It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Need For Speed Heat 
One Eyed Hopeful

About game:

Hustle by day and risk it all at night in Need for Speed™ Heat, a white-knuckle street racer, where the lines of the law fade as the sun starts to set. By day, Palm City hosts the Speedhunter Showdown, a sanctioned competition where you earn Bank to customize and upgrade your high-performance cars. At night, ramp up the intensity in illicit street races that build your reputation, getting you access to bigger races and better parts. But stay ready – cops are waiting and not all of them play fair.

Release Date
November 8, 2019

Did someone tried this game in 3D, it uses the same engine as payback, so maybe it can be played with DHR fix ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 am
Cross Eyed!

I'll start to take a look at this since it's on EA Origin Premier. I was waiting to start up my EA sub for Jedi: Fallen Order, but I've just started my sub now so I could take a look at this first.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:01 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Wow!

Thank You very much for looking in to this one :)

This is minimal compensation for me not playing RDR 2, because I love both series, but RDR is 2D & I can't play that way, sometimes I regret that I have tried 3D :)

Hope there is not much to fix after universal fix. But do You know where to download universal Frostbite fix, because in Nvidia forum I have found topic, but there are no links & files.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:33 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

The day with fix from Payback is good except sky, but night is a little bit more messy :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:24 pm
Cross Eyed!

Yeah, main reason I'm willing to look at this is because I was planning on working on RDR2 this week, but that's clearly out. I worked on FB engine before with Anthem, so have some prior knowledge and experience. Based on your screenshots should be a few fairly simple adjustments. I was hoping to look at this today, but I'm a bit under the weather and apparently taking a swig of Benylin after having a drink of scotch earlier ain't a good mix, so I'm a bit woozy atm :? and I may need to hold off until tomorrow. Bleh.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:14 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

DJ-RK wrote:
Yeah, main reason I'm willing to look at this is because I was planning on working on RDR2 this week, but that's clearly out. I worked on FB engine before with Anthem, so have some prior knowledge and experience. Based on your screenshots should be a few fairly simple adjustments. I was hoping to look at this today, but I'm a bit under the weather and apparently taking a swig of Benylin after having a drink of scotch earlier ain't a good mix, so I'm a bit woozy atm :? and I may need to hold off until tomorrow. Bleh.

Hope that You had a good time :)

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:17 pm
Cross Eyed!

Quick progress update. Things are underway. I got stuck in the same trap I got stuck in while working on my Anthem fix on one particular effect (car rims, of all things), and spent a very considerable amount of time banging my head against a wall. Found a different solution than the one I wanted and sought after, which is both fortunate and unfortunate. Fortunate that I learned a new regex technique that I sought after before (thanks to a little direction from our guru DSS). Unfortunate because the method I sought after is a fairly standard and critical method of fixing things, and the fact I can't use that may be problematic for future FB3 engine fixes. There are still other, more archaic methods to employ, but fortunately did not have to use them at this point.

In addition to rims, I've fixed the sky/clouds I've seen so far, and hopefully my regex will catch the rest (if not, it's just a matter of adding a few tweaks to the pattern) and what little I've seen of the game is mostly fixed now. I adjusted the HUD, but it's also a bit weird. Required a bit of a different formula, and somehow the ingame HUD stuff (like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc place letters and the character portraits above cars) just don't feel right to me, but they are serviceable so I'm not sure if I'll rework them or not. I'd still like another day before I put out a WIP, because I still have to fix lens flares and such, and think that would be too distracting to enjoy the game, but once those are taken care of I think it'll be good to go.

On the downside, I must say, I'm actually NOT enjoying playing this. a) I absolutely hate modern rap music, and this soundtrack is laden with that stuff and not much better stuff in between, and b) I'm a little butthurt that I couldn't get first place in the first legitimate race I did. Got beaten out just at the finish line on my first attempt, and each subsequent attempt the lead racer just seemed unbeatable. I can't really seem to get a good grasp on the arcadey controls in this, and feel I'm too slow if I brake for corners and if I try going fast and drifting I'm flying into walls and being just as slow coming out of the turns regaining traction even if I don't crash. Maybe it's just the shitty first car I got, and hopefully it'll grow on me. Otherwise I might drop this once I get the game into a playable state, and switch over to fixing the new Grid game, since I've got my racing wheel setup that I can use for that (don't think a wheel will go well with this game).

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Good to hear that You made progress with this fix :) Hope it won't take much more of Your time.

Yea the first car is really shitty & even first You will buy at start will be not good enough, but after some upgrades mostly to pro parts, then it will go much better.
The controls in this game is different than in other parts of NFS, especially braking is strange when You double tap you go drifting, but it some kind feels awkward.
I play it with controller so about wheel can't tell anything.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 am
One Eyed Hopeful

DJ-RK wrote:
On the downside, I must say, I'm actually NOT enjoying playing this. a) I absolutely hate modern rap music, and this soundtrack is laden with that stuff and not much better stuff in between, and b) I'm a little butthurt that I couldn't get first place in the first legitimate race I did. Got beaten out just at the finish line on my first attempt, and each subsequent attempt the lead racer just seemed unbeatable. I can't really seem to get a good grasp on the arcadey controls in this, and feel I'm too slow if I brake for corners and if I try going fast and drifting I'm flying into walls and being just as slow coming out of the turns regaining traction even if I don't crash. Maybe it's just the shitty first car I got, and hopefully it'll grow on me. Otherwise I might drop this once I get the game into a playable state, and switch over to fixing the new Grid game, since I've got my racing wheel setup that I can use for that (don't think a wheel will go well with this game).

Lol - Thanks for mentioning these matters, rap doesn't belong in this genre, we need some adrenaline pumping rock, I'll avoid this title, but ofc nice to see a fix though :)

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:51 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Guys this is the best NFS game since Most Wanted 2005! Don't give up on it so easily!
I agree that I'm not crazy about rap, but the strong points outweigh the negatives on this game. This game fixes so much of what was lacking in Payback (and even Payback was better than the previous game).
The handling model on the NFS titles made by Ghost Studios has FINALLY gotten good. Heat feels so much better than the previous titles. Performance parts actually make a noticeable difference and in quantifiable terms - unlike the previous game. The game is absolutely gorgeous and a blast to drive through. The day and night gameplay feature is really well executed, and the car customization has reached the pinnacle.

I am a car guy, so my impressions may be a little bit biased - I realize that most of you shaderhackers don't have strong leanings toward the racing genre. But this game easily scores a 7/10 for me.

I would love a 3D fix, although I'm not expecting one - two years ago Payback was fixed, but I never could get the fix working on my system. This is one game I'm capable of enjoying in Cyclops Vision. ;)

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:29 pm
Cross Eyed!

Don't worry, haven't given up on it. Currently in game now trying to squeak out a couple of final fixes before posting up the fix. I can't stress enough how garbage of an engine Frostbyte is from a fixing standpoint. I could go into detail about how and why I might not be able to fix screenspace reflections better than they are, but probably only one or two people might understand it. Fortunately they aren't completely borked out of the box, just not completely at the right depth, so they look fine on large bodies of water or when things are moving slow, but when they are reflecting off of the 100 million puddles all over the road (even in complete daylight, with no signs of rain) as you are speeding down a raceway they can be a little distracting. A few other screen effects can't be fixed perfectly because they are lacking depth information in the shaders (and I can't implement an auto-depth shader because, again, Frostbyte says FU). But I have pushed them into depth, and provided a nice assortment of disable keys for those that might be preferred to be toggled off.

And yeah, the first thing I did when I loaded up the game again after my last post was turn the music volume all the way down, and my enjoyment of the game immediately improved. Still, the game just REEKS of younger generation douchiness. Like, every time I win a race my character bops around with his head nodding, while his face is glued to his phone, only to look up for a selfie or get his picture taken by a photographer, to instantly resume said head bopping and phone fixation. The fact I picked the guy with the pink shirt (the rest of the characters looked like bums and unattractive skanks) multiplies the douchiness 100 fold. lol.

Which is a shame because I will agree: the gameplay is pretty darn good. Once I got out of the shitty first car, which was more drift oriented, and into some cars tuned for racing style and grip (and then tuning them further as such) I was able to dominate the races accordingly. Cop chases can be fun, but it seems like there are times where it's just impossible to shake 'em, whenever I take one out there's still another one one me and have 2 more join in 10 seconds later, and then boom, killswitched in 2 seconds, or busted at the slightest bit of a stop, so that's a bit hit and miss for me.

Anyways, gonna get back to it so I can hopefully get this up before I head off to bed in a few hours.

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:12 pm
Cross Eyed!

She's up: https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2019/11/n ... -heat.html

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Wow!

Thank You very much for fix, now the game will look even more beautiful then played with Payback fix :)

Now plan for weekend is set :)

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:57 am
One Eyed Hopeful

DJ-RK wrote:
Still, the game just REEKS of younger generation douchiness. Like, every time I win a race my character bops around with his head nodding, while his face is glued to his phone, only to look up for a selfie or get his picture taken by a photographer, to instantly resume said head bopping and phone fixation. The fact I picked the guy with the pink shirt (the rest of the characters looked like bums and unattractive skanks) multiplies the douchiness 100 fold. lol.

Well said, and quite true, LOL. I have the same impression.... It doesn't just stop at appearances... the dialogue between your avatar and the main character of the game, Ana, is really immature. They sound like 14-yr-olds communicating with one another. I guess we're just #olds now, LOL.

But seriously, I just ignore that stuff, and fortunately once you get far enough into the game (which isn't that far) you can change your clothes. Have a good laugh at all the possibilities, then pick out something relatively normal looking. My character sports a ball cap, glasses, a hoodie, full-length pants, and some normal looking shoes... It covers up the douchiness pretty well.

As for the music, this is a tip you may already know, but just in case.... What I have done for past NFS titles (after spending 200+ hrs in a game ANY soundtrack gets old) is I'll start up Media Player and form my own soundtrack. After muting the in-game music, you can alt-tab your way between the game and media player to adjust the volume inside the player itself. This allows you to adjust the music volume appropriate to the system volume... meaning, I can turn the master volume up on the surround speakers to a comfortable level for the in-game sounds, then I adjust the music volume in the media player accordingly. It works like a charm and you'd never know you weren't listening to the game music.

Thanks very much for the fix! I won't be able to try it until this evening, but it's really awesome that you did it!

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]