In this episode, we talk about Oculus’ announcement that there were over a million active Samsung Gear VR users in April (2016). We also have an interview with Joanna Webb from Pearson followed by our opinions on the Microsoft Hololens (finally got to try it!).
Turned out to be a fun episode!
QUICK UPDATE TO THIS STORY!
I reached out to Oculus for some fact checking, and according to their spokesperson Jim Redner, here is some additional data:
- Their statistic includes all Gear VR’s to date, though the majority is sourced from the consumer edition launched in November, 2015.
- April is the first month that Oculus / Samsung has achieved one million active users.
- Most video experiences tend to be short; ranging from a few minutes to ten minutes or so.
- There are currently thousands of videos in the Oculus platform being used as source material.
- 100% of the video described in this statistic is all from the Oculus platform. This includes 360 content, 2D videos, etc.