AMD Set to Enable Ultimate Visual Experience for Consumer PCs with Windows 7
AMD Congratulates Microsoft on the RTM Milestone of Windows 7
SUNNYVALE, Calif. –(Business Wire)– Jul 22, 2009 AMD (NYSE: AMD):
* AMD (NYSE: AMD) today congratulates Microsoft Corp. on the Release-to-Manufacturing of the Windows 7 operating system.
* Working with Microsoft, AMD has focused on addressing customers’ top computing priorities such as superior visual experience, better PC entertainment, a stable platform and great power management technology to help Microsoft deliver an outstanding, dynamic Windows 7 environment for consumers and businesses alike.
* Benefiting from a six-year collaboration between Microsoft and AMD, Windows 7 is designed to exploit the power of AMD mainstream multi-core and 64-bit microprocessor technology along with advanced 3D and video processing solutions to deliver a more visual, more entertaining, more powerful and richer computing experience on a stable and consistent platform.
* The compute shader, a feature of DirectX 11, will enable upcoming AMD DirectX 11 graphics cards used in Windows-7 capable systems to speed up a wide number of Windows 7 applications in a manner that’s completely transparent to users. For example, in seamlessly accelerating the conversion of video for playback on portable media players through a drag-and-drop interface.1
* AMD Business Class Technology and Windows 7 help drive business productivity with exceptional experience on visual applications such as Microsoft Office PowerPoint, video conferencing, and 3-D productivity. Additionally, AMD-V™, a feature on all AMD Phenom™, AMD Phenom™ II, AMD Turion™, AMD Athlon™ and AMD Athlon™ II processors, provides hardware virtualization support to help streamline PC management through Windows 7 Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. The reduction in overall power consumption enabled by AMD Business Class and Windows 7 helps extend battery and system life.
“Microsoft is a valued AMD technology partner and we are confident that our outstanding collaboration in the development of Windows 7 will provide a dynamic, visually rich computing experience and superior value, both for business needs and for consumers,” said Bob Grim, director, client product marketing, AMD. “The AMD-Microsoft collaboration is resulting in the development of unprecedentedly tight integration of hardware and software solutions in Windows 7. This results in a superior and simple user experience for customers.”
“AMD continues to be a great industry partner and we are very happy to work with them to deliver great premium experiences for our mutual customers. With technology such as DirectX 11 graphics cards, AMD understands PC users` needs by providing a dynamic entertainment experience,” said Mike Ybarra, General Manager, Windows Product Management, Microsoft Corp. “Because we worked closely with AMD in the development and test process of Windows 7, users running Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional on an AMD-based platform can experience a rich, fast computing experience.”
* AMD Virtualization Blog
* Ready.Set.7 Videos
* AMD Supports Windows 7 in ATI Catalyst™ 9.3 Unified Driver press release
* Download the ATI Catalyst driver
* Download the Windows 7 WHQL certified driver for ATI Radeon graphics
* AMD and Microsoft
* AMD CMO blog post on Windows 7 RC
* Download Windows 7 RC
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Share your thoughts in our discussion forums.