3D Warnings Legit, or Over the Top?

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

3D Warnings Legit, or Over the Top?

Post by PressBot »

When there are millions (billions?) of dollars at stake, it's completely understandable for legal departments to be cautious.  For us, it's important to remember that many MTBS members have been using this tech for years in countless shapes and forms with no ill effects.

Check out Samsung's 3D safety warnings list.  Set aside the legality of offering this technology for a moment.  Are these valid concerns?  Why or why not?

Share your thoughts below!
Read full article...
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D Warnings Legit, or Over the Top?

Post by craylon »

I bet even in the age of cavemen they had cave drawings with warning stickers "Do NOT throw your spear against the wall" when they displayed a mammut ;)
andysonofbob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by andysonofbob »

craylon wrote:I bet even in the age of cavemen they had cave drawings with warning stickers "Do NOT throw your spear against the wall" when they displayed a mammut ;)
hehe! /forehead slap/

Since playing games in stereo I no longer need glasses to drive, I can read plates easily from the minimum distance, I couldnt do that before. I can only assume it is because my eyes are focusing on distant objects instead of the screen!

But S3D is worth every penny if you ask me. :)

edit
My wife and neighbour complained of feeling sick afterwards so motion sickness is fair enough, the effect is very much like sitting in a modern car's safe bubble like environment, looking through a window. Also a friend and I felt a reality blur after our first solid gaming session using S3D. Again I believe that's because your depth perception has been fooled and depth perception is a biggy. But our neural dendrites must have reformed to compensate after a sleep because we have never felt the sensation since.

I guess if people use the devices ones they might panic thinking the effects get progressively worse instead of us assuming the possibility that we might adjust...
quadrophoeniX
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by quadrophoeniX »

Well, this kind of warning has been included in all and every single computer/video game for the last decade or so. So I think there may be some validity. And with known complains about some people getting headaches with (mostly unpropoer) S3D content and also taking DLP Link into accout Samsung may just seek for save grounds.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

A bumpy car ride is worse than watching stereo3d.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I think some of the concerns is related to the feeling of nausea when watching 3d first times. It seems to take a little time before the brain accepts the artificial way to see 3d. Usually when you feel ill it's because something is wrong. However many people suffers from travel sickness which should mean you shall not travel by car or boat....
We all know that this first nausea goes away after a little while. Most of use probably wont even remember having nausea for 3d.

It may be appropriate with warnings but for me as a long time stereouser this sounds ridiculous.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah I think they are legit. I have definitely found people that claimed 3D gave them a headache. So there is some merit. And motion sickness is certainly possible given the right (or wrong) content. And epilepsy is certainly a risk. And its not really all that different from the warnings on video games that they have been doing for years. So I see where Samsung is coming from. At the same time I don't think anyone has ever gotten hurt from stereo 3d but better be on the safe side right?
thetruth
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thetruth »

i wanted to go to bed, but i just can't resist posting something. to all those who think this is ridiculous, you've used s3d for years, blah blah blah... have you come to your conclusions through scientific method and robust clinical trials, or are we just talking opinions of what you "think" is safe for you?

sure, you could read some books or hear a physician tell you "no, s3d cannot hurt you in the long run" - but they would be irresponsible to tell you that. without proper clinical trials and a multivariate analysis spanning a decade, we really wouldn't know the long-term impact of chronic s3d use.

a great example of the importance of hypothesis testing in science and medicine is illustrated by the tragedy and controversy surround thalidomide – introduced to Europe in the 1960s to help combat morning sickness in pregnant women (was also used for a host of other things prior to that, but this one screwed the pooch)… the pill is a miracle drug and prescribed to thousands of pregnant women… all of a sudden, a trend started to appear all over Europe – a rather large number of women who took thalidomide also gave birth to deformed children with a condition called pharcomelia (commonly known as flipper babies) and nearly half of children born with pharcomelia died (a few studies place this figure somewhere between 40 and 50 percent).

Thalidomide was NEVER made available to pregnant mothers in the USA because we [the FDA] would not approve its use without knowing (within reason) the short and long-term effects – clinical data showed unexplainable anomalies between animal and human trials (each should be practically analogous) and there was simply not enough data in the original trials for the European countries to have allowed this therapy to hit the market. So prudence saved the USA from having what, 10k to 100k children born with severe deformities?

I hope you all see the point that without proper clinical trials, nothing that interferes with or alters the physiology of the body can be considered absolutely safe…. And in this increasingly litigious society we live in, can you blame these TV manufacturers for warnings? Sure this example is of a DRUG and S3D is just passive or active glasses plus a video source - but it is still relevant. Ask your ophthalmologist or optometrist what would happen if you had perfect vision and wore -1.5 glasses every day for a year. Or if you have -1.5 power glasses but wear 5.0 for a year. Your vision will be screwed up. for those predisposed to seizures or epilepsy, the fast 120Hz flicker of the display or the shutter glasses could very well throw someone into a tonic-clonic fit.

will s3d harm you if you use it recreationally? probably not. but sitting there for 8 hours at a clip over the course of one, two, three times a week for a year could easily have undesirable effects. this is not meant to be fear mongering or to discredit the posts or thoughts of previous posters, but to inform the public that caution with s3d use is prudent – not because I can show you definitive proof it will hurt you; rather, because there is no clinical data showing the impact of using passive or active shutter glasses over a long period of time (or even a short period).

so we cannot say (within any confidence interval or with statistical significance) that there is data to support the hypothesis that s3d technology is safe in the short or long-term. I cannot sleep now, time to go watch a movie in 3D LOL.
:woot
Neil

3D Warnings: Legit or Over the Top?

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Samsung Logo

When there are millions (billions?) of dollars at stake, it's completely understandable for legal departments to be cautious.  For us, it's important to remember that many MTBS members have been using this tech for years in countless shapes and forms with no ill effects.

Return to “MTBS News”