It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The Client-to-Cloud Revolution is Happening 
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Hello MTBSers!  The secret to our longevity has always been to be in and involved with what's next.  We believe the client to cloud revolution is what's next.  It speaks to the future computing ecosystem, it speaks to a new direction the industry is heading into, and we believe it's going to introduce new types of applications and experiences well beyond what we've had available to us until now.

To help enable this, The International Future Computing Association is making the client-to-cloud revolution its core theme for its 2019 International Future Computing Summit.  Making things even cooler is this is the first time we are holding the conference (formerly known as Immersed) in Silicon Valley at the Computer History Museum November 5-6, 2019.  It's about time we made the move, so we're doing it!
Read more: The Client-to-Cloud Revolution is Happening
Read full article...

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Cross Eyed!

I'm hardly convinced by all that "cloud" stuff that we see nowadays.

Firstly the "cloud" name is misleading, it's just a marketing name for client server architecture. So it's something very centralized, while the name suggest something diffuse.

The technical idea behind "cloud" thing is the final user computer (whatever it is at desk or at home) view his computing power wasted, because most of the time his power is far away to be 100% in use. So it would be more efficient to have a central server that share his resources, and users just have a net terminal or even a smartphone.

The user may think he will gain mobility and flexibility, for example he could connect to his services on multiple or any location, with a right identification system.

But the truth is that the client and the final user become captive. Often, he do not own his own data. When this kind of system is in use, the cloud solution provider become a god, especially if he is external to the company where it is in use. He can change the prices at his will, and the user have no other choice than to pay or to loose his datas.
That is especially obvious with Microsoft solutions.

On my personal experience, all my clients that choose cloud solutions or very client server oriented systems, it always lead to performance and user experience degradation, especially when the system is national-sized.

But why? Because you need a very strong network architecture, while the client to cloud is supposed to be a low-cost thing, and because in a cloud solution in a company, on the same country, everybody works quite at the same time, so the sharing resources philosophy is not that efficient.

The last bad point is that the global world oil production should peak before end 2025 (according to IEA world energy outlook 2018). What if the cloud servers you use are in a country that heavily rely on oil for electricity when we will face the oil crunch?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 am

These are very good discussion points. I think it is fair to say that what exists today and the models that exist today are still at an early threshold of where things are heading. Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Neil

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

I have had a music subscription for years now it has been awesome to have the 5 million or more songs on-demand streaming anytime on my phone and computers. It costs $9.99 a month for the service and that's like the price of one CD a month. I don't mind buying the Cd's and I still buy used ones at Goodwill when I go there for 2 bucks and then convert the cd to mp3 and .wav.

The thing is these services are getting integrated into our devices software. Like I have a google home mini speaker and google assistant with google chromecast for my tv's. So if I want to play music from Spotify (Any song I choose) all I have to do is say "hey google, play spice girls on living room tv". And then the music will play on my home theatre speaker system.

Even though I don't own the music and that's how the artists and label want it to be (less piracy) I can play over 10 million songs without having to get up and load the cd. The quality is really good too.

I think you will see more and more of the on-demand client to cloud since the piracy and copy will come down a lot. Not buying the hardware will be HUGE. there are a lot of people who buy laptops and just want to play and have a simple interface and connection. Fewer towers, power, and space.

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:39 pm
Profile WWW

Dom, I think you are on the ball in more ways than you realize. ;)

Regards,
Neil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 am
Profile WWW

To back it up further:

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/NeilSchneider/20190617/344838/Grasping_the_ClienttoCloud_Revolution.php

Regards,
Neil

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

I would really like to see a speed boost in my processors in my Windows OS laptops, tablets, Netbook that are from years ago and only have an Atom processor or like a single or dual-core CPU. These devices sometimes struggle even just with loading the OS even on an Android tablet and phone. If somehow google or others can utilize the supercomputer mainframes to give some extra power to slow devices over wifi or LTE (5G) that would be Huge for productivity and allow more apps to work in the background on these devices boosting sales.

And more people will go towards a purchase of a $150 tablet that advertises CPU boost over wifi on supercomputer network than spending $500 on an 8 core CPU tablet, it's like 20 over 1 to buy the cheaper solution and will boost software sales too for quick load times and speed.

I really want to see portable devices achieve a decent performance boost in the future without having to pay a lot of money up front.

Thanks,

Dom

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

Holy cow, Dom! :D

There is like a super computer driving your brain. You completely see where things are heading, why, and why people should be so freaking excited and on the ball with this.

Regards,
Neil

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Hey Neil, I read your article on Gamasutra: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/NeilSch ... lution.php

Sounds like there are some questions still unanswered like cost, offline mode, power sources, manageability, client numbers ect...

I would say that the service should be cheap like for processor boost like $5-10 dollars a month for up to 5 computers allowed on supercomputer network for OS enhancements. Cost is a huge factor in peoples decision to use the service. That is why Netflix was successful because it was only 8 dollars for all you can watch.

If the service subscribes to green power then there should always be power coming in but maybe more expensive at the start, I think that in the supercomputer there needs to be virtualization there too in that the software is already been cached and processed to all the client requests only need to be sent out on the internet and the supercomputer processors are mostly dormant not using as much power, maybe only for a new machine learning code of new software upgrades and security.

I don't think offline mode should be available for the client to cloud, I think there will need to be Micro USB - USB - C and USB mini 5G adapters for Android and Windows OS. The only way offline mode on a computer could work is if that client computer has some of the machine learning code installed and is running to enhance the processor's functions since the AI will already know to do and know the process stored on the hard disk and memory.

I think eventually the data centers will evolve into Photonics Fibre optic processing and transfer technology where there is LIGHT Path Processing (I heard that copper wires only achieve 10gbps max)

If there are going to be 2 billion devices online on the supercomputer network then there will have to be compression of the data and stream and the machine learning will need to be structured that it does not interfere with the client connection. There could be an update for each client computer each time there is a new game or software installed onto the client computer for the machine learning code to function and connect properly. I would say there would be an app for each OS to install and service on a new client computer subscription too.

Anyways that's what I think it should be like in the future, I did contact companies years ago about supercomputer HPC High-Performance Computing and thought about this service lots before.

Dom

Cyberia on Youtube

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Hi, Neil. Another technology to work on with your group would be wireless power where you have a power router transmitter and the electromagnetic power charges your devices in your home like how wifi works for internet only for power charging. :D

Thanks,

Dom

Cyberia on Youtube

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:13 pm
Profile WWW

I don't think that would work. I read about wireless power charging, and my understanding is it is only good for extremely short ranges and it is relatively inefficient. Good for smart watches, but something wide scale like that - I just don't know. Sounds cool though!

Regards,
Neil

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Hey guys so I was talking about 5G service on dslreport.com forums too and the techs and people in the cell industry and cable co's think a whole lot different about what we need 5G for, look here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32480 ... nnectivity

They think that 5G is NOT supposed to be a world utopia groundbreaking tech and its Blah! I thought I knew what I was talking about on their forums but they are the ones who seem to be always correct.

Cyberia on Youtube

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:09 pm
Profile WWW

I wouldn't call 5G a utopia! It's going to take years for 5G (and other tech) to get to the levels we are planning for. However, there is much that can be achieved in the interim and even more to plan for in the not too distant future.

Regards,
Neil

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]