‘Glasses-free 3D’ hits big time as Toshiba sets a date and price for 55-inch set – with a resolution FOUR TIMES hi-def
- Array of tiny lenses ‘aims’ left eye and right eye images at each viewer
- Face-tracking technology inside set ‘sees’ where viewers are sitting
- Screen has a resolution of 4000×3000 pixels
- First consumer TV with ‘4K’ resolution – even though there is no way to watch a film in 4K so far
- Peter Jackson is to film The Hobbit in ‘4K’
By Rob Waugh
‘Glasses-free’ 3D has taken another step towards the mainstream, as Toshiba announces a price and release date for the first large set to hit the home.
On December 10, Toshiba’s REGZA 553X is also capable of ‘4K’ resolutions – four times current hi-def sets.
Sadly, the price should ensure the ‘naked eye’ 3D set doesn’t hit the mainstream straight away – it will be £7,400, and only available in Japan. It will launch in the UK early next year, price to be confirmed.
Read the whole story here.