It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Nvidia 3D Vision stereo support fpr Linux 
One Eyed Hopeful

Hello,
my System consists of Ubuntu Linux 11.10 with a Nvidia Quadro graphics card and new driver 304.43. I'm using Nvidia 3D Vision 2 glasses.
Driver is installed correctly, and I tested the quad buffered stereo with the application VMD successfully.

Now my question:
Is it possible to force stereo output for openGL applications that do not support it directly? Or is a modification of source code necessary?
I want to run an application written with the OGRE engine in stereo mode.
I think this is possible under Windows, but how to do it under Linux?

There seems to be a patch for the OGRE engine, but it was only tested on windows and I don't know how to apply it on Linux..
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=302997

Thanks for your support,
Markus Noack

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:00 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Bottom line: it won't work on Linux.

The consumer 3D Vision is very different from the Quadro 3D Vision support. The former has an Automatic mode for Direct3D games, allowing you to "force" 3D even if the games did not originally support it. The latter involves supporting a special OpenGL API for 3D (called "quad-buffer"). Thing is, no game or engine that I know of uses that special OpenGL API. Since it's only really supported on Quadro and other pro-level cards, it doesn't make too much sense for game developers to target it.

I'm in the same boat. Even though Steam is available for Ubuntu now, and I'm excited about all the new titles coming for Ubuntu, I still dual-boot with Windows 7 when I want to play 3D Vision games.

There is little hope of the situation changing. It would require NVIDIA to support Automatic mode for OpenGL as well as Direct3D, which I believe is quite an endeavor.

For the record, I am a game developer, and I have managed to create an OpenGL/Direct3D bridge that allows me to support 3D Vision in my games, even though they are written in OpenGL. However, it requires me to build this support into my game. For games already out there, I fear there is no hope. If engines like OGRE incorporate somthing like I made, I guess it would be possible, but it's a rather major change to the engine. I think it's worth it, and you should lobby the OGRE devs. :) I have a loooong post on this forum explaining the technical challenges, which could give them a good head start!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]