Hands Down the BEST VR at E3 Expo!

By June 19, 2015 News

We’re heading back to home base with much more to share from E3 Expo. To end the week off, I’m going to settle the debate on what was the best virtual reality experience I saw at E3 this year. It’s not exactly fair, but who cares.

While in line at this VR exhibit, I was pressured to get to our next appointment on time. I was admittedly getting frustrated as the line slowly grew shorter and shorter. “Was it worth it,” I asked myself. “Should I just leave,” I asked myself. 30 minutes in, I had reached the point where the opportunity cost of getting out of line was just too high. I’m glad I stuck to it!

Without a doubt and without a hesitation, the clear winner is Ubisoft’s Raving Rabbids Theme Park Ride. Armed with an Oculus Rift DK2 and a motion chair, Ubisoft managed to create a theme park experience that makes us forget the real world around us, and hang on to our seat for our dear furball lives! With a backdrop of minionesque Raving Rabbids, you are quickly blasted down a precipitous mountainside on a wooden sled. I was seriously blown away as I hesitantly looked around the environment getting ready for the next surprise. It was a serious rush. Did I care about resolution? No. Did I care about FOV? No. Was I still frustrated that I had been waiting in line so long? Heck no!

I kind of wish everyone could have moving chairs mixed with VR because once you have an experience like this, the debate between standing and sitting in virtual reality immediately becomes pointless. Congratulations to Ubisoft for showing everyone how it’s done!

Join the discussion 16 Comments

• Avatar Neil says:

Wow! These threads have a lot of views, but no comments. I’m wondering if people are having technical difficulties posting. If you can forgive the humor, sometimes these forums are as though someone has passed gas. Everyone smells it, but they are scared to speak up. :lol:

Regards,
    Neil

• Avatar cybereality says:

I haven’t heard of any technical problems. I think things are just slow.

• Avatar Likay says:

Who farted? :twisted:

• Avatar Neil says:

Nonsense. Normally, I would agree when the thread-counts are low; the readership is high now. Bunch of lurkers, I guess.

That’s the spirit! Get on with it, man! :lol:

Regards,
    Neil

• Avatar kevinw729 says:

@Neil:
    >”…as though someone has passed gas. Everyone smells it, but they are scared to speak up…”

You are as always very observant – to be frank Neil there is a lot of action going on in the background regarding the insurgence in interest in VR attractions against the consumer business plan in place!

It is a factor that certain parties have made their views cleared that they do not appreciate support of this approach till they are ready to play a part – a factor in the closed mouth edict! Not helped either that we champion the Digital Out-of-Home Entertainment (DOE) approach!

• Avatar Neil says:

Well, I haven’t heard anything, so I can’t exactly confirm such a thing. All I know is that this particular exhibit was the most amazing thing I saw in all of E3, and if I could, I’d run this thing on a loop in a vibrating chair all day. I can’t really see how any self-respecting media site would purposely not report on this demo or how MTBS members were somehow prevented from commenting on it. I for one don’t care what anybody thinks, and just write stories and experiences as I see them.

Regards,
    Neil

• Avatar Dom says:

Sorry I did not say sooner, But the front page login to comment on the article “does not work for me”. I login with my user name and password and throws out an error. Maybe its just my account or since I use Internet Explorer idk. Its been like this for a long time. I can login to the forums part of the site then go back to the front page section normally and everything else seems to work good.

I’ll try and get a screenshot,

• Avatar Neil says:

I definitely didn’t know about this!

We’ve got to get the site revamped anyway. Can you confirm exactly when you see the error and what you are doing to achieve it?

Regards,
    Neil

• Avatar Neil says:

I just logged in to IE and Firefox from the article comment page. After I log in, I get back to the front page of MTBS. However, I can then add comments to articles as I just have with this one. It would be better if it didn’t go to the front page of MTBS, but I think that’s a separate issue.

Can you share a screenshot of the actual error? What version of IE you are using, etc. Also try clearing cookies, cache, etc.

I’m wondering if others are having the same experience.

Regards,
    Neil

• Avatar Dom says:

Hi I made a short Video capture showing what I do. I am using Internet Explorer 11 and windows 8.1

Video: 86MB : http://cns-nynolyt.com/3dstuff/DomloginVid.mp4

I have a screenshot from Mozilla Firefox with the same thing, must be an error for accounts or something. It did the same thing on my workstation and on my gaming pc. Both windows 8.1 Internet explorer 11 Genuine and updated.
    domlogin.jpg