It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Emulating existing Vive Controller 
One Eyed Hopeful

Hi everyone,

We are a VR startup developing another locomotion system for VR and have received great feedback so far.
The only problem is compatibility, so we were wondering if there's a possiblity to access the touchpad of the Vive controllers with our locomotion system (since the touchpad is usually used for walking).

We already managed to implement 2 additional virtual vive controllers that we can emulate (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZNttWb ... qZS9rGM_QA).
Unfortunately now we have 4 controllers in the game (the 2 virtual and the 2 normal ones), but only two of them are recognized by any application.

I can imagine two possible solutions:
1. if we walk with our locomotion system, an HID command is sent to the PC. This command is then being recognized by a software which translates it to the openVR API to trigger the touchpad of the existing vive controllers.
2. We somehow manage the games to recognize 4 controllers, this might also work.

I hope you understand our problem and could point us in the right direction. If you think you can figure out a solution we would also be happy to work together with you!

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 am
One Eyed Hopeful

This may be a good starting point for you: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:02 am
One Eyed Hopeful

well, one idea is that you could enable playing VR games with a keyboard and mouse on a 2d monitor. This is probably the original intent of the emulator, but I think thats more from a developer perspective...

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]