cost
- 1 sheet of expanded PVC thickness 2mm from castorama (french hardware store, but I'm sure similar light weight 2mm thick and flexible material can be found elsewhere) 500x750x2 mm : 8.45 eur ~= 11$
- neoprene glue
- headmount from faceshield from castorama : 17 eur ~= 23$

cost ~= 320$

Additional components :

- Zotac mini DisplayPort to dual HDMI from amazon : 69$
- YEI 3 space sensor embedded for head tracking (website): 99$

total cost ~= 500$
Now the plans (Version 1.0) :



(I have no website to host the file so I'm just leaving it attached to this thread for now)

I made the following drawing to compare horizontal FOV between this HMD, the Rift and the other HMD I own: ST1080

Attachment:
HFOV-Comparison.png

Note that in the drawing, I used the 7" display to scale the Rift but with the 90° HFOV 100% overlap which is less likely (I think it will be something like 115-120° HFOV with 80% overlap but we'll see in march :))

build pics of the prototype :



Attachment:
IMG_1159.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1160.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1161.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1162.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1163.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1165.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1168.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1169.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1171.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1173.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1174.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1175.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1176.jpg


(I can't attach other pictures, 15 files is the maximum)
Next steps :
- paint inside top and bottom parts in black
- glue the small parts to the box (green ones to prepare the LCD rails and then the yellow ones to maintain the box)
- glue the box nose part
- glue the lenses (top and bottom)
- insert the left LCD from the left
- insert the right LCD from the right
- insert the pink parts to maintain the LCDs in place
- glue the box left and right part to close it
- drill the holes to attach the head mount of your choice

Steps that I haven't done yet :
- extend LVDS cables (or tape the controller board to the headset, simpler but heavier)
- add head tracker
- modify VireIO perception drivers to make them compatible with this design
- say goodbye to reality and enjoy VR :)

Feel free to ask any question and post pictures of your builds in the thread :)


Can you repost the plans? they seem to be gone.


Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:43 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
I dunno if anyone is still watching this thread, but here's my recreation of foisi's design, Made with LEGOs :D

The lenses are the same as Foisi's.
Resolution is 3840x1080 downsampled to 2560x800
Total cost was $221.42

The quality is pretty terrible right now. But I'm still getting a feel for how the lenses should be aligned. However, I'm not noticing any spherical aberration of my test images, only chromatic :$
And any actual gaming will have to wait until I can get a proper driver going. Something that "pinches" the inside images in by ~460 pixels.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:10 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:12 pm
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
I'm interested, do you still have the original plans? That seem to have been deleted from this thread now that it's a legitimate product. Also, what is the link to the site you bought the lenses and LCD displays.


Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:29 pm
Profile
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 11394
Reply with quote
LEGOs!! Wow, that's boss.

_________________
check my blog - cybereality.com


Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:03 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:31 pm
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
Making my own hmd with 2 panels, but i got stuck with centering image with eyeballs.
How to shift screen to place it right forward to each eyeball?

Thanks


Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:23 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
bugway wrote:
Making my own hmd with 2 panels, but i got stuck with centering image with eyeballs.
How to shift screen to place it right forward to each eyeball?

Thanks



I'm stuck there as well :(
I used Paint.net to manually trim 460 pixels from the insides of my test images. Which worked out alright.

I've dinked around with the Vireio Perception driver, but I haven't spent enough time with it to see if it can support a general "pinching" of the buffer.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/new-vireio-site

EDIT
I should mention that each of my 1280x800 display modules show as a 1920x1080 display to the computer (3840x1080 total). So I cut 460 pixels off of two 1920 images and stitched them together.


Last edited by Bass on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:24 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
Turkeyboy111 wrote:
I'm interested, do you still have the original plans? That seem to have been deleted from this thread now that it's a legitimate product. Also, what is the link to the site you bought the lenses and LCD displays.


Sorry, wasn't sure if you were asking me or foisi.

I didn't use anything but the info that foisi left in this thread. So no plans, sorry : (

The angle of the entire thing is about 130°
The lenses were cut 44mm in from the edge.
The nose cutout of the lenses is 120° and start 24mm from the centerline, towards the cut edge.
The screen to front of lens stack distance is kept at 60mm, to match the focal length of the lense stack.
(I went way overboard on most of my cuts, so you should experiment with these measures)

I could also upload a scan of the exact template that I used when cutting the lenses, if it would help.

Here's a list of the products that I bought for this project:
(4x) Optolife FRL021 DIY Projector Lenses - http://optolife.com/diy_projector_lens/FRL021.html
(2x) AIHome 7" 1280x800 display module with driver board - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GAD328?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02
DisplayPort to HDMI splitter - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYHANTG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
(2x) Amazon Basics HDMI cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00870ZHCQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Amazon Basics DisplayPort cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3Q59U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Not included in the list is the 12V 8A PSU from my 3d printer that I had to rig for the displays (defiantly go for two 12V wall warts or similar if using these displays), and my assortment of LEGO pieces :D

Let me know if you need anything else.


Last edited by Bass on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
cybereality wrote:
LEGOs!! Wow, that's boss.


Thanks :D


Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am
Posts: 23
Reply with quote
You should be able to shift the images by using lenses that are cut off center.


Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:32 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 am
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Hello is possible found zip fosi foam ?


Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:03 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:43 pm
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
FMPrime wrote:
You should be able to shift the images by using lenses that are cut off center.


I only cut the lenses on one side, which aligns the optical centers of the fresnels with my eyes.
Is that what you meant by off center?


Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am
Posts: 23
Reply with quote
Bass wrote:
I only cut the lenses on one side, which aligns the optical centers of the fresnels with my eyes.
Is that what you meant by off center?


Yes, moving the optical center of the fresnel lenses will shift the image of the screen in the opposite direction.


Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:34 am
Profile
Petrif-Eyed
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:23 pm
Posts: 2220
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Reply with quote
FMPrime wrote:
Bass wrote:
I only cut the lenses on one side, which aligns the optical centers of the fresnels with my eyes.
Is that what you meant by off center?


Yes, moving the optical center of the fresnel lenses will shift the image of the screen in the opposite direction.


This doesn't sound right. Moving the optical lens center doesn't move the optical center of the screen. You have to offset render the image so that it aligns with the optical lens center.


Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:50 am
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am
Posts: 23
Reply with quote
If the screens are fixed in relation to the eyes, moving the Fresnel's optic center is analogous to introducing a thin prism into the optical path.
Image

Software adjustment of the images is good for IPD compensation, which might be easier to use for shifting the images than cutting new fresnels. You'll probably find some IPD compensation code in the drivers you're modifying.


Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:13 am
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Bass wrote:
I didn't use anything but the info that foisi left in this thread. So no plans, sorry : (

The angle of the entire thing is about 130°
The lenses were cut 44mm in from the edge.
The nose cutout of the lenses is 120° and start 24mm from the centerline, towards the cut edge.
The screen to front of lens stack distance is kept at 60mm, to match the focal length of the lense stack.
(I went way overboard on most of my cuts, so you should experiment with these measures)

I could also upload a scan of the exact template that I used when cutting the lenses, if it would help.

Here's a list of the products that I bought for this project:
(4x) Optolife FRL021 DIY Projector Lenses - http://optolife.com/diy_projector_lens/FRL021.html
(2x) AIHome 7" 1280x800 display module with driver board - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GAD328?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02
DisplayPort to HDMI splitter - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYHANTG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
(2x) Amazon Basics HDMI cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00870ZHCQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Amazon Basics DisplayPort cable - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3Q59U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Not included in the list is the 12V 8A PSU from my 3d printer that I had to rig for the displays (defiantly go for two 12V wall warts or similar if using these displays), and my assortment of LEGO pieces :D

Let me know if you need anything else.


Bass, I would be grateful if you could upload a scan of the exact template that you used when cutting the lenses!


Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:23 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.