LG OLED 55C9... any chance for 3D Vision?

b4thman
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: LCD shutter glasses

LG OLED 55C9... any chance for 3D Vision?

Post by b4thman »

I have just bought an TV OLED LG 55C9. Even though I know it is not 3D TV, it seems to have everything that a normal monitor needs to be 3D capable. I connect the tv using HDMI port (seems to be ready to HDMI 2.1).

I can play 2D games using 2K resolution @ 120 hz. So..., why not to split in 60x60 using Nvidia 3d Vision?

I wonder if there is any small chance of making this tv 3D ready.

PD: this TV received a new firmware recently making it G-sync compatible. I think there is no g-sync hardware inside the TV, but apparenty g-sync can be emulated by sofware??? I really don't understand this, but the result is that I can select g-syunc in Nvidia CP and the gameplay experience is as smooth as when playing with my Dell S2716DG monitor (g-sync monitor).

So..., why not receive a new firmware to make the TV 3D Vision compatible? I don't know is there is any problem with that.

Dark_saiyens
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: LG OLED 55C9... any chance for 3D Vision?

Post by Dark_saiyens »

lol.
No.

bo3bber
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by bo3bber »

Not too likely.

Even monitors that are already gsync ready don't work with 3D because of the time timings required for 3D Vision to operate.

I don't the gsync hardware matters too much here, it's really the pixel switch time.

However, OLED have very fast switch times, like 10x better than LCD, so I think this is not impossible.

Since you already have the TV, I'd say it's worth giving it a try at least.

Use your 3D Vision glasses, and setup the TV as a generic CRT display in the control panel. Make sure it's not 3D TV Play, that's not going to work.

Use the regular pyramid for the glasses sync. Turn off any TV imaging stuff, use a 'game' mode or low-latency mode.

Please let us know if it even seems remotely close.

b4thman
Cross Eyed!

Post by b4thman »

It works (apparently)

I have just made a very short test using Windows 7 (my windows 10 is 1903, so I don't even have 3D Vision drivers installed). When I clone my TV with my monitor and select TV as the primary screen, the option of the Nvidia CP related to 3D Vision let me use the TV as a "generic CTR". In the 3D Vision test I can not change refresh rate, I only have 120 hz available (of course I can change refresh rates outside when using in 2D). The big problem is that the quality of the image is not good enough because, even though it is 3D picture, there is too much ghosting.

But this is more than I thought, the emitter is working together with the TV and the glasses.

Dark_saiyens
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

b4thman wrote:It works (apparently)

I have just made a very short test using Windows 7 (my windows 10 is 1903, so I don't even have 3D Vision drivers installed). When I clone my TV with my monitor and select TV as the primary screen, the option of the Nvidia CP related to 3D Vision let me use the TV as a "generic CTR". In the 3D Vision test I can not change refresh rate, I only have 120 hz available (of course I can change refresh rates outside when using in 2D). The big problem is that the quality of the image is not good enough because, even though it is 3D picture, there is too much ghosting.

But this is more than I thought, the emitter is working together with the TV and the glasses.
Yeah, i was a bit fast by writing "No" But like bo3bber said yo you, there is a timing problem and it seem too hard forr us to make it works right. I ever seen nobody having a good active 3D vision with screen not certified 3D Vision Ready... :(
I hope you would have better image quality by changing timings, keep us in touch it is very interesting! Good luck !

b4thman
Cross Eyed!

Post by b4thman »

I am not sure about how to change timings. If "change timings" is something related to options using the TV (game mode, etc), I think I have tried every options that the TV let me change. I can not see any particular differece, but anyways the last setting configured on the TV is in "game mode" and I have disabled any possible filter or post process that is possible to change.

I feel that I have seen in the past a problem that show a very similar result to this one, using my 3D certified monitor but with max refresh rates forced to highest by 3dmigoto (144hz in my monitor) instead of 120hz. And I have experieced again that problem when returning back to my primary 3D monitor instead of the TV. I have solved now the problem using Nvidia inspector and setting Global Driver Profile/Prefered Refreshrate to "Use the 3D Application settings". So when in 144hz the 3D picture was wrong, but when forced to be in sync with the 3D diver (120 hz) is right.

Maybe it is needed an specific driver for the TV, to make the Nvidia 3D driver know what exactly are the posibilities of the TV, instead of just "generic CTR".

I will continue testing things late (trying to use Nvidia inspector to force refresh rates with the TV), now it is impossible. I don't have much idea about all this stuff, but I will try with things.
Last edited by b4thman on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pauldusler
Cross Eyed!

Post by Pauldusler »

I also recently bought a 55C9 (for 2D) but also was curious and tested 3D capability.

My results are identical to b4thman's. Too much ghosting but surprisingly the ghosting is only visible at 40% of the screen - mainly at the top and the bottom. The rest is pretty much perfect.
I think the TV would be perfectly 3D Vision Ready if LG had implemented black frame insertion with 120hz. With C9 model black frame insertion is still limited to 60hz.
Maybe with C10 120hz black frame insertion will be introduced which seems to be pretty much the same as ULMB. So chances are not too bad that the C10 will be "3D Vision Ready".

The cool thing of C9 is that it's perfectly suitable for (2D) gaming offering a superb image quality and perfect black values at a reasonably price. I wasn't able to tell a difference between my Asus PG278QR and LG OLED C9 concerning input lag.
Looking forward for incoming graphics cards this year offering HDMI 2.1 in order to use VRR with 4K up to 120hz with this TV.

bo3bber
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by bo3bber »

Pauldusler wrote:I also recently bought a 55C9 (for 2D) but also was curious and tested 3D capability.

My results are identical to b4thman's. Too much ghosting but surprisingly the ghosting is only visible at 40% of the screen - mainly at the top and the bottom. The rest is pretty much perfect.
I think the TV would be perfectly 3D Vision Ready if LG had implemented black frame insertion with 120hz. With C9 model black frame insertion is still limited to 60hz.
Maybe with C10 120hz black frame insertion will be introduced which seems to be pretty much the same as ULMB. So chances are not too bad that the C10 will be "3D Vision Ready".

The cool thing of C9 is that it's perfectly suitable for (2D) gaming offering a superb image quality and perfect black values at a reasonably price. I wasn't able to tell a difference between my Asus PG278QR and LG OLED C9 concerning input lag.
Looking forward for incoming graphics cards this year offering HDMI 2.1 in order to use VRR with 4K up to 120hz with this TV.
@b4thman, @pauldusler: Very interesting results for this TV. I'd really expect it to work better than that, since OLED switches so fast, but nothing beats real life tests. Thanks for giving this a try and letting us know.

I think this is not going to work for 3D Vision, because Paul's experiment shows accurate in the middle, and bad on top and bottom. Accurate in the middle means that the timing sync is actually correct, syncing up image with the glasses.

Bad on top and bottom means that the sweet spot for accurate 3D is too small at 120Hz. That means it can't run at 120Hz. But... worth trying at 100Hz, or even lower. Glasses will sync down to something like 85Hz, and it would be worth playing with that. Going slower sync will widen the sweet spot and maybe work, if you can talk the TV into a lesser sync rate.

russellk
Two Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D desktop monitor

Post by russellk »

I think the short answer is no. Check out : https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 05&t=23330

@Paul - yes, I believe we need BFI to have any chance of success with the LG OLEDS. The new 'X' series have been announced today but no confirmation of BFI @ 120Hz, which was promised then withdrawn from the 9 series :-(
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH), 9700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, BenQ XL2420T 3d surround, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector (3dtvplay), WMR Odyssey+, WIn 19 1809 (425.31), Win 7 Pro x64

b4thman
Cross Eyed!

Post by b4thman »

It is not possible to test with 100 hz or lower, the only option that appears in the Nvidia CP is 120 hz. That is why I thought the solution could be using an specific driver to let Windows know what are the capabilities of this TV.
Last edited by b4thman on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

3DNovice
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3DNovice »

b4thman wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:37 pm
PD: this TV received a new firmware recently making it G-sync compatible. I think there is no g-sync hardware inside the TV, but apparenty g-sync can be emulated by sofware??? I really don't understand this, but the result is that I can select g-syunc in Nvidia CP and the gameplay experience is as smooth as when playing with my Dell S2716DG monitor (g-sync monitor).
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... uncements/

VRR also works on Surround via Display Port with an Nvidia GPU, if the Display is certified.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... lable-now/

Turing GPUs can do 4K VRR, Nvidia added that portion of HDMI 2.1 support, however, this does not include 4K@120Hz support.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15057/lg ... are-update
https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what ... d-to-know/

Currently 4K@120Hz, is only fully capable with a monitor that supports DSC, otherwise The Lazy Brown Fox test fails

Such as the ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ, https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/news/2e8925e

Nvidia offers an Update (if needed)
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv ... pdate-x64/

ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by ZePRiNCE »

It will probably don't help, but just in case...

On my C6, setting "game" mode / disabling all post-effects / etc. is not enough.
I have to change the icon of the HDMI input to "PC" (or "Console"). Yes, the icon !
Doing this reduces the ghosting by 4.
CM: Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7 8086k Delid @ 5.2GHz / 1.405v
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3333 MHz CL16 (2x16Go)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition
3DTV: LG 65C6V

whyme466
Cross Eyed!
Which stereoscopic 3D solution do you primarily use?: S-3D HDTV

Post by whyme466 »

Curious, how does 3D Vision kit connect/sync to HDMI-based displays like C9? Are there any plans (like Kickstarter) for next gen 3D Vision kit?

Is brightness loss with Black Frame Insertion noticeable on these types of displays?
Last edited by whyme466 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

b4thman
Cross Eyed!

Post by b4thman »

I forgot the idea of 3D with this TV in the last 3 months, and suddenly I have just made another test.

I have tried with the different "icons" (PC, console, HDMI, etc),but nothing is better. I prefer to stay with PC icon because it is supposed to be better if I use pc signal (with this icon I can not modify a lot of video parameters..., I guess they are disabled). With this icon I also can take advantage of g-sync compatibility.

It is curious that, when testing the 3D image using the Nvidia Control Panel, the geometry of the two images changes sometimes (not always). It is as if something (I guess the TV, not the nvidia driver) is trying to put things in order. When the image is "in order" I can see a 3D picture, but with too much ghosting. I have to say that, in my television, the ghosting is very noticeable at top, a bit less at middle, and almost zero ghosting at bottom).

I have tried different refresh rates lowering resolution (if I use 1080x1920 I can try with 120 hz, 119, 100, etc), but the result is the same.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”